List Mgmt. 2019 Trade Thread - Part III

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've since realized that at the end of next year the club can offer Jack another contract. If he refuses it and walks to another club then we get a compensation pick. It might end up being around the same mark but that would be better IMO than letting a 4 time BnF winner stroll to the team that finished on top of the ladder because 'he wants to go home'.

Even more so when this request is coming only 12 months after the Cats themselves held Tim Kelly to his contract despite knowing that his entire family wanted him back in Perth.
So we get to pay a bloke 800k for not playing and then end up with a similar pick 12 months later.

And instead of the top 3 club having to give up something for him, they now get him for nothing.

This makes zero sense to me.

And I haven't even factored in Jack's mental health battle which should be the number one priority.

I can't get my head around the idea that Jack Steven's mental health will be better off if he is playing for the Geelong Cats AFL team.

He wants to be closer to home. What difference should it make if that's with Geelong, Colac or Lara?

Now if he really, really wants to play for the Cats and that's the only way he can possibly be happy then we are talking about a trade.

If it's really just family and being closer to home then off he goes. We can pay him to sit at home for a year and then he can do what he likes.
Who knows though...? Only Jack and his doctors I recon. It might be that he just needs a change and to start fresh. Maybe a year sitting at home would be good, maybe not.

I’m not an expert on mental health (or anything else), but I do know that it is a serious life threatening condition and should be treated as such.

I guess my point is, given that it is a potentially life threatening condition that if moving to the Cats helps 1% then it should be done with the minimum of fuss.

I’d ask all the posters here to think, if he was one of your family members, what would you want the SKFC, the cats and the afl to do? The right thing for stuv no doubt.

Plenty on here suggesting that if we don’t get a good deal that we hold him to his contract and he potentially sits out the year. That’s what I was referring to.

I’m sure you are right and I’m sure the cats will do the right thing. Hopefully
It’s not a matter of him being held to a contract with us it’s about him taking his illness seriously and having a year out to get better

This is such an emotive issue, I’ve basically become a swinging voter - changing my mind with every post I read 😳

I would like to help Stuv move on with his life, but at the same time he IS worth way more to us than almost any other player (provided he is in a state to play next season) and therefore why should we just give him away to help a premiership contender? (especially one I personally cannot bear.)

So we get to pay a bloke 800k for not playing and then end up with a similar pick 12 months later.

And instead of the top 3 club having to give up something for him, they now get him for nothing.

This makes zero sense to me.

And I haven't even factored in Jack's mental health battle which should be the number one priority.

We get to pay him 800k in the hope that some time off will see him come back to play for us. Maybe if the team improves under Ratts next year Jack might be happy to work something out.

If we are really only looking out for Jack's mental health then the club should have delisted him mid season and he can just walk to Geelong. A token pick in a weak draft doesn't mean anything.

Last year we traded in Hannebery for the equivalent of pick 34. He is younger and arguably a better player than Steven.

Sydney were very happy to accept that as part of a huge salary dump.

I can't get my head around the idea that Jack Steven's mental health will be better off if he is playing for the Geelong Cats AFL team.

He wants to be closer to home. What difference should it make if that's with Geelong, Colac or Lara?

Now if he really, really wants to play for the Cats and that's the only way he can possibly be happy then we are talking about a trade.

If it's really just family and being closer to home then off he goes. We can pay him to sit at home for a year and then he can do what he likes.

I think his ex and baby are down the surf coast so he wants to be close enough to be involved and be back near his family. Lots of Geelong players live down the surf coast in places like Jan Juc and commute to training. Pretty sure that's what he's probably hoping to do.

A second rounder is probably about market value for Jack as it stands right now, all things considered... unfortunately Geelongs 2nd is looking like a late 30’s, early 40’s come draft time.
Their third rounder is absolutely worthless.
Hopefully they get a bunch of picks for Kelly and we can get something mid second round, but we shouldn’t become Essendon here and just hold onto Jack through spite.

Last year we traded in Hannebery for the equivalent of pick 34. He is younger and arguably a better player than Steven.

His body is also falling apart and the Swans needed to get his salary off their books in order to upgrade Mills, Heeney etc and keep paying Buddy 1 mil +.

Steven has had no injuries and is trying to go from a poor performing team to the top team on the ladder with little to nothing in the way of compensation for the poor team. We aren't in need of the cap space. We aren't trying to lure in another gun with the picks we will get for Steven. It's a total net loss all around for the St Kilda Football Club if they let him walk for a nothing pick.

Now if it ends up a 3 way trade - Steven to Cats, Jones to Saints, pick to the Swans - then maybe we can call that a win.

But to take a 3rd round pick, in a draft that many think bottoms out after the top 25-30, for a 4 time BnF winner with no injury issues to speak of, because of 'mental health' is honestly incompetent.

Im happy for Jack to walk away to sort his issues out. I get that. I've been there. But to say that the only way he can be happy and sort his life out is to play for the Geelong Cats AFL team is absolute bullshit.

Hanners hasn't been any good since 2016. He was waddling around getting less of the ball than Luke Dunstan last year and rumours were that his body was unlikely to ever get back to what it had been. He was like Armitage in his last year at the swans.

I think his ex and baby are down the surf coast so he wants to be close enough to be involved and be back near his family. Lots of Geelong players live down the surf coast in places like Jan Juc and commute to training. Pretty sure that's what he's probably hoping to do.

Perfect. Go play for Barwon in the GFL.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can’t believe what I’ve read hear this morning and with the events of the last week.

If Stuv wants to go to the Cats and that’s what’s best for him then that’s what needs to happen. It’s just football. You wouldn’t leave a person in a potentially life threatening situation for a year to get good a good deal in any industry. That is the reality of mental health, it can be a life or death condition.

What hasn’t been mentioned is that it is up to the saints AND the cats to get the best deal for stuv. Both teams have a responsibility to get the deal done with a minimum of fuss. The saints shouldn’t play hard ball, but we shouldn’t have to.

To be fair, I think it’s more about Geelong doing the right thing and not taking advantage of the situation rather than us being arseholes about it.

So we pay him to play for Barwon?

No.

Assuming no reasonable trade comes from Geelong then if he's not playing for the Saints/Sandringham next year then he sits at home with the missus.

He can sign up for Barwon in 2021 if the Cats choose not to pick up a 31yo who hasn't played footy for 2 years.

We get to pay him 800k in the hope that some time off will see him come back to play for us. Maybe if the team improves under Ratts next year Jack might be happy to work something out.

If we are really only looking out for Jack's mental health then the club should have delisted him mid season and he can just walk to Geelong. A token pick in a weak draft doesn't mean anything.
Ah well, I for one am glad the club won't be thinking the same way as you.

I'd love a great pick for him but it won't happen.

The club have made their position clear and I’m not happy with how it’s been handled to be frank.

I think we could have achieved the same result without talking to anyone other than jack, his manager and Geelong. Who’s interests are being served by publicly talking about jacks mental health ?. The less than gracious response from the beneficiaries via that turd Scott makes me even more convinced it was a mistake.

We should have released a statement that jack has asked to be traded to Geelong and that we hope to facilitate a trade.

Should the clubs main priority be just getting Jack to Geelong to matter how pitiful the compensation is for such a highly rated and influential player?

Or should it be making sure we get adequate compensation for our highly decorated player who Geelong has been eyeing off and trying to lure for years to ensure we can bring in a good replacement to play alongside the other 44 players on our list, and help assist them have a good season next year?

Should the clubs main priority be just getting Jack to Geelong to matter how pitiful the compensation is for such a highly rated and influential player?

Or should it be making sure we get adequate compensation for our highly decorated player who Geelong has been eyeing off and trying to lure for years to ensure we can bring in a good replacement to play alongside the other 44 players on our list, and help assist them have a good season next year?
A bit of both you’d think.

Ah well, I for one am glad the club won't be thinking the same way as you.

I'd love a great pick for him but it won't happen.

Then why do the deal?

Why settle for anything less than?

After all that has happened with mental health with one of our greats this past 10 days, and people are more worried about if we 'win' a trade or not with Steven.

Spare me. Do some of you listen to yourself?

The club knows more about this situation than any of us.

Steven has served us well in a period of mediocrity.

If we get a second it might get another trade over the line.

Please think of Jack as a person, not as a win or a loss in a trade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back