List Mgmt. 2019 trade prospects

Remove this Banner Ad

The thinking is pretty simple.

Don't spend money or assets on a ruckman because it's the least important position on the field.

Most premiership teams in the past decade did not have a gun ruckman so why bother? Grundy in particular got smashed by a pair of mediocre rucks.
I guess it all depends on what connotations you put on the word "Simple".

What other club has been in this situation we are hypothetically in?

Carlton last year perhaps (though with us having reasons to cut and run), Fremantle with McPherson but really that's quite it.

Usually stars want out of the bottom 3, not in.

Which shows the point precisely: teams that don't have pick 1 have easily traded in gun players over the years. So you shouldn't need to spend pick 1.

Of course at the negotiating table, things will go a bit differently because the other party will see our pick and say they want it. If anything, the exact pick you DON'T want when trading for a player is pick 1.

Hes only got 1 more year on his contract. Id prefer a gun mid anyway. Dont think he influences and decides games like some are suggesting. I like him a lot, but he is no Danger/Dusty/Fyfe type player.

Hes only got 1 more year on his contract. Id prefer a gun mid anyway. Dont think he influences and decides games like some are suggesting. I like him a lot, but he is no Danger/Dusty/Fyfe type player.
17 Brownlow votes last year.

A top 4 finish in the 2018 AFLCA Award would seem to suggest AFL Coaches rate Ruckmen's input more than some posters on this Board....Incidentally Max Gawn was the winner. https://www.aflcoaches.com.au/awards/the-aflca-champion-player-of-the-year-award/leaderboard/2018

Currently sitting 8th on the AFLCA leaderboard in 2019. https://www.aflcoaches.com.au/awards/the-aflca-champion-player-of-the-year-award/leaderboard/2019

You will excuse me if I tend to go with the 18 AFL coaches over BF posters in this instance,

I never took the Grundy talk seriously but a midfield from;
Grundy, Sloane, Crouch, Crouch, Greenwood, CEY, Milera, Seedsman, Gibbs, Atkins, Knight, Gallucci, Jones, McHenry, Anderson/Rowell and Wilson could be coached from my couch blindfolded on game day next year.

That would be a serious tilt at a flag.

Don't think I could squeeze McKay, Douglas or Poholke in.

Don't worry, our selectors will find a way.

17 Brownlow votes last year.

A top 4 finish in the 2018 AFLCA Award would seem to suggest AFL Coaches rate Ruckmen's input more than some posters on this Board....Incidentally Max Gawn was the winner. https://www.aflcoaches.com.au/awards/the-aflca-champion-player-of-the-year-award/leaderboard/2018

Currently sitting 8th on the AFLCA leaderboard in 2019. https://www.aflcoaches.com.au/awards/the-aflca-champion-player-of-the-year-award/leaderboard/2019
Did Collingwood or Melbourne win the flag? No.
Richmond 2017 average ruckman.
Hawks 3peat average ruckman.
Dogs 2016 average ruck.

Overrated position. Nice to have for sure, but give me a gun mid any day.

https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/spor...y/news-story/c8a1b4f4d184359bd1f8d8791f052d74

Adelaide skipper Taylor Walker says it’s disrespectful to talk about poaching ‘Pies Brodie Grundy
"It’s understood Adelaide would have to offer at around $1.2 million per season to secure Grundy with Collingwood unlikely to match a market offer given its salary cap pressure.
Grundy could command a seven-year deal to come home to West Lakes."

Let's get the paperwork started

Dogs 2016 average ruck.

Gun player. I'd throw our hat in the ring. Might win more centre clearances. Big price tag though.

Dogs 2016 average ruck.

That is not a serious argument, You think West Coast wouldn't have won the Premiership if Nic Nat was playing....give me a break.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But they didn't. They didn't need him
Our mids are too slow and similar to compete with Collingwoods, West Coasts and Geelong. GWS too moving forward (Kelly, Coniglio, Taranto, Hopper).
Adding a ruck doesn’t fix that problem and no one on our list really stands out as a point of difference to match those sides. We all hope Milera becomes that player but as it is he hasn’t yet put it together and probably doesn’t have the size to match.

Our mids are too slow and similar to compete with Collingwoods, West Coasts and Geelong. GWS too moving forward (Kelly, Coniglio, Taranto, Hopper).
Adding a ruck doesn’t fix that problem and no one on our list really stands out as a point of difference to match those sides. We all hope Milera becomes that player but as it is he hasn’t yet put it together and probably doesn’t have the size to match.
Still big men who can move and are as athletic as Grundy are rare as. He will be 26 next year and his in his prime. Added bonus ...Eddie's face when collywobble gets smashed at center bounces by AFC.

Someone on the Collingwood board saying that Brayden Sier's player agent is shopping him to Adelaide.
Yes please. Only 21 yrs old. Has proven he can play at the level. Good size 190cm & 90kg. Fits the right age profile same as Milera, Doedee etc.

Yes please. Only 21 yrs old. Has proven he can play at the level. Good size 190cm & 90kg. Fits the right age profile same as Milera, Doedee etc.

I actually think this kid is a gun and has obviously felt the pinch with Beams being apart of the midfield - which probably has made him lose a bit of confidence as well, hence the reason he's not setting the VFL on fire not to mention a bit of injury as well.

I'd take him in a heartbeat. My question would be what are collingwood wanting.. because anything above a late 3rd rounder / 4th is overs despite his ability.

Why wouldn't we spend pick 1 on Grundy?

If we do manage to get Pick 1 - When was the last time AFC had a pick inside the top 3? One thing that helps win flags is talent and those type of players generally exist around pick 1. Not a given, but in the past few years I think it's safe to say Pick 1 has been pretty talented.

As someone else has mentioned the position of a ruckman is often overrated. Don't get me wrong Grundy is a beauty - probably a once in a lifetime style ruck. But guess what? Despite his talent, he still managed to get beat by Vardy and Lycett..

Give me Matt Rowell / Anderson every day of the week and if we're lucky enough to snag Grundy the following year as a FA then happy days. If not, meh.

Why on Earth would we trade pick 1. We develop players better than most, if not all clubs. Imagine when we have a player that is rated as the best out of their age crop in the country! Will be a brownlow winner.

During trade week, if he said “yep” to a trade to the crows, would you trade the Carlton pick to Collingwood or wait 12 months in hope to get him for free as a free agent?

I’m trading the Carlton pick now in case he changes his mind.
True. Attracting talent attracts talent. I 'm not a fan of 7-10 year contracts though, especially at 1.2/3 mil a year. 5 year max for a 26 year old.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back