Cancelled
Saints Pledge Contributor
Jun 4, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Arsenal, Portland Trailblazers
The question we need to ask with Bruce is what does the future look like for him at St Kilda? He comes out of contract at the end of next season, and if King comes on then he may find himself in the seconds. At that stage his value will be much less. That is the reason we'd be interested in trading him now. If we can get a first round pick for him then it's a no-brainer.

Gosaints12

Premiership Player
Sep 10, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ferrari
The club saying we will be hitting the trade period hard we must be looking at more than just Brad Hill , I'm just hoping for a surprise however we don't really have the draft picks to really make anything happen - still surprised no one has put a offer up for Newnes.

Us, Suns and Swans have all put an offer in the table.

Groater

Club Legend
Jul 29, 2006
Bayside
AFL Club
St Kilda
The question we need to ask with Bruce is what does the future look like for him at St Kilda? He comes out of contract at the end of next season, and if King comes on then he may find himself in the seconds. At that stage his value will be much less. That is the reason we'd be interested in trading him now. If we can get a first round pick for him then it's a no-brainer.
I used to think the same way, but his contested marking this year was outstanding. Even if King explodes on the scene like Riewoldt did, i think there is a spot for Bruce as a high HF. His real point of difference is his athleticism and he uses it to great effect. At times when we were really struggling with transition he was the circuit breaker, providing an extremely strong marking target on the wings.

I think he has a strong future at the Saints if decide to keep him.

If Bruce is destined to play 2nds in say 2021 and maybe some of next year as well after the King's one if not two of them come on. (BTW Disagree that this will happen to Bruce).
Logically his trade value is at his highest now......as is his personal contracting negotiating position. Next year if he plays in the seconds coming out of contract no-one will pay anything like he would command RFN.

Best for club and player if he is destined to play second fiddle next year to trade him now. I like win win solutions
I used to think the same way, but his contested marking this year was outstanding. Even if King explodes on the scene like Riewoldt did, i think there is a spot for Bruce as a high HF. His real point of difference is his athleticism and he uses it to great effect. At times when we were really struggling with transition he was the circuit breaker, providing an extremely strong marking target on the wings.

D2D3

Club Legend
May 20, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda

I maintain I don’t see why King, Bruce and Membery can’t play in the same forward line. All different players that bring a different dimension to our attack. And with Long, Lonie, Parker, Hind rubbing around we shouldn’t loose that much forward pressure. Membery essentially moves into the 3rd tall role Acres was playing, Bruce stays in a similar role to now and King plays out of the goal square.

If King comes along that’s the set up and if he doesn’t we still have Bruce and Membery.

If we trade Bruce we are basically hoping King comes out all guns blazing and if he doesn’t Membery is all we have.

If we need the pick to get an A grade midfielder I can get around it but it’s putting a lot of pressure on King

Aug 29, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
Could the dramatic drop in trade value of Steven be playing a role here?

Steven ask for a trade last year and we would have got a 1st +, now if he goes it’s basically something between a 2nd & 3rd

Perhaps the club sees Bruce as having a similar fall in value (for a very different reason)

Oct 2, 2010
AFL Club
St Kilda
I maintain I don’t see why King, Bruce and Membery can’t play in the same forward line. All different players that bring a different dimension to our attack. And with Long, Lonie, Parker, Hind rubbing around we shouldn’t loose that much forward pressure. Membery essentially moves into the 3rd tall role Acres was playing, Bruce stays in a similar role to now and King plays out of the goal square.

If King comes along that’s the set up and if he doesn’t we still have Bruce and Membery.

If we trade Bruce we are basically hoping King comes out all guns blazing and if he doesn’t Membery is all we have.

If we need the pick to get an A grade midfielder I can get around it but it’s putting a lot of pressure on King
I'd say we need another tall forward to play alongside King while he adjusts to AFL footy, so the idea we need to sell off Bruce because he is being pushed out is baffling to me.

Mar 14, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Leeds united, Chicago Bulls
I think the board is blurring lines over Bruce.

We haven’t said we don’t want him. Complete opposite by Ratten in fact.

The Bulldogs and the pies approached his management. Offered big contracts.

We have probably flagged he won’t get as big a contract with us next year and in comparison to his current deal which was a lot of money when he signed it.

So that leaves Bruce in a position of asking for a trade where an appropriate deal is possible and the buying clubs satisfying our needs. This is not us pushing him out.

We see Bruce as our best tall according to Ratten. Losing him would have a direct impact next year. But may prove beneficial the following year depending on a few metrics falling into line.

Sep 22, 2015
Hovering above you...
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Fulham
I think Membrey looks good when he pushes up onto the wing and will outmark his direct opponent more times than Bruce will. Leave kind inside the forward to and have Membrey playing the Lynch (crows) role due to his fitness levels. Ryder(if we get him) will also help out inside 50 and rotate with Marshall when he needs a rest.

Now Battle is the interesting one who I would have in the forward line and use him instead of Membrey as that lead up role and have King/Membrey deeper. If we can land a young defender then I would be looking at this scenario personally.

Battle has shown more in his 7 or so game when played forward more than any forward I can remember early on.

Spaceship7

Senior List
Sep 25, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
Reading between the lines it seems like pick 5 is gone to freo in the hill deal. But we like some players in the mid first round so we have told the dogs if they want to play ball with pick 12 (which is above Bruce's currency) then he is theirs. Considering the impact a more experienced goal kicker could have on their club on the rise I am intrigued about what they do. If we can find a way to secure proven mid 20s talent like hill and jones while remaining in the top end of the draft that would be incredibly exciting.

TheEnsign

Club Legend
Zombie Lover A Star Wars Fan
Jun 24, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda

This is a tricky one because although Bruce's trade value is about as high as it will be, I think we have to pray that King _does_ explode onto the scene because there's no-one else to take the heat off him.

Another point re: Bruce is perhaps this is confirmation bias, but I have noticed he is a longer kick for goal recently - he seems to have the distance fairly easily from ~50 out whereas in seasons gone by about 45 was his limit. So he can play further out and leave King to work in the square.

Given the way this draft is looking (i.e. fairly flat after first two picks) I have no problem trading 5 for Hill & 24, then using 24 as our first pick. So I would say hold onto Bruce.

May 6, 2009
AFL Club
St Kilda
I think Membrey looks good when he pushes up onto the wing and will outmark his direct opponent more times than Bruce will. Leave kind inside the forward to and have Membrey playing the Lynch (crows) role due to his fitness levels. Ryder(if we get him) will also help out inside 50 and rotate with Marshall when he needs a rest.

Now Battle is the interesting one who I would have in the forward line and use him instead of Membrey as that lead up role and have King/Membrey deeper. If we can land a young defender then I would be looking at this scenario personally.

Battle has shown more in his 7 or so game when played forward more than any forward I can remember early on.

Yep bruce and members are both strong marking endurance beasts.

1 high up on each wing as marking targets suits our game plan beautifully as we don't have the run or skills to go through the corridor regularly.
So the plan from defence is to mostly kick to centrewing to either bruce or members.

From there we then target ryder/roma deep at FF (when resting as ruck) and king at chf.

That allows whichever of ryder or marshall is in the ruck to cover the centre square and drop back in defence.
Plus we will have A grade ruckmen in the ruck throughout the whole game.

This is the kind of talls setup we were going with into rnd1 with mccartin before he went down. (Ie 2 talls high on the wings and 2 talls deeper fwd)

After paddy went down, we didn't have any other quality talls to allow this structure- so we played the year too short up fwd.

King and ryder in (WHILE keeping bruce) will allow us to execute this structure very well.

It's not impossible, but it would need to be a hell of a good deal for us to trade bruce even with ryder and king in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back