Not open for further replies.

Quintero

All Australian
May 16, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
River Plate
If it comes at the expense of froggy and a pick, id be inclined to say no. If we move on Ben McKay perhaps what we get back might be enough to satisfy port

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Ash will be better than Dumont by half way through the 2nd Q in Round 1.

He is too slow and not good enough with ball in hand to be a lock in any team.

I'd bite their hand off for a straight swap with Howard and would happily add a 2nd Rounder of that got the deal over the line.

The only way I'd suggest he is a lock is of something happened to Cunners or Ziebs. Playing all 3 is footy suicide, especially against the faster teams.

pupstar

Club Legend
Aug 12, 2017
cairns
AFL Club
North Melbourne

I'd bite their hand off for a straight swap with Howard and would happily add a 2nd Rounder of that got the deal over the line.

The only way I'd suggest he is a lock is of something happened to Cunners or Ziebs. Playing all 3 is footy suicide, especially against the faster teams.
Shaw disagreed.

Thewlis Dish

Cancelled
10k Posts
Sep 9, 2003
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
FGR
If it comes at the expense of froggy and a pick, id be inclined to say no. If we move on Ben McKay perhaps what we get back might be enough to satisfy port

I wouldn't trade Dumont, but the idea that we could get a ready made KPD on long contract for little cost is a bit fanciful. I expect his value would fall somewhere between our first and second picks. McKay on the other hand isn't worth much at all.

the flying ham

Cancelled
Dec 12, 2006
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I wouldn't trade Dumont, but the idea that we could get a ready made KPD on long contract for little cost is a bit fanciful. I expect his value would fall somewhere between our first and second picks. McKay on the other hand isn't worth much at all.
Im not advocating for him so not fanciful thinking at all.

More to the point, is he good enough to spend a pick in the late teens on? No. Omitted and couldn't get back in for the last month.

If he wants to come, great. Have a pick in the 30s or 40s.

received_416874752302064.jpeg

Thewlis Dish

Cancelled
10k Posts
Sep 9, 2003
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
FGR
Im not advocating for him so not fanciful thinking at all.

More to the point, is he good enough to spend a pick in the late teens on? No. Omitted and couldn't get back in for the last month.

If he wants to come, great. Have a pick in the 30s or 40s.

You'd be trading for him on his exposed form as a key defender, which is very good. Not on his stint forward and Hinkley's bizarre selection routines.

the flying ham

Cancelled
Dec 12, 2006
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Hamling came from the clouds to have a big finals series and Adams played six games in his last season at the Dogs. Plus both were uncontracted and not interested in re-signing.
Adams was injured. Not omitted. And yes, both were playing regular senior football. Not 2s. Not behind defensive stalwarts such as Westhoff the Grey or Trent McKenzie.

As for his contract, if port play him in the 2s then shop him around, hardly bumps up his trade value

Egga

Cancelled
North Melbourne - 2018 Luke Davies-Uniacke and Paul Ahern Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2016 Daw & Anderson Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2015 Daw & MacMillan Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2014 Daw, Black, Gibson Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship
Nov 10, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Moti

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 4, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Agreed

Rad Roo

Premiership Player
Aug 2, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
the star players will not be coming until we have a solid base. We should try to get talented players but also those ready to go up the curve. Sam murray is one we need to pick up for he will make our backline more slick and he is desperate to prove his use after his drug use. Give the bloke a chance and he will thrive like marley. Cutting of hartung was a bullshit call but he would be handy on the wing. woods perhaps as a half back flanker could turn him into a star yet. More midfield time for thomas, garner, zurhaar in 2020 to make them more versatile. atley on-ball will be a game breaker. ziebell to chf and cunnington used only for general stoppage.

Nov 25, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Tonight's result is a huge lesson for our club. You will not build a sustainable premiership team without a core of young elite talent maturing together. Geelong, Sydney and Hawthorn once had it but no longer. All have been cheating for the last few years - shunning the draft and stealing players from other teams to stay in contention. In the fierce heat of finals, gravity got Geelong tonight. Richmond have that core and they're certainties next week. So, for me, adding Papley, Howard and the like won't do diddly squat without that elite young core. We've got a start, a fair start actually, with the likes of TT. Jy, LDU, CZ, Larkey, Scott and Ahern, but the job is not done. Rhyce, shelve the B and C graders and hit this draft hard. Trade out but not in.

Jul 26, 2007
The Tree
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal, Coney Island Warriors
Tonight's result is a huge lesson for our club. You will not build a sustainable premiership team without a core of young elite talent maturing together. Geelong, Sydney and Hawthorn once had it but no longer. All have been cheating for the last few years - shunning the draft and stealing players from other teams to stay in contention. In the fierce heat of finals, gravity got Geelong tonight. Richmond have that core and they're certainties next week. So, for me, adding Papley, Howard and the like won't do diddly squat without that elite young core. We've got a start, a fair start actually, with the likes of TT. Jy, LDU, CZ, Larkey, Scott and Ahern, but the job is not done. Rhyce, shelve the B and C graders and hit this draft hard. Trade out but not in.

Papley and Howard are young enough to form part of an elite young core. In fact they sit in a demographic we failed to draft well in. The last thing we should sniff at is high quality KP and small forwards at only 23.

The sad thing is, I think Boomer is in good enough condition to play in 2020. It was a crime against humanity to force him into retirement when we did and try to hold onto Wells who had significant longevity issues.
Like your researched posts. You are talking or of your ass here and rewriting history. Loved Harvey in his day. Harvey played a year too long. I think Higgins club first attitude was at least partly forged in such fires.

2020? Ha ha ha

I think he would complement Polec nicely. Both have class, but Polec will do more scoreboard damage while Gaff would get more ball. But we may well be wasting our time, as there is no indication this is likely to happen.
The attempted acquisition of two gun wingmen last year was meant to aline with what we did two summers ago when we changed the surface at Arden Street to resemble the dimensions at Docklands. It was meant to help us adapt and have some similarities with our home ground as we know. Smart thinking.
We target Polec and Gaff, with both their playing styles suited at Docklands, landing Hall instead when Gaff stayed in Perth.
What was the club’s next move? We implement a handball happy gameplan that killed our season before it began and the coach was sacked. Not to mention we sell another home game to Hobart, reducing our number of games at Marvel.
That’s North in a nutshell this century. We are own worse enemy.

We literally bent them over less than a year ago.
Nah, we gave them future HOF and game legend Rozee remember? We didn’t win 🙄 just like the Jacobs trade was a bust!

Jun 8, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Agree, but also keep in mind about 25% of Richmond’s side is made up of players from other sides.
You can do both, just need to be smart about it.

Last edited:

Dirty_11

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 28, 2014
Beneath the Blue & White
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Shinboners
I agree a core group of young players is ideal and we have that to a degree, but it was Lynch that won Richmond that game, a free agent. Prestia, Caddy and Houli have also been pivotal. There is always room to bring in players to better a list. We did this in the 90's also.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back