List Mgmt. 2019 trade prospects

Remove this Banner Ad

Fears AFL clubs could manipulate mid-season draft and stockpile young talent from SANFL
https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/spor...l/news-story/b52860d60c89b0cfdf7fdef4349ce17e

SANFL clubs’ worst mid-season draft fears appear certain to be realised, with Adelaide and Port Adelaide indicating some AFL clubs will stockpile talent for the future rather than look for an immediate list fix.
With less than two weeks before SANFL clubs are exposed — and possibly have their premiership hopes wrecked — to the first AFL mid-season draft since 1993, the Crows and Power say clubs will cast an eye to the future, as much as the present, in deciding whether to add players from another league to their 2019 squads.

“I think that’s the way clubs will approach it,’’ Port general manager of football Chris Davies said.

“I’m sure some clubs will have the future in mind and say, ‘here is a 19-year-old player who we potentially were going to draft last year who we want to get onto our list before the drafts at the end of the year’.

“There will be a balance. You keep hearing that Essendon might be looking for a ruckman (to play now).’’
Adelaide assistant coach Michael Godden said he expected some clubs to ‘look more long term’.

“I don’t sit on list management but, potentially, (that’s the way it would work),’’ he said.
“Hopefully if we are bringing a player into our system we are not bringing him in for three months, we are bringing him in to make him a part of our system for a long period of time.’’

AFL player manager Liam Pickering claimed some clubs would manipulate the contentious May 27 mid-season draft to secure a young player for the future rather than one with experience.

“I think you’ll see clubs looking at the draft saying, ‘we get a bloke in who’s 26 who can fill a hole for us, unless they’re right near the top, they’re going to have to pick up the speed of AFL for a start, so what do they do?’,’’ Pickering told SEN.

“They take the best young kid available, give him a six-month window into our club and he gets a jump on next season.

“He’s already six months in and had six months of learning what we’re doing.

“You’re looking at maybe a 10-year career. (Clubs will say) we won’t have to use pick 40 on this kid because we’ll already have him.”

Of course clubs are going to target young talent. With list sizes of 40+ most clubs don't actually need a quick fix

If there were loads of state players floating around ready for AFL they would have been drafted already

This is what a couple of insiders have said, he and Lynch were the last of the fat heads that felt entitled. The group is much more united and you can see it in the way we have played this year

Please, please win this week!!!

Did I not read somewhere on here that only 4 SANFL players had nominated for the midseason draft?
South Australia
Jonathon Beech (West Adelaide), Jack Blair (North Adelaide), Luke Bogle (South Adelaide), Jordon Boyle (Adelaide), Lachlan Burrows (Sturt), Declan Carmody (North Gambier), Oscar Chapman (North Adelaide), Bradley Close (Glenelg), Sam Colquhoun (Sturt), Abe Davis (South Adelaide), Liam Fitt (South Adelaide), Jordan Foote (Woodville-West Torrens), Cory Gregson (Glenelg), Joseph Haines (South Adelaide), Jack Hayes (Woodville-West Torrens), Joshua Hone (Sturt), Lachie Hosie (Glenelg), Daniel Johnston (Norwood), Michael Knoll (South Adelaide), Mihail Lochowiak (Sturt), Jesse Lonergan (Woodville-West Torrens), Marlon Motlop (Glenelg), Hugo Munn (Sturt), Jydon Neagle (Central District), Matt Neagle (Central District), John Noble (West Adelaide), Mark Noble (South Adelaide), Matthew Nunn (Norwood), Luke Partington (Glenelg), Angus Rana (West Adelaide), Thomas Read (Sturt), Hayden Sampson (South Adelaide), Isaac Saywell (Norwood), Will Snelling (West Adelaide), Luke Surman (Norwood), Cameron Sutcliffe (Port Adelaide), Jimmy Toumpas (Woodville-West Torrens), Aidan Tropiano (North Adelaide), Matthew Uebergang (Glenelg)

Did I not read somewhere on here that only 4 SANFL players had nominated for the midseason draft?
Probably confused it with those having medicals...

List of players receiving medicals:

Ajang Ajang (East Perth)

Frank Anderson (Northern Blues)

Daly Andrews (Western Jets)

Ray Connellan (Essendon VFL)

Josh Deluca (Subiaco)

Lochlan Dickson (Coburg)

Kyle Dunkley (Gippsland)

Oliver Eastland (Claremont)

Cory Gregson (Glenelg)

Brady Grey (West Coast WAFL)

Mitch Hibberd (Williamstown)

Cody Hirst (Eastern Ranges)

Lachlan Hosie (Glenelg)

Sam Lowson (Coburg)

Jack Mayo (Subiaco)

Declan Mountford (Claremont)

John Noble (West Adelaide)

Matt Nunn (Norwood)

Marlion Pickett (South Fremantle)

Jarvis Pina (Peel Thunder)

Mitch Riordan (Dandenong)

Adam Tipungwuti (NT Thunder)

Probably confused it with those having medicals...

List of players receiving medicals:

Ajang Ajang (East Perth)

Frank Anderson (Northern Blues)

Daly Andrews (Western Jets)

Ray Connellan (Essendon VFL)

Josh Deluca (Subiaco)

Lochlan Dickson (Coburg)

Kyle Dunkley (Gippsland)

Oliver Eastland (Claremont)

Cory Gregson (Glenelg)

Brady Grey (West Coast WAFL)

Mitch Hibberd (Williamstown)

Cody Hirst (Eastern Ranges)

Lachlan Hosie (Glenelg)

Sam Lowson (Coburg)

Jack Mayo (Subiaco)

Declan Mountford (Claremont)

John Noble (West Adelaide)

Matt Nunn (Norwood)

Marlion Pickett (South Fremantle)

Jarvis Pina (Peel Thunder)

Mitch Riordan (Dandenong)

Adam Tipungwuti (NT Thunder)

That's what I might have seen.

This is what a couple of insiders have said, he and Lynch were the last of the fat heads that felt entitled. The group is much more united and you can see it in the way we have played this year
Juat saying, the 2 GC ex-captains aren't exactly tearing it up in their new team.

Big fish, little pond

(Log in to remove this ad.)

South Australia
Jonathon Beech (West Adelaide), Jack Blair (North Adelaide), Luke Bogle (South Adelaide), Jordon Boyle (Adelaide), Lachlan Burrows (Sturt), Declan Carmody (North Gambier), Oscar Chapman (North Adelaide), Bradley Close (Glenelg), Sam Colquhoun (Sturt), Abe Davis (South Adelaide), Liam Fitt (South Adelaide), Jordan Foote (Woodville-West Torrens), Cory Gregson (Glenelg), Joseph Haines (South Adelaide), Jack Hayes (Woodville-West Torrens), Joshua Hone (Sturt), Lachie Hosie (Glenelg), Daniel Johnston (Norwood), Michael Knoll (South Adelaide), Mihail Lochowiak (Sturt), Jesse Lonergan (Woodville-West Torrens), Marlon Motlop (Glenelg), Hugo Munn (Sturt), Jydon Neagle (Central District), Matt Neagle (Central District), John Noble (West Adelaide), Mark Noble (South Adelaide), Matthew Nunn (Norwood), Luke Partington (Glenelg), Angus Rana (West Adelaide), Thomas Read (Sturt), Hayden Sampson (South Adelaide), Isaac Saywell (Norwood), Will Snelling (West Adelaide), Luke Surman (Norwood), Cameron Sutcliffe (Port Adelaide), Jimmy Toumpas (Woodville-West Torrens), Aidan Tropiano (North Adelaide), Matthew Uebergang (Glenelg)
I would think that Hugo Munn would be worth a rookie spot, looked ok in the state U18 team and the few games I've seen him play at Sturt. Thought he was a bit unlucky last draft not to get a look in.

I would think that Hugo Munn would be worth a rookie spot, looked ok in the state U18 team and the few games I've seen him play at Sturt. Thought he was a bit unlucky last draft not to get a look in.
steady on..we (sturt) rely on him big time as he is one of the few talls we have that is dangerous up forward and can go into ruck..leave him alone

I'll pass
OK, I'll admit I haven't seen massive amounts of his game time, maybe I caught him at the right moments but the few times I did I though he showed promise. You have probably seen a lot more, what makes you think he doesn't have it?

OK, I'll admit I haven't seen massive amounts of his game time, maybe I caught him at the right moments but the few times I did I though he showed promise. You have probably seen a lot more, what makes you think he doesn't have it?
Pretty slow, not very athletic, best trait is overhead marking, best chance at making it IMO would be as defender that could possibly chop out in Ruck. IMO Ben Kelly at 200cm with his good speed and superior athleticism is a far better prospect, missed a lot of footy last year with a knee issue in his draft year but is really firing this year now he's fully fit.

Hypothetically, Port are looking top 2 and their main threat for a SANFL flag is South (hypothetically I said). South have a gun mid who could have 25 Magaery votes already, so Port recruit him in the mid season AFL draft with no intention of playing him in the AFL because they are already stacked with mids.

This whole MSD just appears to be a way to screw state league integrity and encourage more poor list management at an AFL level (e.g. Port not playing a ruck when Ryder was injured for a whole year and then complaining about the effect it had on Trengove)

Just on the Brodie Grundy thing. I heard that Jon Ralph interview today where he was saying that Grundy is almost certain to sign on with Collingwood for around $1M/year over 7, and trying to sell the Paul Chapman sacrificed $200k for premierships as one of the reasons why he stays.

If he is being offerred $1M/year at Collingwood I think we realistically need to be willing to offer $1.4/year over 7. Thats a $2.8M carrot over the life of the contract. To me that's the only way you change the mind of a guy that wants too stay at a club. Make the other clubs offer seem almost disrespectfully low by comparison!

Its a huge amount of salary, but realistically, its the way things are headed in this league for guys in his echelon. In fact I think if we wait until he's a FA at the end of 2020, $1.4 would probably be the starting bid, and you better believe there will be 10+ other bidders at that auction!

Hypothetically, Port are looking top 2 and their main threat for a SANFL flag is South (hypothetically I said). South have a gun mid who could have 25 Magaery votes already, so Port recruit him in the mid season AFL draft with no intention of playing him in the AFL because they are already stacked with mids.

This whole MSD just appears to be a way to screw state league integrity and encourage more poor list management at an AFL level (e.g. Port not playing a ruck when Ryder was injured for a whole year and then complaining about the effect it had on Trengove)
Why would Port do that? No one cares who wins the reserves premiership - it's about development of your juniors.

Just on the Brodie Grundy thing. I heard that Jon Ralph interview today where he was saying that Grundy is almost certain to sign on with Collingwood for around $1M/year over 7, and trying to sell the Paul Chapman sacrificed $200k for premierships as one of the reasons why he stays.

If he is being offerred $1M/year at Collingwood I think we realistically need to be willing to offer $1.4/year over 7. Thats a $2.8M carrot over the life of the contract. To me that's the only way you change the mind of a guy that wants too stay at a club. Make the other clubs offer seem almost disrespectfully low by comparison!

Its a huge amount of salary, but realistically, its the way things are headed in this league for guys in his echelon. In fact I think if we wait until he's a FA at the end of 2020, $1.4 would probably be the starting bid, and you better believe there will be 10+ other bidders at that auction!
If he signs the Collingwood deal, he's not a FA at the end of next year. So, we need to put a contract in front of him at no later than Collingwood do to have a chance

Remove this Banner Ad

Back