List Mgmt. 2019 Trade & Free Agency Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 25, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Whilst I’d love to think the GWS stink fest from yesterday will lead to an exodus of their players and we will be the beneficiaries, there is an article on the AFL website which demonstrates what many have said in that it will be the big clubs that benefit:

Of their best 15 players to leave, 2 went west (both Freo) and 13 to Victoria. Of the 13 to Vic, 9 went to big clubs (Pies & Blues x 3 ea, Ess x 2 & Haw x 1).

Only St. Kilda is over-represented as a small club with 2, but they were Bruce and Steele, so not exactly cream of the crop.

The other two small clubs to get one each were Melbourne and Bulldogs.

Egga

Cancelled
North Melbourne - 2018 Luke Davies-Uniacke and Paul Ahern Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2016 Daw & Anderson Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2015 Daw & MacMillan Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2014 Daw, Black, Gibson Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship
Nov 10, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Welcome to North Melbourne Big Footy. The only place on earth where people fall in and out of love faster than a ladyboy on Pat Pong Road.

Passmore

Brownlow Medallist
May 22, 2001
The Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Norf
Sit down kelly and Taranto in a room with our coach - then wheel in a million in cash and say first one that agrees gets the deal.

Then we’ll see if they’re that loyal
We've basically tried that. It's not going to work.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

I too have been bitterly disappointed by the Kelly, Gaff and Dusty scenarios.

However, I feel that Gaff and Dusty were facing very tumultuous periods in their lives and Kelly, a part of a foundational group seeking to make history and being a key part of that, chose to fulfill that team goal - so I’m ok with that snd it’s been proven that it’s very very hard to get players to shift clubs unless they want out.

I wouldn’t want to see North continue to invest time in those guys but if one or all three came out and said, it’s time for a change for me and I choose North Melbourne - I’m all in.

Last edited:

Rad Roo

Premiership Player
Aug 2, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I've been on this board for twenty odd years and bugger me if this isn't the worst post I've ever read. You're over the moon that Richmond won. fu**in hell, just unbelievable.

Richmond story is just so fascinating and inspiring. By contrast we have huffed and puffed to be simply mediocre. If we don't play our cards well with the new regime, Carlton will leapfrog us. Also Richmond gas shown that you don't need that many superstars to win a flag but you need to have the right support players and very solid foundation to lay the ground work.

Rad Roo

Premiership Player
Aug 2, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
By contrast, our team has tried to compete and all we achieve is staying afloat and nothing beyond that. If our philosophy does not change we will be perennial mid table stragglers. We lack the vision and imagination and finicial nous to make us a truly well rounded club. We operate much like a suburban football club where it’s mainly about footy with some business where it should be the other way around. We need more creativity on and off the field. Some of those loyal north players might need to be moved for the right players to move in. Deadwood need to be cut out. We need to get a lot more professional and become a lot more mature in our business side of things.

Richmond story is just so fascinating and inspiring. By contrast we have huffed and puffed to be simply mediocre. If we don't play our cards well with the new regime, Carlton will leapfrog us. Also Richmond gas shown that you don't need that many superstars to win a flag but you need to have the right support players and very solid foundation to lay the ground work.

That's a fair point. Lets hope our new coach understands what we need to succeed.

Richmond's second rung mids - our equivalent of Jed, Jy, TT, LDU, Dumont etc etc - and their flankers run their guts out from contest to contest. (Dunno about the likes of Martin, Cotchin and Prestia or Pickett yesterday. IE The Higgo's and Cunner's of our side.) I wonder how much of that role Turner plays and could he play more. They swarm when they do it too. They also seem to know exactly where to go and what to do.

You don't need to maintain this for a whole game just long enough for the opposition to break.

This is just work rate and comes from training and the coach and teams expectations. Anyone can do it if they work hard enough for long enough. Match fitness on the MCG doesn't hurt I spose.

I'm hoping Shaw can deal with this because I would have thought the Swans had better fitness while he was with them, especially the years around their last flag. Surely he's noticed this. Reportedly he's already implemented skills training. Finally it was clear from Whitecross's interview and his use of the term "clarity of role" repeatedly that things were a bit of a schemozzle under Scott.

If those issues are dealt with well then I can see several of our problems disappearing this season. If not then we probably won't go anywhere.

Nov 25, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Whilst I’d love to think the GWS stink fest from yesterday will lead to an exodus of their players and we will be the beneficiaries, there is an article on the AFL website which demonstrates what many have said in that it will be the big clubs that benefit:

Of their best 15 players to leave, 2 went west (both Freo) and 13 to Victoria. Of the 13 to Vic, 9 went to big clubs (Pies & Blues x 3 ea, Ess x 2 & Haw x 1).

Only St. Kilda is over-represented as a small club with 2, but they were Bruce and Steele, so not exactly cream of the crop.

The other two small clubs to get one each were Melbourne and Bulldogs.
Not likely to get any GWS players for quite awhile if that campaigner Dave Matthews has anything to do with it. He's still seething over us jacking up Kelly's salary. It cost them Shiel and probably Smith. Remember his comments that GWS had absolutely no interest in players from " that club". Here's the thing Dave. Your premiership campaign was shot when you spluttered into 6th and you were clearly basted before yesterday. Should have taken Goldy rather than reheating Mummy when you had the chance. Maybe a top 4 spot might have beckoned. You know what they say about pride.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cancelled
Aug 4, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Not much love for Josh Kelly here atm, I too am disappointed we couldn't land him, but as far as his football ability is concerned, is, and will remain an Elite player, and may actually regret his decision to stay put up there anyway, such is life.

these guys are elite because they play in great teams. Kelly has a bad day because the team stunk yesterday. Same goes for any of the very good players in the comp. We have a new coaching team and hopefully they will lift our team by making each player better, then we’ll see the cream rise to the top and our best players will have the opportunity to become elite (hopefully).
btw im not not sticking up for Kell, couldn’t give a rats if his head literally fell of mid game. He like others that we have offered contracts to over many years are irrelevant.

pupstar

Club Legend
Aug 12, 2017
cairns
AFL Club
North Melbourne
these guys are elite because they play in great teams. Kelly has a bad day because the team stunk yesterday. Same goes for any of the very good players in the comp. We have a new coaching team and hopefully they will lift our team by making each player better, then we’ll see the cream rise to the top and our best players will have the opportunity to become elite (hopefully).
btw im not not sticking up for Kell, couldn’t give a rats if his head literally fell of mid game. He like others that we have offered contracts to over many years are irrelevant.
[/QUOTE Kelly would be elite in any team period.

shimaburnsgrieg

Premiership Player
Apr 1, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Agreed he has had a down year on his high standards but his down year would nearly translate to a break out year for a lot of players. Like him or not for not coming to us he would improve us 10 fold.
Of course he would improve us - that wouldn't be hard to do - but the idea of giving him $9m over 9 years or whatever it was is now just a fanciful waste of salary cap space.

He is cream and yesterday was a bad sign for mine - he needs a winning mid field to help him use his skills and he wont have that at North.

We need to spend our millions on the Dusty type of player - ie those elite few that are ale to influence the contest - they don't rely on others to assist them - they get the job done by themselves.

pupstar

Club Legend
Aug 12, 2017
cairns
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Of course he would improve us - that wouldn't be hard to do - but the idea of giving him $9m over 9 years or whatever it was is now just a fanciful waste of salary cap space.

He is cream and yesterday was a bad sign for mine - he needs a winning mid field to help him use his skills and he wont have that at North.

We need to spend our millions on the Dusty type of player - ie those elite few that are ale to influence the contest - they don't rely on others to assist them - they get the job done by themselves.
So you where originally against getting him I presume. So what Dusty type do you think we should target.

Feb 11, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
So you where originally against getting him I presume. So what Dusty type do you think we should target.
I think we should try to get as many of the 2017 draft class together. Cerra or Dow are the ones I’d try to get.
I think Rayner is a bridge to far but I’d still be dropping $$ in front of.

No * em.

Richmond are one of the establishment teams that kept North out of the VFL and agreed to the restrictive zoning that kept us uncompetitive for 50 years after joining the VFL.

They've also got the full backing of the AFL because of their supporter base which makes it easier for them to get more supporters, members and crowds and they get an armchair ride with MCG fixturing while we got shafted to docklands with a financially horrible deal.

And the smug feral supporters base love to laud it over us with their "how many flags has your minnow club won bullshit" .

They can GAGF.

Last edited:

kaboom kid

From the River to the Sea, Israel will be free.
Apr 28, 2016
Destination club
AFL Club
North Melbourne
At least Trade Radio starts tomorrow (I think), always good for continual champagne comedy from the likes of the List Manager, Purple Warrior, Sam McClueless, etc etc
Far out...Is that a honour roll of the world's greatest mouth breathing cretins?

kaboom kid

From the River to the Sea, Israel will be free.
Apr 28, 2016
Destination club
AFL Club
North Melbourne
No fu** em.

Richmond are one of the establishment teams that kept North out of the VFL and agreed to the restrictive zoning that kept us uncompetitive for 50 years after joining the VFL.

They've also got the full backing of the AFL because of their supporter base which makes it easier for them to get more supporters, members and crowds and they get an armchair ride with MCG fixturing while we got shafted to docklands with a financially horrible deal.

And the smug feral supporters base love to laud it over us with there how many flags have you won bulls**t.

They can GAGF.
POTY by the length of the Flemington straight...

FlyHigh18

Arden St Parking Inspector
May 8, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Yeah, and all of those players will go to their home states or one of essendon, Richmond, Collingwood or Hawthorn. Look at the prelims..Prestia, caddy, lynch, Dangerfield, Ablett (came back), Treloar, Adams. Apart from polec, good players aren't going to pick us.

Too true mate, unfortunately.

Yet ppl still don’t understand why we must pay overs for players to come.

It’s not “overs”, it’s simply what it takes to bring in some established talent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back