List Mgmt. 2019 Trade Thread - Part V

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't reckon Zac's disposal is as bad as being made out. Wouldn't think it's any worse than the Fremantle GOAT, in fact probably better. Definitely a better decision maker.

I'd assume he's gonna be spending a lot of time in the middle of the ground for us.

Anyone heard any news on what the go is with Newnes?

All this talk about him going to Carlton as a DFA, last I heard he hasn't been delisted.

We really can't afford to give up all out depth for nothing.

I hope he sucks it up, comes back and works his arse off to get into the side.
He’s 26 years old, he should be using the next contract period (2 years supposedly) on smaller money to prove his worth for his final contract. If he throws in the towel now, it says a lot.

It’s actually an overreaction to say he can’t kick and has crappy disposal, stats suggest he’s going at like over 70% which is totally fine, what people get confused with is he’s not shanking open kicks, maybe bursting out of a stoppage under pressure he might miss a few but you could say that for so many players, Dusty does that all the time wouldn’t say he’s a terrible kick.

10% of the AFL are “elite” ball users, like there isn’t many of them around, so personally think people are being a bit picky by saying Jones can’t kick I’ve seen plenty of footage showing he’s more then capable .

Watching him play he's messy. I think Healy might have been right, it could be decision making rather than skill error though. Composure can settle after a while, skill is harder to overcome. Disposal efficiency stats are are loose guide. A effective disposal only has to go a in a 5 meter radius of the player intended. Mc Kenzie and Nathan Brown are both in our best but neither would be a great kick. They handball off in tight and usually only attempt the easy kicks in space. Newnes types would look worse but he technically a much better kick. Guys who win the ball in tight often run the gauntlet so look worse than guys who are s**t outside users.

The best thing about having a deeper midfield is that it releases players to play in different roles. Yes Dunstan is very limited to the inside ball pig job but I reckon Steele can add a few more bows to his string if Clark and Jones especially can play significant midfield minutes.

It was strange what Horse did to Jones this season... gives him more time in the middle, he shows he can cut it but then gets moved back to HB when the aging warhorses are back in the team. Maybe Cho wasn't the only coach playing favorites and being inflexible in player roles.
Every single coach in the AFL has favourites and have specific roles for certain players that they don't want to deviate from.

Can't wait for the reaction when Ratten does exactly the same thing.

Anyone heard any news on what the go is with Newnes?

All this talk about him going to Carlton as a DFA, last I heard he hasn't been delisted.

We really can't afford to give up all out depth for nothing.

I hope he sucks it up, comes back and works his arse off to get into the side.
Gags said a few days ago that we still have a contract for Newnes and he will always have a spot with us.

Take that as Newnes is still thinking about what he wants to do, but we will have a spot for him if we wants it. And he isnt a delisted Free Agent right now.

I don't reckon Zac's disposal is as bad as being made out. Wouldn't think it's any worse than the Fremantle GOAT, in fact probably better. Definitely a better decision maker.

I'd assume he's gonna be spending a lot of time in the middle of the ground for us.
His disposals really aren't that bad. No worse than most midfielders in the competition right now.

A few commentators have pointed it out, and then people who don't know anything about him as a player have heard it, then repeated it to try and sound knowledgeable when talking about him being traded. Thats then snowballed into he can't even get the ball to his foot and its a momentous occasion if he can ever find a target.

Added bonus is that about rd6, after five really good games, he will have a poor game where he misses a few targets and then people will be commenting that they knew we should have never picked him up because his disposals are deplorable, despite it not being an issue in any of the previous games.

Every single coach in the AFL has favourites and have specific roles for certain players that they don't want to deviate from.

I'm sure he will. That doesn't change the fact that Cho played blokes that didn't deserve it, rarely changed positional tactics and often didn't react to opposition players who were cutting us up.

It will be inspirational in Ratts' case you know that - unless it involves Mckenzie in which case it will be due to Finnis pressure or will somehow be down to Trout....

Interesting to listen to Jones in the interview with Healy. He stated 1. He liked the role that Ratts had in mind for him and 2. He wants to play in the midfield, both inside and outside.

This suggests to me we've marked him down for a midfield spot.
Who's spot is Jones gonna take? Billings and Hill suuurely get the nod on the wing ahead of him. Inside, Steele and Ross can't play anywhere else and Hanners is way ahead of Jones for a midfield spot. Gresham is a more prolific clearance player than anyone now on our list so he gets an inside spot ahead of Jones. I just don't see who he's displacing tbh. I know people will role out the tried and true "ross is s**t anyway so his spot". But we all know he's better than Jones and just cops s**t cos some people needed a whipping boy this year.

It will be inspirational in Ratts' case you know that - unless it involves Mckenzie in which case it will be due to Finnis pressure or will somehow be down to Trout....
The same McKenzie that played one game off the emergency list under Ratts in the back end of the year? Yeh righto.

There's absolutely no way he's a better decision maker than Acres lmao. More even than his awkward kicking, Jones gets knocked for his questionable at best decision making. Stop just making s**t up lmao.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

which are all different things than your original statement.
No. His original statement was coaches other than Cho played favourites. I'd say playing people who don't deserve a game because he liked them playing favourites. I'd call not moving players out of their preferred positions despite getting shredded playing favourites too.

Who's spot is Jones gonna take? Billings and Hill suuurely get the nod on the wing ahead of him. Inside, Steele and Ross can't play anywhere else and Hanners is way ahead of Jones for a midfield spot. Gresham is a more prolific clearance player than anyone now on our list so he gets an inside spot ahead of Jones. I just don't see who he's displacing tbh. I know people will role out the tried and true "ross is s**t anyway so his spot". But we all know he's better than Jones and just cops s**t cos some people needed a whipping boy this year.
There is probably a large handful of guys that you could say Jones will take their spot, our side will look completely different to last year though so it's hard to say he takes one person's position.

The way Ratten spoke about Gresham, he will spend more time forward again this year, where he is most dangerous. Billing will be able to push forward more. Hanners will spend time on the wing. Steele and Dunstan need ro add more to their games.

With Steven gone we'd be mad to role with Steele, Dunstan, Ross and or Hanners at every stoppage. Jones will get plenty of time in there. Most sides have half a dozen or more blokes rotating through there.

My guess would be Billings will start on the HFF

What about if/when ratts has the same favourites as richo :eek::eek:

So far we've already seen (like richo) goat wasn't rated by ratts, nor is carlisle seemingly rated as being any good as a FB replacement for brown.

I wonder what else ratts has in common with richo?!

I reckon the club have told ratts he's got all of 2020 to experiment with the list and find the best combo (ie no finals is ok, so long as we are well settled and ready to really compete by rnd 1 2021).

If so, I think all spots will be up for grabs, even hill and billings not necessarily staying on the wings all year.

So the Tigers were into Jones if we couldn’t get the deal done. Speaks volumes. The kid can play footy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's not a surprise, Richmond don't rely on good ball use, they carry forward with run. He's an ideal Tiger. They actually have a shallow midfield too.

Haven't we all bemoaned the fact all year that our midfield is our greatest weakness? Based on that, I'd go with nobody being safe in there.

So to answer your question... who could he replace in there? Any bloody one of them

We will mix and match until we find the right combination. If that's Jones in there, fine. But if others step up and own it and that pushes Jones out that's good too. We won't be playing anyone who isn't up to par just because they can't play anywhere else. That's what Sandy is for.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back