List Mgmt. 2019 Trade Thread - Part III

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Truth is our list isn't good enough.

We have one decent pick in the draft.

There is no easy answer. But we need to back our youth and find a way to get some currency in.

If Ratten believes that King, Membrey and Battle is the future then it's smart move to trade out Bruce when he has some currency, because it will drop a long way in 12 months time.

There is no easy answer. But we need to back our youth and find a way to get some currency in.

If Ratten believes that King, Membrey and Battle is the future then it's smart move to trade out Bruce when he has some currency, because it will drop a long way in 12 months time.
We have a long way to go- the list is ordinary and workmanlike at best with no cream on top. Maybe King will step up, but who knows. I think Ryder will take Bruce's role of forward/ ruck, but do a better job in the ruck. I hope that Ratts and co really get the younger brigade to take the next step, then we might start rattling the lower end of the final eight.

He has a degree in Biomedicine. He worked with our strength and conditioning people while he was studying and still playing with us. He worked at Hawthorn and Box Hill and now us! The Hawthorn connection continues. Satan, Roughy, DOS, Ratts, and now the Dumpster. Get Mitchell and Hodge! A full house!

One more ex-Hawks appointment coming, I’m told.

James Frawley was a priority pick dressed up as a compensation pick imo.
( Oh, what the powers that be can do with a secret recipe of unaccountability.)

His contract was still of a reasonable enough size/length to get band 2 compo.

The AFL then supersized it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just on Bruce if he was truely that good, rose coloured glasses off, wouldn’t pick 12 be a certainty.
Dogs clearly don’t rate him there or they’d be offering us the pick.

They might be offering that pick for all we know.

Just because a few of their supporters think that’s too much doesn’t mean it won’t happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pick 5 for Hill and 25
Newnes to Sydney FA
Steven for 34
Bruce and 25 for 12 and 30
30 for Jones
34 for Keath
55 for Ryder

Take 12 and Newnes compo to the draft

In: Hill, Jones, Keath, Ryder, 12, Newnes compo

Out: Steven, Bruce, Newnes, 5, 55

Take the best mid with pick 12

A lot is going to rely on that Hill deal. If we can get something back for 5 it's going to help big time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our overall depth is just about the best I've ever seen it in my nearly 50 years of following this club. What we lack is one or 2 superstars. Whether we grow our own or can attract some only time will tell. But inject a couple of top tier guns into our 22 and we are looking very good imo.

I'm bullish for where we are heading

I don't disagree, plenty of clubs have gone from s**t to excellent with only a couple of guns. The getting them can be hard though. Brisbane with no injuries and two hired guns were straight kicking off making a GF. WC, Richmond etc all are even sides with a few guns.

We aren't that aren't off or that close. That's why I like conservative list management. We have to get Hill because he's the best player that has been keen to come in years. Just don't agree selling off what we have will make us better. We have done the bulk of work to get a good solid blanket of even players.

Getting guys who aren't elite might get us a up a few places in the near future but until we find mid guns we won't be a serious threat to anyone. We will have to dip into our next years picks to get a lot of the proposed trades done and already look like we are out of this draft unless we trade away players. No-one wants our average ones.

Tom Lynch would be handy.

Shame he turned down more years and $$ to go to the best team in the comp over a mid table club...

#brokensystem

I’m not a stats man but Ratts kept trotting out that we were having more scoring shots than top 4 contenders but couldn’t get the job done.

What does that tell you about our forward line?
It needs Austin Robertson as kicking coach

I don’t take offence G, happy to be told I’m wrong but I really think the culture you are speaking of is not St.Kildas alone. All we can do as a group of supporters or any group of supporters starved for success is back those coming in to start getting it right. Seems like they are moving in the right direction.
With regards to Bruce, yes he’s probably our best tall target atm but we need reshaping and we need trade currency.
He won’t get much better and we need better. I’m actually in the camp the rates Battle as a forward with better potential than Bruce. We have a good backline already without him.

Battle looks good but he's played about 3 games as a forward and he's averaging a goal a game or something, he's played about 25 games all up. Him and King will be better off being able to run around under an established forward every time.

The interesting thing will be how Ratts sets up the forward line. He's from Clarkson's school- a tall centre pin like Hale, Mc Evoy etc....all they have to do is play like Kosi, stand in a hole and if they don't mark spill it to advantage of the smalls. Then he played a Roughy and Buddy as mobile marking targets, both could get up the ground and cause damage but equal as key marking targets. Then a Gunston mobile midsize forward who played like Battle probably does. Then a heap of dangerous slippery smalls like Poppy, Cyril and guys like Duryea and Smith who could bomb long from outside playing like rangy wingmen.

We have become used to having one stay at home forward to cover for our mids and backs. We have to readjust to having structure by position. Ratts will have to get the side to a point where we don't need forwards to play in defence or mids.

I can't imagine any scenario where playing for Chris Scott would be a mental-health positive. It's likely also fair to say that Stuv won't receive the same latitude as an "expensive recruit" from the Geelong fans who just watched another minor premiership evaporate in the prelim, as he does from the St Kilda faithful, being a "4 time B&F and beloved son of the club".

If he really wants to have that inflicted on him, we should definitely work to facilitate it, but we should send him to the beach with a bucket of dimmies, a slab, and a fishing rod while the club goes hammer-and-tongs at Geelong until it gets a fair offer for what Stuv has left to offer that club ... and based on the last 3 weeks, there's still plenty there if he gets fit and motivated.

I don't think it's footy pressure that's messing him up. He's always carried the weight of expectation for us. He needs to sort out his life outside footy, a new start and being distracted by all the getting to know new people and earn his spot might be just what he needs. We don't know is the short answer. I hope what ever it is that helps gets done. Scott is certainly making it not very welcoming at the moment though.

How is Bruce's currency dropping so much? There is nothing to suggest that King will take him over in 12 months. I'd say he could be worth more if we get good delivery from Hill and Hanners. You are making an assumption based on a guy who's never played a game dominating from day one. Membrey could do his knee and King might miss another season still. You can make all kinds of assumptions and state them as fact. If the Dogs don't get him this year who else do they get?

We do that at times, but there are also many times a game we kick the ball to the right spot and Bruce drops an easy mark or just gets overworked by a better defender. Full blame can't be put on the midfield. Bruce's own faults need acknowledged as well.

Membrey was injured last year - knee injury and it affected his kicked for about a month when he came back from it, and because of our other injuries had to play on the oppositions best defender for most of the year. If we play King plus Ryder or even Battle who will be more dangerous after a year down in defence, it puts him on a defender closer to his size which will favour him.

And by saying he will kick 50 goals for the dogs - only 6 players kicked over 50 goals this year. Do you honestly think Bruce will be a top 6 forward next season? Because on all evidence available throughout his career, I would say he won't be. He will be a loss but he isn't the different between us winning and losing every game next season.
I also doubt Bruce will be a 50 goal a season player at WB.
Under Beveridge's game plan they dont rely heavily on Big Strong KPF's.to get the bulk of their goals.

I think our list is young, inexperienced and unproven
There is obvious upside/talent we just need the right leaders on and off the field.

And to develop or trade some star quality and we are away. We need some absolute top shelf players. Watching last night Kelly, Dusty etc can just motor away and carry the side on their back. The difference between them and just a very good player is the difference between making finals and winning finals.

I also doubt Bruce will be a 50 goal a season player at WB.
Under Beveridge's game plan they dont rely heavily on Big Strong KPF's.to get the bulk of their goals.

Imagine tying to defend him and Naughton, it would be a nightmare. Leave Naughton and he'll destroy you so Bruce just gets to run around on the second tall defender. He'd have a great time. Wouldn't need to be the up the ground get out of jail option any more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back