List Mgmt. 2019 Trade Thread - Part III

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
With Free agency being the first thing to open up, anybody seeing us having a crack at anyone, only ones with any possible relevance i’d say:

Unrestricted: Ellis-Yolmen, Jamie Elliot, Tomlinson
Restricted: Brandon Ellis
Delisted FA: Sam Murray
Im surprised we aren't having a dip at Elliot when all he'd cost is money and that's something we've got plenty of.

We struggle to make the most of our opportunities and don't kick enough goals.

Ellis I'd be happy with as a FA.

Ellis Holman doesn't add anything Dunstan can't do, Tomlinso I wouldn't say no too, but in terms of needs I wouldn't get into a bidding war for him.

With Free agency being the first thing to open up, anybody seeing us having a crack at anyone, only ones with any possible relevance i’d say:

If we take a FA, we dont get a compo pick for Newnes which I think we would value more than any of those players. Probably one of the reasons why we cooled on Tomlinson.

How much has Tim Kelly improved in a full time professional environment?

He’s 26 now isn’t he?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am baffled by posters on this thread. If you said we had a 24 year old 6’3” lunatic with burning pace, takes hangers, great kick, smashes the opposition in contests, has proven himself on the big stage at the highest level and appreciates that the AFL is the most important thing in his life - you would all salivate over him. If I tell you it is Matty Parker you all start criticising. Seriously.....

The Tim Kelly example is spot-on.

If we take a FA, we dont get a compo pick for Newnes which I think we would value more than any of those players. Probably one of the reasons why we cooled on Tomlinson.

But if we take one we don't get penalised on the second or third.

I'd like Tomlinson and Elliot.

I was really keen on Tomlinson as a free agent as he would be a handy substitute given our lack of second round pick.
But after watching him over the last few weeks I’ve gone cold.
He looks ok for GWS but is nothing more than a foot soldier.
He would offer us nothing, best 22 yes/probably, but we’d be still treading water. Don’t really see where he’d play. Carlisle, Roberton, Wilkie, Billings & Hill would all be in front of him for his preferred positions. Plus he would significantly beoverpaid for output. Demons can have him.
Ellis-Yolmen would be handy depth and nothing more. Elliot is good player but injury prone and doesn’t fit our needs. Ellis was good in the prelim but he’s a dime a dozen player. Sam Murray we already enough hbfs

tbh with where we are at, i wouldn't care if we took a 28 year old from the WAFL if we think he can come in and play a role. even if it's only for 3 seasons. we desperately need to start building a winning culture and if some veterans help that, who cares.

I was really keen on Tomlinson as a free agent as he would be a handy substitute given our lack of second round pick.
But after watching him over the last few weeks I’ve gone cold.
He looks ok for GWS but is nothing more than a foot soldier.
He would offer us nothing, best 22 yes/probably, but we’d be still treading water. Don’t really see where he’d play. Carlisle, Roberton, Wilkie, Billings & Hill would all be in front of him for his preferred positions. Plus he would significantly beoverpaid for output. Demons can have him.
Ellis-Yolmen would be handy depth and nothing more. Elliot is good player but injury prone and doesn’t fit our needs. Ellis was good in the prelim but he’s a dime a dozen player. Sam Murray we already enough hbfs

Yep, Roberton is like him with better decision making.

tbh with where we are at, i wouldn't care if we took a 28 year old from the WAFL if we think he can come in and play a role. even if it's only for 3 seasons. we desperately need to start building a winning culture and if some veterans help that, who cares.

28 is probably workable, gives you 4 years or so and if you are plucking from the state leagues you are generally not paying with high picks. A low risk gamble.

Maybe the Sam Gray talk is just talk, but not sure why we'd focus on that area and use trade currency on Gray when we have Long/Lonie/Parker/Kent/Hind in the mix and we're still trying to figure out which of those will be long term small forwards. Would rather use a late pick on a speculative mid than Gray.
Our small forwards do not hit the scoreboard enough. Gray is a 20-30 goal a year player. Behind Bruce and Membrey, Parker was our next best with 16. Ratten was bold on his statement that we would look to get guys in that can execute, Sam Gray looks to be one of those due to our small forwards not getting the job done.

I'll go the early crow and say Coffield will play every match if fit. Foot skills are a priority and Coffield's probably one of our best users of the footy. Just needs experience now.

And I think that'll be the policy for King and maybe Bytel. Ratten will pump games into them to try to speed up their development.
If he is fit it would be amazing stuff if he didn't. Holding Coffield out is a typical stupid thing only St.Kilda would do. Let's hope times have changed.

Maybe the Sam Gray talk is just talk, but not sure why we'd focus on that area and use trade currency on Gray when we have Long/Lonie/Parker/Kent/Hind in the mix and we're still trying to figure out which of those will be long term small forwards. Would rather use a late pick on a speculative mid than Gray.
I think because he is more experienced and an improvement on all of them and has the ability to be a very good mid

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don’t worry, at the end of the day I hope the best player in the best form plays.

Kent’s provides the best contest when needed out of all the smalls. Lonie needs to take his chances as it’s really holding him back. Parker did tire and will be better for the run this year, consist impact throughout a game is key. Long was also impacting games more regularly until the last rd when he went back.

Also remembering we will play 3 talls this year by the looks of recruiting, that’s 1 less small. Hanners, Gresh will play more forward if we can keep the mids health. Will be interesting to see which, and how many small forwards we go with next year.
Kent is as soft as they come and basically a liability at AFL level. Took over from Mav. We are way better off if he is in the VFL

Our small forwards do not hit the scoreboard enough. Gray is a 20-30 goal a year player. Behind Bruce and Membrey, Parker was our next best with 16. Ratten was bold on his statement that we would look to get guys in that can execute, Sam Gray looks to be one of those due to our small forwards not getting the job done.
Gray averaged one goal a game this year, which is on par with Lonie, Parker, Long and Kent.

He found a bit more footy up the ground, but he's older than all of those guys. I'm not going to be upset if we get him as I gather he'd cost next to nothing, but I'd actually prefer we just back those young players and also try and get Gresham forward more.

If he is fit it would be amazing stuff if he didn't. Holding Coffield out is a typical stupid thing only St.Kilda would do. Let's hope times have changed.

Since when have we held back our talented top 10 draft picks?

All this ‘stupid St Kilda’ stuff is boring.

Kent is as soft as they come and basically a liability at AFL level. Took over from Mav. We are way better off if he is in the VFL

I kinda agree so far. He had one decent game for us early and looked poor in many. The one game he played great in was against Melb and I was adamant he should have been dropped for that game so what do I know?
I think the media pumped him up big time just by looking at his stats sheet rather than watching him play. The amount of times the commentators said he was a great pickup for us just showed how little time they spent watching us.

I hope I’m wrong about him. I hope he makes me look foolish.

I agree with that. The difficulty I see is we have to try and get another ~15 - 20 or so games into Hind and Parker ASAP to give them some kind of form line and so we can figure out who is best going forward, plus Long has been inconsistent and looks (in my view) like he could be special or could fall off a cliff so he needs about another ~20 as well.

I'm not sure how we do all of that and accommodate Gray. I also think it depends on how other trades fall out; if we get Ryder in and keep Bruce then we increase goal kicking power (although I don't know how the hell we accommodate Bruce, Winx, Membrey, Ryder and RoMa in the same team).

Its sad in itself that our third highest goal kicker only kicked 16 goals.
Then there is the fact that forward parker, kicked only one more goal than midfielder Gresham.
Lucky with injury compared to some others.

Lonie, Kent, Parker, Hind, Long all around a goal a game.

1 goal a game forwards in the AFL are dime a dozen.
2 goal a game forwards are rare as hens teeth. Milney was one of those. So my point stands, if Parker wants to be our next Milne, he needs to kick more.

But apparently Bruce on 1.6 is worth a late second.
at least we don't have to use Weller , Minchington and Wright - we are heading in the right direction with Parker , Kent , Lonie , Long , Young , Hind

I agree with that. The difficulty I see is we have to try and get another ~15 - 20 or so games into Hind and Parker ASAP to give them some kind of form line and so we can figure out who is best going forward, plus Long has been inconsistent and looks (in my view) like he could be special or could fall off a cliff so he needs about another ~20 as well.

I'm not sure how we do all of that and accommodate Gray. I also think it depends on how other trades fall out; if we get Ryder in and keep Bruce then we increase goal kicking power (although I don't know how the hell we accommodate Bruce, Winx, Membrey, Ryder and RoMa in the same team).
When the team struggles to kick over 70pts we are lucky we have one guy to average a goal a game , hopefully with a new game plan and better delivery we may just crack the 100pt mark a few more times and it may well happen because we accomplished this when Ratten took over the reins a couple times - having 3 marking targets in the forward line should help tremendously.

It’s certainly tricky. We had to move away from games coming easy at some stage. The extra competition may be what they need. I wouldn’t think Sam Gray is a priority, he would be a moneyball trade at the right price I’d expect

Gray averaged one goal a game this year, which is on par with Lonie, Parker, Long and Kent.

He found a bit more footy up the ground, but he's older than all of those guys. I'm not going to be upset if we get him as I gather he'd cost next to nothing, but I'd actually prefer we just back those young players and also try and get Gresham forward more.
exactly

at least we don't have to use Weller , Minchington and Wright - we are heading in the right direction with Parker , Kent , Lonie , Long , Young , Hind
I mean, the names you listed don't seem that different to the previous crew.
What actually makes them 'heading in the right direction'?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back