Opinion 2019 Trade Period - Pass or Fail

How do you rate the AFC's 2019 trade period?

• Reid smashed it! King of the world!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'm ok with it. Reckon we got rid of some deadwood and have come out on top.

Votes: 38 31.7%
  • I'll let you know in 3 years.

Votes: 17 14.2%
  • Not reamed, but feeling a little sore around the edges.

Votes: 44 36.7%
  • WTF just happened?!?

Votes: 21 17.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

WAG

The People's Captain
Mar 3, 2010
In the trenches.
AFL Club
Adelaide
Well there it is, done and dusted. CEY, Betts, Jacobs, Jenkins, Greenwood, Keath all on to greener pastures. Coming the other way... Billy Frampton and some picks into the fold.

How are you feeling at the moment? Is it the purge we had to have? Are the scales balanced as we head into 2020? Or did Reid leave his lube at home?

Last edited:

Pass easily. Didn't get smashed on any deal. The only unders one was Greenwood but we had the least ground to stand on that one.

Got rid of a lot of salary - doesn't matter we aren't paying some salary next year given they didn't get in the way of any recruits.

Not Reid's fault no-one except Frampton wanted to join.

List is in good shape. Not spectacular, not bad. Terry Wallace has the analytical depth of a puddle.

Over to you, Hamish with that nice little crop of selections.

Big things in 2020

Wins:

CEY for Pick 49. Not a trade but that's decent
Jacobs for Frampton. Thought we'd get nothing for Sauce.

Par:

Betts for 2020 4th. Had zero value
Keath for 2020 2nd (effectively). About right

Loss:

Jenkins and Greenwood for 37 and 2020 4th. Jenkins has no value but Greenwood was worth a pick in the 20s. Reamed hard on that one.

Moderate fail overall. Would have been nice to get a bit more from Keath and we were reamed with Greenwood

Wins:

Par:

Loss:

Jenkins and Greenwood for 37 and 2020 4th. Jenkins has no value but Greenwood was worth a pick in the 20s. Reamed hard on that one.

Moderate fail overall. Would have been nice to get a bit more from Keath and we were reamed with Greenwood

Sorry what were our alternatives to accepting Greenwood offer?

What I posted in the other thread:

Is this our best draft hand ever?

37 isn't a late pick by any stretch and we have 4 picks inside that (incl 37). Only GC (AFL handout) and Geelong (losing one of the best players in the comp) have that.

Yer a little bit dissapointed with Greenwood and Keath trades.

If Jenkins became as toxic as they're hinting at, almost nothing was an ok deal.

Jacobs was par.

CEY was above expectation.

Plus I still think we have a couple of late picks next yr to help with NGA etc.

Possibly even just below a passing grade but not the end of the world, gotta remember our recruitment and dev should be able to work some gold with that hand. Lots of SA lads spread throughout our total range and we have a nice spread of picks to match up (though port and a few others will nab some of the more highly rated ones, so don't melt too bad when they do, we cant get all of them).

EDIT: Ooops forgot about Betts, he was par and happy to keep Knight (and Brouch :drunk: )

Interesting to compare our picks from 2018 & 2019, and current standings using Lore's tables...

afc-2018-2019-picks-jpg.766167

We've effectively got a pick #7's points worth up on last year.

Ed. Future picks wise:

Gained: Gee r2 ... WB r2 ... GC r3 ... GC r4 ... GWS r4 ... Carl r4

Lost: GC r3 to Gee ... r3 to WB ... GWS r4 to Port

Last edited:
Thought we might've been able to bundle a 2nd with Keath for 13 but as soon as St Kilda settled for 32 for Bruce that took the rug out from under us.

Very happy though that we've moved out all the ringleaders of sook.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It was average, I think to be rated as good we needed some higher picks which may still come.

Reid was told he was bassically only allowed picks, move out some dead wood and do it in as little fuss as possible. He achieved all that. CEY was the only one who gave us a whack and he got to the club of his choice.

It was a fairly easy trade period for him as he didn't have to bring players in.

Any other year we could of pushed hard on Greenwood and even Keith but it wasn't the trade period for us to do that.

Most trade periods you expect to win some, lose some and break even on some. We didn't win any this year, either broke even or lost the deals.

Good that we managed to move all of the older guys on and I didn't think we would win any of those. Keath and Greenwood were both losses for mine.

We may still manage to weave some magic with draft picks on draft night but at the moment I think overall it is a slight fail.

A club that needs cleaning out and refreshing, cleaned out.

Pass.

Would've liked some more steals to our trades, but in all seriousness I cannot see any of our losses doing anything decent for their new team, besides maybe Keath and CEY.

Keath could be a solid defender for Bulldogs.

CEY could be a 20pos mid and kick his few goals here and there but he's no game changer.

Greenwood will avg 15pos and a few goals here and there.

Betts won't kick more than 20 goals.

Jacobs won't do much.

Jenkins won't do anything.

So I'm ok with it all. Plus all of these guys will either be pushing 30 or in Betts case apply for his pension after 2020.

easy, a win. got rid of a lot of deadweight who wouldnt play next year, and got rid of some of the loose lips of it by the sounds of it. keith the only loss of any real note. still have pick 4 to look forward too.
Eight older players gone. Most of them we won't miss. Either fading away or not being picked anyway

Andy Otten (Retired)
Richard Douglas (Delisted)
Sam Jacobs (GWS)
Hugh Greenwood (GC)
Alex Keath (Western Bulldogs)
Eddie Betts (Carlton)
Josh Jenkins (Geelong)
Cameron Ellis-Yolmen (Brisbane)

Got less back for some of them than we'd like but apart from retaining Mackay it was the list culling we needed.

Terrible, this team really has given in. Have not been satisfied with a trade for a very, very long time. Luckily the Wooden spoon is guaranteed next year, we need that as a wakeup call.

Wins:

Par:

Loss:

Jenkins for pick 37 is a win any-day.

Back