List Mgmt. 2019 trade prospects

Remove this Banner Ad

Correct.

In fact Suns posters came on here back in early Jan or Feb and said that the Suns had already offered Rankine and Luko both contract extensions.

For First year players where one has not played yet and the other hasnt set the world on fire, its interesting that they havent extended their contracts yet.

Most 1st year players would love to have that security.

We haven't given any of our first year players extensions yet either. In fact, I can't recall us announcing any re-signings this year.

Jul 6, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Sorry guys, was just having a nosey, will just mention that there was an article recently on AFL.com.au was that the club has only just started contract re-negotiations.

Here is the article for those interested - https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-05-13/high-five-suns-look-to-extend-young-stars-contracts

I interpret that as they have waited to get them in and settled and are now starting negotiations.

Also some people on our board have claimed that the draftees are pretty much already signed on, but I won't be running nude down the street until I see an official announcement.

Good luck for the season!
Cheers and for all the talk about us wanting Rankine and Lukosius back - take it as a compliment that you guys have 2 players many of us would trade pick 1 and then some to get back to our club. We really hope they will come back but if not, then they need to stay at GC for their career and not be seduced by the victorian clubs and their under the counter slush funds and 3rd party deals that make it a very uneven playing field

PAFC_1870

Cancelled
10k Posts
Feb 21, 2009
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Ferrari, Chicago Bulls
I think it was always really really hopeful to believe you could pry back one of GC's kids after a single season, regardless of the currency available.

It'd be a huge call to trade pick 1 for either of them (and likely more too) as well....

Jul 6, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
I think it was always really really hopeful to believe you could pry back one of GC's kids after a single season, regardless of the currency available.

It'd be a huge call to trade pick 1 for either of them (and likely more too) as well....
For sure..although if we get pick 1 from our blue friends, it might be tempting for GC if we were set on the road of trying to lure one of the boys back considering how highly rated Anderson and Rowell are (meaning that it could be a break even for them if either indicated they want to come back to SA)..Pick 1 does give us very good options for whatever strategy the club wants to follow

PAFC_1870

Cancelled
10k Posts
Feb 21, 2009
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Ferrari, Chicago Bulls
For sure..although if we get pick 1 from our blue friends, it might be tempting for GC if we were set on the road of trying to lure one of the boys back considering how highly rated Anderson and Rowell are (meaning that it could be a break even for them if either indicated they want to come back to SA)..Pick 1 does give us very good options for whatever strategy the club wants to follow
I would be of the belief pick 1 will be used in the draft, the only exception if you believed you are a legitimate flag chance next season than maybe someone like a Grundy would have come into it and you obviously were going the win now route, which I'm sure most level headed fans would think that probably isn't the most likely outcome.

JL and IR I would have thought would be more poachable say 4-5 years in. It's pretty rare anyone goes that quickly. You'd surely question their commitment if they did such a thing... no way they should be that fickle so early. To be mummy's boys within 12 months would really make me question them.

Last edited:
JL and IR I would have thought would be more poachable say 4-5 years in.

I genuinely believe the Crows best chance to get Luko and Rankine is sooner rather than later.

From what I understand we have room in our salary cap to go after these kids, whereas Port's is almost at breaking point?

If we were to wait for a few years, then the SA kids become an option for you guys to trade for.

PAFC_1870

Cancelled
10k Posts
Feb 21, 2009
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Ferrari, Chicago Bulls
From what I understand we have room in our salary cap to go after these kids, whereas Port's is almost at breaking point?
Wouldn't have thought so.

Both have room to my knowledge. Would be interesting if you moved JJ's contract on, I presume Jacobs/Tex/Eddie are on atleast another year?

It's more their head space I'd question if they left so early. Would scream out issues in my eyes. It's like Ebert, he waited after another contract, as has players you've lost. Atleast try to do right by the club who showed faith and give em a chance.

Last edited:
Wouldn't have thought so.

Both have room to my knowledge.

It's more their head space I'd question if they left so early. Would scream out issues in my eyes. It's like Ebert, he waited after another contract, as has players you've lost. Atleast try to do right by the club who showed faith and give em a chance.

I think Hately is more likely to come home sooner (or go to Carlton). GWS mids are easily poached.

PAFC_1870

Cancelled
10k Posts
Feb 21, 2009
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Ferrari, Chicago Bulls
I think Hately is more likely to come home sooner (or go to Carlton). GWS mids are easily poached.
Honestly not sure about future kids but I've always been the belief to stay away from anyone Vic Metro boys as those are the sorts you have lost as opposed to the Vic Country guys we seem to stick to and keep.

GWS seems a harder sell given location compared to say GC, hence why they had so much difficulty signing free agents early on.

If a 19-20yo cried mummy after 12 months in the system it'd make me think we'd have a very soft minded individual who wouldn't put in to the extent others may (cough Wingard) Ben Jacobs was one actually.... but I believe he stayed atleast 2 years...

Jul 6, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Honestly not sure about future kids but I've always been the belief to stay away from anyone Vic Metro boys as those are the sorts you have lost as opposed to the Vic Country guys we seem to stick to and keep.

GWS seems a harder sell given location compared to say GC, hence why they had so much difficulty signing free agents early on.

If a 19-20yo cried mummy after 12 months in the system it'd make me think we'd have a very soft minded individual who wouldn't put in to the extent others may (cough Wingard) Ben Jacobs was one actually.... but I believe he stayed atleast 2 years...
I think another way to look at players wanting out sooner is that although free agency has cast a whole new dimension on things, players are becoming more emboldened to get to their destination club sooner rather than later. Look at Kelly last year - he wanted out to WCE but they didn't or wouldn't cough up what Geelong were after and a deal did not happen. If a Luko or Rankine hypothetically told GC they wanted to come to Adelaide at the end of this year, it would not bother me one bit in the context that they are seeking to be at our club back in their home state so no further flight risk is attached. We have lost our fair share of talented players and I suppose it hardens your outlook on player movement

PAFC_1870

Cancelled
10k Posts
Feb 21, 2009
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Ferrari, Chicago Bulls
I think another way to look at players wanting out sooner is that although free agency has cast a whole new dimension on things, players are becoming more emboldened to get to their destination club sooner rather than later. Look at Kelly last year - he wanted out to WCE but they didn't or wouldn't cough up what Geelong were after and a deal did not happen. If a Luko or Rankine hypothetically told GC they wanted to come to Adelaide at the end of this year, it would not bother me one bit in the context that they are seeking to be at our club back in their home state so no further flight risk is attached. We have lost our fair share of talented players and I suppose it hardens your outlook on player movement
Kelly looks like he may well change his mind too this season, interesting how that worked out.

Oh don't get me wrong, if they say they wanna go home, fine go for it. It's more just the issue irrespective of who we are talking about that a player wouldn't atleast make SOME sorta effort to make it work. It'd strike me that they wouldn't be the type you'd wanna put any sort of faith in, and that's not the sort I'd want around the club personally. Neither have shown yet they are worth pick 1 this season, but you'd know that's what will be included.

It's like looking at Sloane (and for that matter Boak), a guy that clearly had options to go elsewhere, yet stuck around, and it's no wonder when you watch how he performs and carry's himself on (an off) the field, even if the team is getting beaten. Sorta individual you'd have far more faith in, as opposed to say a Dangerfield type....

Jul 6, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Kelly looks like he may well change his mind too this season, interesting how that worked out.

Oh don't get me wrong, if they say they wanna go home, fine go for it. It's more just the issue irrespective of who we are talking about that a player wouldn't atleast make SOME sorta effort to make it work. It'd strike me that they wouldn't be the type you'd wanna put any sort of faith in, and that's not the sort I'd want around the club personally. Neither have shown yet they are worth pick 1 this season, but you'd know that's what will be included.

It's like looking at Sloane (and for that matter Boak), a guy that clearly had options to go elsewhere, yet stuck around, and it's no wonder when you watch how he performs and carry's himself on (an off) the field, even if the team is getting beaten. Sorta individual you'd have far more faith in, as opposed to say a Dangerfield type....
Hard to argue with your comments. Maybe the only debating point would be that players when drafted get no choice to where they are drafted to and as such, is there really a need to show loyalty (as any sign of dictating to clubs prior to the draft is deemed draft tampering). I know the counter is that if players were allowed to stipulate where they did / did not want to go, that the bottom clubs / expansion clubs would be at a major disadvantage

I would have thought if it was just down to money the GCS would be in a better position than most other AFL clubs

Not just money, but opportunity. There would be much more doors open here then up on the Gold Coast to go with it, and once you're in that range, it's uncomfortable for the resigning club.

Really, it's the combo that Victorian clubs use against us, just applied to a team in a much worse situation.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

PAFC_1870

Cancelled
10k Posts
Feb 21, 2009
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Ferrari, Chicago Bulls
Hard to argue with your comments. Maybe the only debating point would be that players when drafted get no choice to where they are drafted to and as such, is there really a need to show loyalty (as any sign of dictating to clubs prior to the draft is deemed draft tampering). I know the counter is that if players were allowed to stipulate where they did / did not want to go, that the bottom clubs / expansion clubs would be at a major disadvantage
I'd get more satisfaction from drafting the kid at pick 1 this season and following through with his career if he were to stay.

Not to say the 2 GC kids aren't gonna he great though.

Just more a personal thing about character and club loyalty, like Boak and Sloane show. Irrespective of whether you like him or not it's something you gotta respect say Pavlich for, for example.

mtbkym

All Australian
Jun 5, 2016
South
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Chelsea, Canucks, Cubbies

I'll believe it when he signs, all I've heard is Chris Scott saying he thinks he'll stay, havent heard that before.

PAFC_1870

Cancelled
10k Posts
Feb 21, 2009
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Ferrari, Chicago Bulls
I'll believe it when he signs, all I've heard is Chris Scott saying he thinks he'll stay, havent heard that before.
I heard him interviewed a week or so ago, seemed happy now. Maybe if he wins the flag it'll be an easier walk out with a job done...

I thought Geelong were mad to not trade him last season, well they definitely proved that wrong.

I'd get more satisfaction from drafting the kid at pick 1 this season and following through with his career if he were to stay.

Not to say the 2 GC kids aren't gonna he great though.

Just more a personal thing about character and club loyalty, like Boak and Sloane show. Irrespective of whether you like him or not it's something you gotta respect say Pavlich for, for example.

Pavlich would have come home if the Power or Crows made serious attempts to lure him.

We almost had him if not for Ayres who preferred a cooked and broken Carey over him.

PAFC_1870

Cancelled
10k Posts
Feb 21, 2009
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Ferrari, Chicago Bulls
Pavlich would have come home if the Power or Crows made serious attempts to lure him.

We almost had him if not for Ayres who preferred a cooked and broken Carey over him.
I dunno, he seemed the type like our Sloane and Boak situation, club first, well established in his new town...

That Carey trade you can be forgiven for... it was Carey after all, and a huge glaring need at the time. Doubt you'd lose TOO much sleep over Wells.

kulak

Premiership Player
May 16, 2006
Sydney!!!
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
GWS
Ablett x 2
Prestia
May
Lynch
Caddy
Lyons
Eade
McKenna
Interesting that Gold Coast were happy to entertain a a trade for Stephen May one year early - but not for Jack Martin

Given how he is going for Melbourne, perhaps new Gold Coast management with Dew were happy to get him out of their system and culture

Oct 24, 2008
Mermaid Beach
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
GWS, Celtics, 76ers
Oct 24, 2008
Mermaid Beach
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
GWS, Celtics, 76ers
Interesting that Gold Coast were happy to entertain a a trade for Stephen May one year early - but not for Jack Martin

Given how he is going for Melbourne, perhaps new Gold Coast management with Dew were happy to get him out of their system and culture
This is what a couple of insiders have said, he and Lynch were the last of the fat heads that felt entitled. The group is much more united and you can see it in the way we have played this year

Bicks

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 10, 2009
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels Beaufort Crows
We've officially put Doedee on the LTI opening up a spot for the mid-season draft

Murray Bushranger 19 Y.O. 200cm Athletic Ruck/KPD Ben Kelly would be my pick with an eye to the future. You wouldn't think we'd go for real mature age player as a plug and play pick with so many already in the SANFL pushing for a spot?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back