Opinion 2019 Trade Period - Pass or Fail

How do you rate the AFC's 2019 trade period?

• Reid smashed it! King of the world!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'm ok with it. Reckon we got rid of some deadwood and have come out on top.

Votes: 38 31.7%
  • I'll let you know in 3 years.

Votes: 17 14.2%
  • Not reamed, but feeling a little sore around the edges.

Votes: 44 36.7%
  • WTF just happened?!?

Votes: 21 17.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Really happy with what we did.

Not one of those players that left doesn't have a young option waiting in the wings.

I love Brouch, he is probably my favourite player ... would have been fine with him leaving for better $$$ if it meant we got a great deal from GC, but so happy that I can watch him improve again in our colours for another year.

We are not as stuffed as people are thinking for 2020, still a pretty good core of experience and talent.

Lots and lots of upside - and we will be a very young and energetic group. Maybe will find the back end of the season tough, but lots of hope that our 2nd and 3rd year players will step up with a new coach's view on selection and where to play each player.

Would have liked another established player , such as Bonar. Was practically given away. Would have liked Nicks to have got into His ear to come to us. Or even get Jack Martin involved in exchange for Greenwood

I said it several times over the last month, if Bonar went anywhere it would be only Melbourne and either the Saints or Roos because of his very close friendship with Hunter Clark [Saints] or Luke Davies-Unakie [Kangaroos]. With what the Saints already had on their plate it became very obvious it was going to be the Kangaroos who like you said look to have got a steal.

Interesting to compare our picks from 2018 & 2019, and current standings using Lore's tables...

afc-2018-2019-picks-jpg.766167

We've effectively got a pick #7's points worth up on last year.

Ed. Future picks wise:

Gained: Gee r2 ... WB r2 ... GC r3 ... GC r4 ... GWS r4 ... Carl r4

Lost: GC r3 to Gee ... r3 to WB ... GWS r4 to Port

Good analysis, I think he could of tried to do something with the picks in the 20's. It feels like we are going all in on the draft but with only okay picks.

C- to a plain C at best. Did what it said on the box, took virtually no risks but didn't lose anyone of utmost importance.

Terrible, this team really has given in. Have not been satisfied with a trade for a very, very long time. Luckily the Wooden spoon is guaranteed next year, we need that as a wakeup call.

We're not guaranteed the wooden spoon, not even close, come off it.

I think we did what we needed to this trade period. With our obvious plans to re-build and off load older players we could've got reamed but I'm okay with it all. I'm quite excited about Frampton. Cheap get but could be anything.
Time now to kill it in the draft.

Cleaned out a lot of deadwood that are in the way of our 3-5 year players getting a game next year, so that’s a win.

Maybe could’ve got slightly more for Greenwood, but he’s not suddenly turning into an AA mid at the Suns or catapulting us back up the ladder, so it’s not a loss. Par.

Keath deal is par but would’ve preferred to keep him. Pick 13 was a pipe dream but was ****ed once Saints accepted 32 for Bruce who is a better player and contracted.

Jenkins deal is an absolute win, can’t believe we got anything. That should end the leaks to Caro.

Betts was a sad one, but had to happen for Stengle and McHenry to develop.

Did well on the compo for CEY and allows us to see if Poholke can actually succeed in the position he dominates at sanfl level.

Jacobs for Frampton is an absolute steal, massive win that one.

All in all it was the trade period that had to happen for our club to start rebuilding and promoting the youth we already have, it was never about bringing in 25+ year old fringe players from other clubs. The bundle of picks we have next year now hopefully gives us plenty of ammo for the trade and draft next year. If Mackay was let go I would be over the moon with our off season so far, but alas I’ll settle for being content and excited to see how this all unfolds next season.

I'd give it a pass. The frustration for mine was the massive fail on greenwood - The AFL should have guaranteed us pick 20 from GC for smashing our pick trade and ruining our bargaining power with GWS re Tom Green. I was also really hoping we would end up with another 1st round pick and keep pick 4. a pick at 13 would have been super as it is right in the sweet spot. But it might still happen (us trading up). Other than that, we moved on many we wanted to and have given the drafters a suite of picks to bring in more youth for the new regime to work with

Most trade periods you expect to win some, lose some and break even on some. We didn't win any this year, either broke even or lost the deals.

Good that we managed to move all of the older guys on and I didn't think we would win any of those. Keath and Greenwood were both losses for mine.

We may still manage to weave some magic with draft picks on draft night but at the moment I think overall it is a slight fail.
A Ruck/Forward Frampton [knowing JJ was going] for an unhappy cooked veteran Ruckman Jacobs looks like a pretty good deal to me and a win on face value

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We are doing a re-build with bang average draft picks in a reported average draft.

Would be interesting too see how many drafted this year is still on the list in 5 years time.

I'm a pessimist on this one.

Depends on your expectations coming into trade week i guess. Did you come in thinking a 28 year old with 30 games to his name, a Cat B rookie who cant run out a full game, a washed small forward and a tall forward who we were desperate to see the back of, would gather us multiple first round picks? Then yeah you're probably furious at the club.

Me personally? Its neither here nor there. Did what we set out to do. Most importantly we kept 4 and didn't trade out and once again kick the can down the road.

Interesting to compare our picks from 2018 & 2019, and current standings using Lore's tables...

afc-2018-2019-picks-jpg.766167

We've effectively got a pick #7's points worth up on last year.

Ed. Future picks wise:

Gained: Gee r2 ... WB r2 ... GC r3 ... GC r4 ... GWS r4 ... Carl r4

Lost: GC r3 to Gee ... r3 to WB ... GWS r4 to Port

Yeah, we should probably just ignore the drafts comparative qualities.

Terrible, this team really has given in. Have not been satisfied with a trade for a very, very long time. Luckily the Wooden spoon is guaranteed next year, we need that as a wakeup call.

Jenkins? Fog almost kicked half as many goals as Jenkins in 4 games. Jenkins is the half the reason Fog wasn't playing.

Betts 6 of 21 games he was goal-less. 33 when the season starts.

Keath I think would have done well staying and a bit dissapointed. He'll be 28 at the start of the season.

Greenwood 14 games 17 disposal avg under a goal average, just average. 28 when season starts.

CEY is one of the most ordinary mids i've seen the last few years. slow, plays upright, doesn't kick goals for a tall mid, zero X factor.

Jacobs 5 games, we have ROB. 32 when season starts.

I'm usually positive but we really needed to get more value for Greenwood and Keath. They are bargains for other clubs. Through the season I was advocating them to be traded cos I thought they had decent value (talking early second) and I thought we needed a clean out anyway.

Pretty poor result in the end re: those two.

Chased no one of note.

Frampton is a bit meh for me. Neither good nor bad.

Other than that we have gotten rid of a bunch of older players with none of them being a significant loss. That's a positive.

Let's call this year zero.

On SM-G920I using BigFooty.com mobile app

We are doing a re-build with bang average draft picks in a reported average draft.

Would be interesting too see how many drafted this year is still on the list in 5 years time.

I'm a pessimist on this one.
Last year's draft was considered better at the top end mainly because of the projected elite tall prospects not available this year but IMO this draft runs deeper than last year's draft with very decent players likely to have very good AFL careers. Put it this way I think this year's 2nd - 3rd rounds run deeper than 2018's draft.

I suspect the answer to your question may well be more from this years draft than last years may still be on an AFL list in 5 years time IMO.

Back