List Mgmt. 2019 Trade Thread - Part V

Remove this Banner Ad

One? He was just the one I mentioned. Biggs, Cordy, Hamling, McLean. Dunkley had only played 17 games and had minimal impact, Boyd was great that day but barely in the rest of his career (Shane Ellen style). If you’re including Raph and Mini then these guys were definitely on par.

Pretty much every premiership side you look at has a mediocre bottom handful - flags are won by the stars. Our stars would have won us one with a little more luck.
McLean? Are you kidding? He'd walk straight into our best 10 or 12 players...

I wouldn't be too worried about Gresham's time trial. He is a footballer, not an athlete. He has visibly slimmed down over the off season so would have been taking his training seriously.

Ed Phillips would have smashed the time trial, yet Gresham is getting picked first every single time.

Start worrying if he suddenly cant run out games.

19 game McLean is leagues and leagues ahead of 33 game Rob Eddy though haha.

I think the point still stands that the bottom 6 didn't lose us too much. Like GWS, sometimes the blue collar workers do the grunt for the cream to rise. We did everything but get over the line. You try to make sense of it but we gave ourselves 2 chances and lost by a hair's breadth in both. You could put it down to the weight of expectation after such a long wait and lack of success, you could blame nerves for missed goals, the weather, the umpires etc. For some reason we have chosen to blame a few fringe players for it. The Dogs were the opposite, what ever we got wrong they got right and no-one analyses their bottom 6 because winning glosses over everything.

Accurate? Rowe had NFI that we wanted him till the last minute and the decision to take him was due to several talls becoming unavailable.
Because we lost McCartin , King , Carlisle , Roberton , Longer , Pierce , Austin and Clavarino missed the first 8 games we needed a tall and Rowe was the only body available at the time.

We were very lucky Marshall , Bruce , Wilkie , Brown and Battle never really had a injury because our only options were Joyce , Marsh or Rowe.

I think the point still stands that the bottom 6 didn't lose us too much. Like GWS, sometimes the blue collar workers do the grunt for the cream to rise. We did everything but get over the line. You try to make sense of it but we gave ourselves 2 chances and lost by a hair's breadth in both. You could put it down to the weight of expectation after such a long wait and lack of success, you could blame nerves for missed goals, the weather, the umpires etc. For some reason we have chosen to blame a few fringe players for it. The Dogs were the opposite, what ever we got wrong they got right and no-one analyses their bottom 6 because winning glosses over everything.

We were damn lucky with injuries 2009/2010. No depth to speak of.

Right, no worries.

Kings father told GC that Ben would not renew his contract after the initial two years. That was a week before he resigned with GC with 300k Ambassador money extra.
The AFL will probably give him 500k a year after this contract.

Not that I dont believe you, but until I see Bing actually confirmed as a Saint, I am not listening to rumours.

Lethlean did say in a radio interview that his old man rang him up and asked him about the offer from the suns the night of the signing. Lethers told him he (being Ben King) should take the offer as it was to good to refuse and the saints couldn't counter it..... Along those lines.

That tells me we did not have the trade currency to appease Gold Coast at this point in time. I dare say in two years we will. Gold Coast will surely deal before he's out of contract.

Showing interest in Ben Keays along with Masten. Archie Smith interest to. All depends who we take in the first 3 picks. Unless the 4th pick is in the PSD.

We don't have a 4th pick so we get a pick in the PSD unless we trade on draft night.

Are we interested in any other DFAs?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Showing interest in Ben Keays along with Masten. Archie Smith interest to. All depends who we take in the first 3 picks. Unless the 4th pick is in the PSD.

We don't have a 4th pick so we get a pick in the PSD unless we trade on draft night.

We have as many picks as we need, every club has enough national draft picks to fill every spot on their list. They just usually don't bother listing them after about 80.

Smith and Keays coming in together makes alot of sense. Would know each other well from NEAFL.

Lethlean did say in a radio interview that his old man rang him up and asked him about the offer from the suns the night of the signing. Lethers told him he (being Ben King) should take the offer as it was to good to refuse and the saints couldn't counter it..... Along those lines.

That tells me we did not have the trade currency to appease Gold Coast at this point in time. I dare say in two years we will. Gold Coast will surely deal before he's out of contract.

No that tells me that the $$$ were way above what we could offer due the AFL "topping" up Ben's paycheck if he stayed.

To get a player he has to nominate you and want to come.

Yes found it strange we kept Brown , but the club probably felt he was value do to his experience and he would be handy if needed.

Brown provides us back up at both ends.

Obviously he can play FB, but if say Max King struggles and/or he and Battle get injured then even if Brown is outside the 22 he can come in to play FB with Howard or Carlisle then moved forward.

Brown provides us back up at both ends.

Obviously he can play FB, but if say Max King struggles and/or he and Battle get injured then even if Brown is outside the 22 he can come in to play FB with Howard or Carlisle then moved forward.
Lol, so that would mean Billy Longer can play all over the ground too if he came in to play ruck and freed up Marshall to play forward and back. :thumbsu:

Lol, so that would mean Billy Longer can play all over the ground too if he came in to play ruck and freed up Marshall to play forward and back. :thumbsu:

Nonsense, Brown showed in 2019 that he is still good enough to play FB in the AFL in the firsts.

Longer was not an AFL level player and so he could free up no one. Longer could only do the actual tapwork, and was poor at the around the ground work that a good ruckman can do. Longer was not capable of playing any other poistion whether in the firsts or at Sandy.

Brown will be on a reduced contract now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back