List Mgmt. 2019 Trade Thread - Part V

Remove this Banner Ad

One query about Battle, maybe you more knowledgeable dudes can answer:

His body is classic Baywatch style broad shoulders and tiny waist, which makes him a hit with the ladies but is he strong enough around the middle to be immovable at CHF? I only ask because most key forwards I've seen seem to have a more sturdy frame with more weight in their midsection.

He's obviously in great nick, but are there concerns he'll get pushed off the mark too easily?

He unbalances the forward line because he isn’t that good. Rather battle there

I can only imagine Ryder is going to play the David Hale/ Kosi style tall forward to drop the ball at his feet type of forward and rely on our myriad small forwards to do the scoring.

I can only imagine Ryder is going to play the David Hale/ Kosi style tall forward to drop the ball at his feet type of forward and rely on our myriad small forwards to do the scoring.
Do you really think you have a player in a side to drop the ball. Kosi was a fantastic mark. Anyway both of them were when just about every side played 2 rucks. If Ryder plays I have no idea where battle plays. I know which one I’d rather.

His body is classic Baywatch style broad shoulders and tiny waist, which makes him a hit with the ladies but is he strong enough around the middle to be immovable at CHF? I only ask because most key forwards I've seen seem to have a more sturdy frame with more weight in their midsection.

He's obviously in great nick, but are there concerns he'll get pushed off the mark too easily?
Have you seen jack rewoildt? Players are getting thinner by the year.

Good point, but I think Battle has the power and mobility to cover it. He held his own against big forwards last season, so should be able to handle the pace against defenders.

You maybe right but there are so many variables,
1. Some guys are strong regardless of muscle mass and vice versa.
2. Strength in arse, hips and thighs is just as important.
3. Centre of gravity, Rhys Stanley is an example of a guy with very long legs and he struggles, Battle is better proportioned.
4. Game plan/structures/role. A lot depends on this unknowable, it may be that a Gunstan type of role is envisioned. Even if Battle struggles in that type of one on one contest it's up to the coaches to get the best out every player on the list, it may well be swings and roundabouts
5. Attitude/desire can have a big influence too.

You maybe right but there are so many variables,
1. Some guys are strong regardless of muscle mass and vice versa.
2. Strength in arse, hips and thighs is just as important.
3. Centre of gravity, Rhys Stanley is an example of a guy with very long legs and he struggles, Battle is better proportioned.
4. Game plan/structures/role. A lot depends on this unknowable, it may be that a Gunstan type of role is envisioned. Even if Battle struggles in that type of one on one contest it's up to the coaches to get the best out every player on the list, it may well be swings and roundabouts
5. Attitude/desire can have a big influence too.
Thanks for the detailed post.

I can't really argue with any of that, except to say that seems like Josh Battle's arse hips & thighs ARE pretty small - all at least when you compare them to a big lump like Josh Bruce.

So just based on their body shapes, I think what we can expect from Josh Battle as a forward is someone better in the air and on the run than Josh Bruce, but maybe not so good standing his ground in a marking contest.

I think we'll probably get him and Membrey flying around the arc while King or Ryder stay put in the forward square, or whatever it's called.

I can't really argue with any of that, except to say that seems like Josh Battle's arse hips & thighs ARE pretty small - all at least when you compare them to a big lump like Josh Bruce.

So just based on their body shapes, I think what we can expect from Josh Battle as a forward is someone better in the air and on the run than Josh Bruce, but maybe not so good standing his ground in a marking contest.

I think we'll probably get him and Membrey flying around the arc while King or Ryder stay put in the forward square, or whatever it's called.

Goal square 😜

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just waiting to see how they structure, Roma to be the wild card, maybe not too lot to put Battle on Roma's diet.

Except Roma

Fat basterd
Leave Roma alone; he’s dead sexy!

qo8HPVn.jpg

One of the reason we got Ryder is because we lack strong big bodies in the list..and one of things which I notice in the last few years, is how many many of our players were easily kept off the ball, or bumped out of contests. Bruce was big and athletic, but still got pushed off the ball a bit too easy and was useless in a ruck situation- Ryder will physically do a better job in the ruck and can still grab marks forward or defence as required. Roma and Battle are still developing and if we get a couple of serviceable seasons out of Ryder then it will be a bonus.

He's more a lead up mark than a crash the packs type. He was always compared to Gunston from Hawks, more the third tall forward type who is a little more mobile. You don't really need size or height as a CHF either so not really an issue. Last year he put on a mass of muscle, I remember thinking he looked like a'90s player at the intraclub last year. He looked like he spent plenty of time on the beach muscles in the ff season. Looked like a Wakelin or Ralphsmith with his '90s curtain-cut a over-developed shoulders.

I can't fit them all in i have.
Of the key players i have ,
Backs: Carlisle //Howard.
Ruck: Ryder or Marshall
Forwards: Membrey, King or Battle . Ryder or Marshall.

So i have one of King or Battle not playing unless we have an injury.
Sure you can play one off the bench , but then we are tall on the bench, and i'd rather carry an extra mid.

No that tells me that the $$$ were way above what we could offer due the AFL "topping" up Ben's paycheck if he stayed.

To get a player he has to nominate you and want to come.
The AFL have allowed the Suns to pay a significant amount of money outside the Cap for Ben King who received a significant contract for a second year player.

Rules for one and rules for another.

The commonly themed bottom 4 midfield we have according to this board Was the engine room to the team that contributed to as many scoring shots as the eagles and their fabled top 4 midfield.

I’m not saying it’s great. But I’m a firm believer in facts and stats. What I would want to see and I believe we have recruited for this..... is for us to reduce our total possessions(over using the ball) and improve our goal efficiency by being better by foot both in transition and kicking for goal.

Hill Jones and Butler have significant speed and leg power. Howard and Ryder should help us break even or win key 50/50 contests we lost more regularly last year.

The AFL have allowed the Suns to pay a significant amount of money outside the Cap for Ben King who received a significant contract for a second year player.

300k per year with 150k returned for the year if he breaks his contract.

900k outside the cap.

Same deal offered to Lukucious.

Thats 1.8 mill outside the cap for two players.

AFL need to disclose ALL Ambassador payments.

They wont because the punters would choke.

300k per year with 150k returned for the year if he breaks his contract.

900k outside the cap.

Same deal offered to Lukucious.

Thats 1.8 mill outside the cap for two players.

AFL need to disclose ALL Ambassador payments.

They wont because the punters would choke.

It's complete frogshit from the AFL, but tbh it is probably for the best that he didnt come this year.

We need mids and have some youthful depth down back. In 2 years Austin / Clav etc will either show they are up to it and have trade value or theyll have shown they're not and be able to delist without questions.

He would be a nice addition in 2022 when we are firmly in contention

Not sure anyone is at all surprised by this.

Can anyone see any way we can work our way back into the 1st round this year? It seems a year for mids and we could do ok with a pick between 10 and 15.

With no 2nd next year I just don't see us having currency even if the AFL let us bend the rules.

Any creative thinkers out there??

Remove this Banner Ad

Back