Opinion 2019 Trade Period - Pass or Fail

How do you rate the AFC's 2019 trade period?

• Reid smashed it! King of the world!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'm ok with it. Reckon we got rid of some deadwood and have come out on top.

Votes: 38 31.7%
  • I'll let you know in 3 years.

Votes: 17 14.2%
  • Not reamed, but feeling a little sore around the edges.

Votes: 44 36.7%
  • WTF just happened?!?

Votes: 21 17.5%

• Total voters

Elite Crow

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Mar 21, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Don’t care about next year. We got enough future picks, plus academy and f/s players for next year

we needed a pick we could use this year rather than what everyone expected us to get for Jenkins which was something in the 90’s
So you happy with what we got for Greenwood?

I see this trade period as a fail but not for the reasons most are saying.

Are the transactions wins or losses? Who cares. We traded very little of value, 10 percent more of nothing is still nothing.

More importantly, what is our list management strategy to get closer to win a premiership?

Are we contending next year? If so, why didn't we keep Keath and one of Greenwood / CEY?

Are we rebuilding next year? If so, why do we still have Lynch (29) Gibbs (31) on our list blocking kids from playing, and why didn't we trade a one or two of Smith (28) BCrouch (26) while they still have value?

Nope, we are just muddling along, happy to be somewhere between 5th and 10th, happy to have 45,000 fans turn up each week, happy to be mediocre forever.

I can't say I'm disappointed because this is exactly what I expected.

I would say by all of our moves we're firmly going for the refresh. You still want to hold onto your genuinely good players, so I'm happy to retain Smith, and Brouch. After all, we need to win some games next year just to help with morale, and the kids development.

That said, we've cut pretty deeply this off season with 7-8 gone who were in and around our best 22, and it's most likely a two season process to cut everyone we want to so Lynch/Gibbs are most likely gone next year. They can wait, as otherwise, we're just digging through really late picks to replace them.

Sidthehat

All Australian
Oct 7, 2017
London
AFL Club
Adelaide
Laid down way too easy for Greenwood. Keath disappointing but can just about accept with focus on next year's compo. Others fine.

Bigger picture though, there was talk about Laird, Smith and Crouch (x2) going. We've only lost one definite best 22 and it remains to be seen how much better than alternative he'll be without Talia behind him. Whatever you think of Cornes at least he makes this point rather than rubbish about exodus, turn out the lights stuff that Barrett/McClure come out with.

scoota10

Club Legend
Nov 20, 2010
By the W/Adelaide BBQ
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
West Adelaide
Being a Dumb Poster.:huh: is this the end of the Trades, Swap Picks, and Delistings
So we wait for the Nat Draft or WAIT there's More if so would some explain what's next
My head can't take to much more (Bring on the Pre Seasoning Training)
and Heaps of GYM work for Jones,McHenry,Sholl,Davis,Mcadam,Butts,Murphy,Hamill,
The all could do with a extra 5kg on.

Oct 15, 2012
Hobart
AFL Club
Adelaide
Oct 15, 2012
Hobart
AFL Club
Adelaide
The first team will likely be slightly older than average

If the senior guys like Lynch Gibbs DMac all play 22 games then we will be close to this year's average age which was about 26.5.
Our oldest half dozen players are...

Mackay 31
Gibbs 30
Sloane 29
Walker 29
Lynch 29
Talia 28

Crouch b&f 25

If Gibbs gets back to somewhere near his average, and Mackay plays as the experienced SANFL player... That does not look too bad to me.

Compare it to Geelong...

Ablett 35
Taylor 33
Selwood 31
Hawkins 31
Jenkins 30
Touhy 29

Dangerfield b&f 29

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

Ramses Red

Team Captain
Sep 29, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
With snifter of brandy in hand a night of deep contemplation was had. Overall would've liked to get more in return, namely in the Keath and Greenwood trades, but we did what we had to do I guess. Sent the elderly and incontinent on their way. Made some space in our cap possibly shaping up for a shot at Grundy next year. Not thrilled but I'm at ease with trade period. Twas but the recession we had to have... or some s**t

On SM-A520F using BigFooty.com mobile app

arsene wenger1

Premiership Player
Jul 14, 2009
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Laid down way too easy for Greenwood. Keath disappointing but can just about accept with focus on next year's compo. Others fine.

Bigger picture though, there was talk about Laird, Smith and Crouch (x2) going. We've only lost one definite best 22 and it remains to be seen how much better than alternative he'll be without Talia behind him. Whatever you think of Cornes at least he makes this point rather than rubbish about exodus, turn out the lights stuff that Barrett/McClure come out with.
Never though I’d say this, but kornes is 100% better to listen to than McClure and Barrett, his opinions are unbiased compared to those other 2

Tex200

Cancelled
10k Posts Podcaster
Dec 24, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
As many hav me already said, it’s hard to accurately assess anyway until we have our final draft order.

Little doubt there will be some additional pick swapping to come. Even so, our current draft hand ranks #2 which is pretty good.

By the time our new draftees come in our average will have plummeted.

Crouch#44

Club Legend
Sep 8, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
I’ve given the reasons why I believe it’s epic.

Are we rebuilding or not? Loading up with a bunch of average picks ain’t going to cut it. We should have traded out some real currency and brought in quality picks for a proper rebuild.

I dont feel we are rebuilding just refreshing.

If rebuilding Tex, Sloane, Talia, Smith, laird would of been for sale...

Elite Crow

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
If all we could get was a 3rd rounder for him then I would’ve held out, but for a 2nd it seems fair
It’s not a second. The second we got will very closely be matched by the third we gave away. We couldn’t even manage to give the future fourth rounder back instead of the third. That’s pathetic.

moses

Premiership Player
May 17, 2004
Home
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
GWS
Couldn't possible judge it at this stage, given we have traded out known quantities for draft picks (to which none of us are privvy to draft strategy). 5 picks within the top 50 young players in the draft could be excellent long term, 5 young guys all developing together.

Elite Crow

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Couldn't possible judge it at this stage, given we have traded out known quantities for draft picks (to which none of us are privvy to draft strategy). 5 picks within the top 50 young players in the draft could be excellent long term, 5 young guys all developing together.
The best 3 picks we have we already had. The best we brought in was 37. We added very average picks, the chances of them being the elite talent we need are very remote.

moses

Premiership Player
May 17, 2004
Home
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
GWS
The best 3 picks we have we already had. The best we brought in was 37. We added very average picks, the chances of them being the elite talent we need are very remote.
Clearly the strategy was to offload the players we did for whatever we could get our hands on. Can't judge players we haven't picked up yet though

kulak

Premiership Player
May 16, 2006
Sydney!!!
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
GWS
Our oldest half dozen players are...

Mackay 31
Gibbs 30
Sloane 29
Walker 29
Lynch 29
Talia 28

Crouch b&f 25

If Gibbs gets back to somewhere near his average, and Mackay plays as the experienced SANFL player... That does not look too bad to me.

Compare it to Geelong...

Ablett 35
Taylor 33
Selwood 31
Hawkins 31
Jenkins 30
Touhy 29

Dangerfield b&f 29

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
Yes Geelong are really old.

If we pick DMac Lynch Gibbs every game we will be almost as old

The age profile of a team which thinks it can win the flag

Jarman3

Premiership Player
Oct 22, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
Being a Dumb Poster.:huh: is this the end of the Trades, Swap Picks, and Delistings
So we wait for the Nat Draft or WAIT there's More if so would some explain what's next

Picks swaps can continue to happen any time from now right up until (and during) the draft.

Delistings can still happen... I'm not sure what the cut off for those are, but I assume it has to be in time for those players to nominate for the draft.

Delisted free agents can still sign with clubs - again, I'm not sure exactly when that starts / finishes.

Feb 3, 2004
in a happy place
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
panthers, ukraine & broncos

Picks swaps can continue to happen any time from now right up until (and during) the draft.

Delistings can still happen... I'm not sure what the cut off for those are, but I assume it has to be in time for those players to nominate for the draft.

Delisted free agents can still sign with clubs - again, I'm not sure exactly when that starts / finishes.

It's not like there is a thread up the top of this forum with all that info in it or anything... ;)

Back