List Mgmt. 2019 Trade Thread - Part V

Remove this Banner Ad

Exactly. 2020 2nd is going to be like a pick in 30s with all the academy picks and father/sons. Acres was a depth player, not best 22 and I think the 3rd is a pick swap. And getting Howard with 18 is basically the whole trade when you gross it all up.

It is a good deal for Saints and a reasonable deal for Freo. How it should be.

Saints have been given a Xmas present and some people here, somehow, are trying to turn it into a dung hill.
🏌️‍♂️

Sometimes people like the world to burn.

Just chill and let the haters hate..

Its a great trade period so far that has transformed a stagnant middle class list into something to build from.

AFL needs to remove the salary floor. It was ensures finals sides have an edge

The only reason I can think that teams are made to hit the salary floor is to try and stop teams from tanking (yes I know it happens anyway). And whether right or wrong I think it would cause outrage amongst fans of battling clubs if they are only spending 60% of the cap. Fans probably want to see their team trying to spend as much of their resources as possible to try and compete. We all know it actually doesn't work that way in the real world, but I think the perception they AFL want to generate is parity among each team in the league, and the perception that each of the teams we support is competing on the same playing field when it comes to total player payments. The reality of it is though a lot of teams that have been down the foot of the ladder for quite some time end up paying C grade players A/B grade wages.

Just regarding versatility.
I think i read that Howard had played some ruck in the SAFL.

I don't think Austin , Marsh and Claverino play th same role.
Austin in particular seems to play more like Roberton.

I didnt know that about Howard. He keeps looking more and more impressive as the days go on!

Austin did well when he had the ball but struggled at the actual defending part. At 196cm, maybe he could be turned into a fwd type? Not sure about his athleticism though.

I didnt know that about Howard. He keeps looking more and more impressive as the days go on!

Austin did well when he had the ball but struggled at the actual defending part. At 196cm, maybe he could be turned into a fwd type? Not sure about his athleticism though.
I liked what I saw from Austin, he could be a handy utility.

Just woke up. Was really hoping I'd wake up to Blake not being involved.

Hate to say it, but Bellend has absolutely pantsed us on this deal. Happy to have Hill but that price is Neale / Kelly levels

Ridiculous. We are getting what should have been an AA player and you need to pay up for those. If we get Hill then we are the real winners either way

Exactly. 2020 2nd is going to be like a pick in 30s with all the academy picks and father/sons. Acres was a depth player, not best 22 and I think the 3rd is a pick swap. And getting Howard with 18 is basically the whole trade when you gross it all up.

It is a good deal for Saints and a reasonable deal for Freo. How it should be.

Saints have been given a Xmas present and some people here, somehow, are trying to turn it into a dung hill.

Academy picks can be a double edged sword though, since the clubs are pretty much "expected" to take them , it can keep them out of other options. So while the academy players are off the table to us, the non-academy players may slide more.

For Example, when the Saints got Rice, we might have thought that Tom Phillips was better, but we had more or less committed to Rice.
If North had rated Patrick Cripps ahead of Luke McDonald, they still would have taken McDonald.

The draft is compromised and the dynamics will be very different , but its not ruined.
Any good non-academy players can still potentially slide.

Geez it’s a happy place down at Moorabbin at the moment.

Even the guy’s that are getting traded out to there home state aren’t happy about leaving.

Absolutely wrapped for the club. This is the culture shift that could amount to something in the near future.

Our off field team is the best we’ve probably ever had and players want to come to the club.

#winning!!

I get the fears that Acres is going to go to Freo and be a star, but we haven't let anyone go recently that has gone on to become something more than they were with us.

Hickey is still an okay ruckman. Has some good games. Has a lot of average games. Has poor games. Just like he was for us.
Stanley still highly talent that isnt being fulfilled.
Freeman played VFL, despite many people suggesting he will be picked up and prove us wrong, and still had hamstring issues.
Weller not any better at Richmond.
Minchington still injured at Hawthorn despite calls they would make him a star.
Goddard still slow and very far down the pecking order at Carlton.

Bruce will go to the Dogs and have some great games, have some good games and other games where he cant mark anything and his kicking is terrible. Just like he would if he was playing for us. Acres the exact same

(Log in to remove this ad.)

58 for Jack Steven is a disgrace
Agreed, and to think we will be paying a part of his wage on top of that! A heft part at that.

Disgusting that Geelong would play on someone else's mental health to reduce his price and to say things like "He's not worth that much to us" and say on (paraphrasing)

Bellend screwed us big time too. Thank God Port are absolutely useless at the trade table.

Sneaky though on our forward set up: Carlisle plays FF

With Howard in we could work a backline with Wilkie, Battle & Roberton around him as the rock at FB.

Carlisle then plays FF. He won't be happy but hear me out.

Our midfield and ball movement improve. He will have Membrey, Ryder/Marshall & King alongside him.

Carlisle could easily kick 40 goals next year. Then if he is still not happy playing forward, his trade value has gone up dramatically.

There was talk of him going this year. Maybe we just make him look really good for a season and then cash in in 12 months time?

Ridiculous. We are getting what should have been an AA player and you need to pay up for those. If we get Hill then we are the real winners either way
Lol we are paying the price of a yearly AA lock and brownlow candidate.

I really wanted Hill but he is neither of those things.

Academy picks can be a double edged sword though, since the clubs are pretty much "expected" to take them , it can keep them out of other options. So while the academy players are off the table to us, the non-academy players may slide more.

For Example, when the Saints got Rice, we might have thought that Tom Phillips was better, but we had more or less committed to Rice.
If North had rated Patrick Cripps ahead of Luke McDonald, they still would have taken McDonald.

The draft is compromised and the dynamics will be very different , but its not ruined.
Any good non-academy players can still potentially slide.

Drafts generally are a bit of a crap shoot once you get past pick 15. Dal did some interesting numbers on draft picks over the years the other day - about 25% of picks over 15 make it as AFL players. So I don't mind 2nd roundrr in compromised draft going. If King is what we think he is, this current team is a team that SHOULD play finals and if Howard and Jones can step up to the next level, we can seriously challenge with just a few tweaks.

I liked what I saw from Austin, he could be a handy utility.
Yep 👍🏻

u-ute-pc.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back