List Mgmt. 2019 trade prospects

Remove this Banner Ad

Teams have however, had to trade out their first round pick (or multiple) to get gun players. Why should we assume a difference because one is numbered 1, instead of 8? There is no doubt to do this trade, should we, that Carltons pick is going to be the price. We may be able to put it in a situation that makes it just that instead of our 2020 pick to go with it.

The way I look at is this.

Take a player like Dylan Shiel for example. He was traded plus GWS' 2019 2nd rounder for Essendon's Pick 9 and 2019 1st. A classic case of two firsts for a player plus a second. Jake Lever another example, he was traded plus pick 35 for Pick 10 and Pick 16.

Pick 1 is worth way more than two picks in the 10-15 range. There is no club in the AFL that would trade Pick 1 for Pick 10 and 16 let alone throwing in a second rounder on top of pick 1.

Considering you don't need the entire value of pick 1 to buy basically any player traded in the last 10 years, we'd be much better off splitting the pick (if we did decide to trade for Grundy, which I still disagree with). Attempt something like 1 for picks 4 and 10, then offer either pick 4 alone, or pick 10 and our 2020 first.

In either case we end up better off. If they say bugger off, we take him as a free agent at the end of 2020 and Collingwood end up with a worse compensation pick

I think that this is the most likely scenario. But hopefully they'll have to stump up big time to retain him.

And in doing so, put them under enough cap pressure that they've got to shed players.

Or at the very least put them out of poaching anyone that we select round one later this year for years to come ;-)
Correct ....the dilemna for COLL is they have 16 uncontracted players to tie down .....they could do a Buddy and lose a couple as a result of signing Grundy

Correct ....the dilemna for COLL is they have 16 uncontracted players to tie down .....they could do a Buddy and lose a couple as a result of signing Grundy

They will do a Carlton IMO and rort the system. There is no way with the talent they have to keep them all under the salary cap.

They will do a Carlton IMO and rort the system. There is no way with the talent they have to keep them all under the salary cap.
The report is a 7 year contract .....so COLL will hope the the TPP cap will rise sufficiently enough, that they can carry part of his salary on the books, after he retires

In the history of free agency. No one has matched so far.

It'll happen eventually I suppose. But so far, with all of the FA moves under restricted FA, not once yet.
Danger (I know, the FA paperwork wasn't lodged but it was effectively matched)

If Grundy truly wants to come play for the Crows wouldn’t he want to help the club he’s going to? I.e via free agency (cough.. looking at you Bryce Gibbs).
Adding Rowell to Grundy and Rankine (2020 first) and all of a sudden 2021 looks pretty good.

Brown Talia Doedee
Laird Keath Gibbs
Smith Crouch Seedsman
Grundy Crouch Sloane
Lynch Himmelburg McHenry
Rankine Walker Greenwood
Milera Jones Rowell Atkins

Some absolute underrating of Grundy on this thread, suggestions of 1 first for him, or 2 late firsts are an absolute joke clearly said by people with their Crows coloured glasses on, the bloke is a superstar and will be the best ruck in the game for the next 5 years. Not that it matters though cause he won't be leaving Collingwood.

If Grundy truly wants to come play for the Crows wouldn’t he want to help the club he’s going to? I.e via free agency (cough.. looking at you Bryce Gibbs).
Adding Rowell to Grundy and Rankine (2020 first) and all of a sudden 2021 looks pretty good.

Brown Talia Doedee
Laird Keath Gibbs
Smith Crouch Seedsman
Grundy Crouch Sloane
Lynch Himmelburg McHenry
Rankine Walker Greenwood
Milera Jones Rowell Atkins
Think Fog > Tex in 2021

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would rather a star midfielder than a star ruckman. The role is overrated.

If obrien can become a B grade ruckman, we should settle on that and spend our high draft picks/money on other areas.
Grundy is a star midfielder, as well as being a superstar ruckman.

I dont really see Grundy as living up to that comment. He is fantastic, sure. But he is not a standout like you are suggesting. We are going through a rebuild now. We are better off getting a gun A-grade mid and adding him to Jones, McHenry, Fog, Milera, Doedee and so on.
I suggest you watch more of him, 'not a standout' lmao

I’m delighted with ROB’s progress this year.

You don’t need an elite ruckman to win the flag, but you do need a competitive ruckman. It looks like ROB could be that competitive ruckman.

Happy to take Grundy for cap space only.

Devastated if we trade away a top 2 pick for the least important position on the ground, in which we already have a passable and improving player.

Already have Jenkins, Gibbs, Betts potentially no longer AFL standard next year but still on decent money. Would be surprised if we have the cap space to pay everyone including the developing young players.

I wouldn't, teams are built by strong drafting and enhanced by trading IMO.
We don't have pick 1 yet but if that were to happen why would we not draft the high end players who commentators are saying are of exceptional talent this year.
We may only get one chance at a pick 1 - 4 and that is this year. A chance like this has never existed in our history before, so keep the pick and take the best player available and hope our recruiters know their stuff.
Swapping a good player for another maintains or marginally improves the overall team but actually adding more quality pieces improves a squad.
That is the key... adding Grundy and the pick 1 - 4.

Grundy is a fine player but at present we are getting by with the talent we have on the list.
If we are set on Grundy and need draft capital to clench the deal we go into deficit the year after when our pick is less likely to be this high.
It can be done if our list managers hold their nerve and don't buckle in their negotiations.
If Grundy was available to all clubs in this draft I doubt there'd be many that wouldn't use their 1st Round pick on him and I'm bloody sure whichever bottom club ends up with Pick 1 would certainly use it on Grundy.

Did Collingwood or Melbourne win the flag? No.
Richmond 2017 average ruckman.
Hawks 3peat average ruckman.
Dogs 2016 average ruck.

Overrated position. Nice to have for sure, but give me a gun mid any day.

We could argue that for most positions thou

8 out of the 10 highest ranked midfielders haven't won a GF.
Collingwood had the best mids in treloar pendles Sidebottom Adams DeGoey Phillips Stephenson WHE yet no cigar

Truth is the best defenders that can organise win flags Mcgov rance Hodge Scarlett.

Grundy is a star midfielder, as well as being a superstar ruckman.
He's not a star midfielder. Good clearance numbers don't make you a star midfielder. Especially when you're at every bounce.

He's very good at it for a ruckman, I'll give him that.

I'd love Grundy on the list of course. I'd give up a lot for him. But give up the potential to 2 pick when we know there will be two near certain star midfielders? We know how highly those guy are rated and how good our development is. We're talking about guys that could hit the heights of Fyfe, Bont, Cripps or Selwood. They're bigger match winners. In my opinion.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back