List Mgmt. 2019 Trade Thread - Part IV

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brad Hill is bloody good at what he does and that is "run all day". He has a decent kick but like I've said before "Big Boy" trades should only be done for match winning players. Those that take the game on in the tight moments, those that strive under pressure and do something special when everyone else is spent. There is no doubt that Hill would make our side better but at the cost that is being suggested now i don't see the point. I don't think we lose face if we walk away from the deal, i would actually respect our club more if we decided the price is to high.
It may be a shallow draft but pick 10 is generally that sweet spot where the stars come from, Brodie Kemp could still be there and I would love us to take a chance on him, if we look at getting a ruckman Luke Jackson moves around the ground like Marshall or if we really want a midfield/wing Dylan Stephens impressed in the SANFL this year.
But really what it comes down to is i just want the club to have a bloody 2nd round pick for once.
And i think i found out why we have been so successful at getting players to nominate us.
giphy.gif

I know a lot of ppl don’t rate acres, but with the right coaching he is better then hill, a nicer kick and a good overhead mark. Playing him in the ruck didn’t help.

If they focussed Acres on being stronger, he would be excellent in the forward line, one on one. I think they didn’t know how to position him properly, like what happened with lynch, who moved to Adelaide and became a success.

With lynch, they played him forward, back, weren’t sure, but Adelaide found him a niche as the go to centre to forward guy.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

I really don't think Acres is a better kick than Hill, Hill is much more creative and dependable with his field kicking, and his inside 50's are far better.

Fair enough but i am not the man making the calls so don't really know what went down , But i do know if you asked me to trade Brad for the 6th best player in the draft i Would decline. And so did Bell.

I think you should read about what's happened over the course of the trade period rather than speculate on the bits that suit your narrative. The Saints were more than fair to begin with,as proven by most media reports following the trade process. We are being more than fair again.

Last edited:
I'm not too bothered about losing Acres. It's never really worked out the way we would have hoped...and probably best to cut the cord and have a clean break. But Jesus, Hill would want to be hitting the ground at full tilt come the first round of 2020...and keep the momentum going for the next few years. Bloke needs to justify his outrageous worth...and cost.
Totally see the validity in Dard Ball gets statement and Tomjoad's... in addition to those thoughts it's got to be considered from a team perspective, cutting out the malignancy of dissatisfaction present in Jack Steven and apparently in Acres, for whatever reason, be it their personal issues, be it the need to be around wives etc or partners, can only be a positive, regardless of the financial loss or the loss of perceived potential or ability.

In a professional world such as these players are in, the team needs and must demand their 100 per cent focus...notwithstanding all attempts to accommodate their personal needs, which of course the club tries to do. However if those players want out or see greener pastures or are seriously not happy that is a cancer waiting to spread. So to gain able talent appropriate to our needs. willing to give their all.... as close to 100 per cent as they can means everything. That alone will change our side.
Then there's tremendous value inherent in Lethlean and co's work....getting us some great additions and some real quality all the time dragging that deadweight into the process, yet still forward ....up Hill TOWARD SUCCESS.

Last edited:
Let's do a (very) rough comparison to the reported deal and what WCE paid in the Tim Kelly deal.

What we give vs what WCE gave
10 > 14
2020 2nd (~24) < 2020 1st (~14)
Acres = 34
58 < 24

It's actually scary how similar in value the 2 trades are assuming I haven't left anything obvious out.

Acres isn’t worth 34 - I love the bloke but he’s a 3rd rounder at best IMO and in reality might even be steak knives

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Let's do a (very) rough comparison to the reported deal and what WCE paid in the Tim Kelly deal.

What we give vs what WCE gave
10 > 14
2020 2nd (~24) < 2020 1st (~14)
Acres = 34
58 < 24

It's actually scary how similar in value the 2 trades are assuming I haven't left anything obvious out.
I don't think that is the deal that was agreed on by the sounds of it.

10, future 2nd and 58

Acres was mentioned to be thrown in late, so I would say that changes the picks. And acres hasn't worth 34 unfortunately.

Can I take a quick poll, not that it will make a bit of difference:

If we fans had to choose between Acres or Bruce making way in exchange for the pick that gets us Zac Jones...

A) who would it make more sense for us to trade from a trade point of view?

B) who would it make more sense for us to trade from a list point of view?

C) who would you personally prefer get sold?

I'd prefer to sell Bruce only because it SHOULD also get us another pick to use in the draft, but Acres is probably more expendable from our list profile. I guess I'd prefer to keep Acres, feel like he could flick the switch with the right people around him, though maybe I just have to accept that might not be us.

Can I take a quick poll, not that it will make a bit of difference:

If we fans had to choose between Acres or Bruce making way in exchange for the pick that gets us Zac Jones...

A) who would it make more sense for us to trade from a trade point of view?

B) who would it make more sense for us to trade from a list point of view?

C) who would you personally prefer get sold?

I'd prefer to sell Bruce only because it SHOULD also get us another pick to use in the draft, but Acres is probably more expendable from our list profile. I guess I'd prefer to keep Acres, feel like he could flick the switch with the right people around him, though maybe I just have to accept that might not be us.

A: Bruce - with Ryder coming in he's now superfluous

B: See above

C: Acres - shown nothing in his time. Bruce competes and brings his team mates into the action, also does a lot off field too.

A: Bruce - with Ryder coming in he's now superfluous

B: See above

C: Acres - shown nothing in his time. Bruce competes and brings his team mates into the action, also does a lot off field too.
Your A is the answer for B, but thanks. I can't disagree with those ideas.

I agree, Lethlean has been really, really good for us sofar, and from the outside it looks like he's passionate and committed to turning us around, to bring us back to finals and deliver a flag. I feel like he took the role as a way back into the AFL system, but has become attached to the club since. That's my read on it anyway. It's the first time in a while that I've felt genuine confidence and excitement about the future of the club.

Spot on. He was vilified initially at the club. People closed their doors when he walked down the halls. Mostly because people didn’t want change. Now the club has so many new faces, he feels a part of it all.

Letting Finnis do the politicking and Leathlean do the footy has worked. Lethlean was going to leave unless he got Finnis’ job. He still might, but he is loving the footy side more and more. Let Finnis go to boring lunches with bureaucrats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Acres has agreed to go to Freo. Had been told an extension past 2020 was unlikely and with Hill and Jones coming was likely to be in the VFL come the start of next season:

Another tick for the list management from me.
"Acres confided in those close to him that he had no choice but to explore the Dockers option but was deeply hurt by St Kilda’s manoeuvre, which will take him away from close friends and a club which has been his home for six years."

Bye bye Blake, hope it works out for you back home.

Acres has agreed to go to Freo. Had been told an extension past 2020 was unlikely and with Hill and Jones coming was likely to be in the VFL come the start of next season:

Another tick for the list management from me.

Got to feel sorry for Acres if the reporting is accurate. It sounds like he didn’t want to leave however was backed into a corner to leave given limited opportunities next year & no contract extension beyond next year.

I really hope the boys know what they are doing here because I think Acres will make us look silly & become one of the best wingers in the competition. A further example of the poor leadership & development under the previous regime.

Good luck to Blake, definitely one of my favourite players of the past six or so years. Hopefully he doesn’t cop the same unwarranted criticism he receives by a few here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back