List Mgmt. 2019 Trade Thread - Part V

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 25, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
It's classic victimisation of low hanging fruit. People have an idea of our club based on a now irrelevant history.

But mostly people just need someone to pick on. Dad beats the wife, the wife beats the kids, the kids torture the dog, the dog shits all over the garden and scratches the doors. We do it ourselves to loser clubs like Carlton, North and GC.

Some people just want to keep us in what they consider to be our correct place. Aussies (& Brits) hate anyone getting ideas above their station.

I don't really let other supporters insecurities get me down, except when it has the power to influence groupthink or even policy, like Barrett and Cleary or umpires.

I'm far more concerned with St Kilda supporters ourselves adopting a victim mentality or a loser mentality, and nothing can encourage that more than giving the time of day to the pathetic trolling attempts of some random Essendon or West Coast supporting deadshit on BF.
Recommended behaviour for dealing with Sociopaths..... ignore them , don't let them manipulate you.
If you let them know that you are irritated by a certain thing , they will continue to do it.
No fellas , I'm not talking about the umpires

Keg on legs

Cancelled
10k Posts St Kilda - Doulton Langlands Player Sponsor 2020 St Kilda - Robbie Young Player Sponsor 2019 St Kilda - Nathan Freeman Player Sponsor 2017
Oct 5, 2014
The beer fridge
AFL Club
St Kilda
Hind didn’t miss many targets left foot or right. More than happy with the ball in his hands.

He's one of the very few on our list who naturally lowered his eyes going inside 50

Yeah, the business model unfortunately doesn't stack up. Pokies earn more than booze and bands and real estate is worth more than big old buildings that need maintenance. The Espy looks good and has people going there again, it's jut not my cup of tea. I haven't been to Donovan's in years. It's been an institution for ever though. I used to prefer the stokehouse, I'm more informal and it felt like you were in a lifesaving club with better food. The new building is too uptight. Cicciolina is still a good restaurant and Di Stasio is still going down there.
So many memories you guys are raising. Grew up at the Palace, Espy and Prince of Wales watching bands from the late 80's.
Went to a beer festival in the gardens in Feb with my wife and we started getting hot so I said let's go check out the Espy. Got in line and about 5 mins in said we probably should bail as we weren't quite dressed or the age of what they were looking for 😂
My nephews band is playing there in a few weeks on a Friday night so will find out then I guess

So many memories you guys are raising. Grew up at the Palace, Espy and Prince of Wales watching bands from the late 80's.
Went to a beer festival in the gardens in Feb with my wife and we started getting hot so I said let's go check out the Espy. Got in line and about 5 mins in said we probably should bail as we weren't quite dressed or the age of what they were looking for 😂
My nephews band is playing there in a few weeks on a Friday night so will find out then I guess

Yeah, that was a bit depressing, everyone seemed about 12 when I went there as well. It looks like it would be nice for a drink in summer though. The Prince has shut the main pub and just has band room at the moment. So many good bands there over the years.

Sep 14, 2008
L2 A30
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
I reckon Hind was actually really good at slowing down a smidge just before kicking, and he'd usually hit the target.

Hind really surprised me with how composed he is as well as how creative his kicking is. He’d regularly find himself in a bit of trouble & do a dinky little sideways kick or make a late adjustment & find a teammate.

I’m not sure how he fits into a best 22 going forward but he’s excellent depth of he’s just outside the preferred team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jan 14, 2012
The River Murray
AFL Club
St Kilda
Hind really surprised me with how composed he is as well as how creative his kicking is. He’d regularly find himself in a bit of trouble & do a dinky little sideways kick or make a late adjustment & find a teammate.

I’m not sure how he fits into a best 22 going forward but he’s excellent depth of he’s just outside the preferred team.

I think he has a lot of impact on the game despite not finding lots of footy. If he can find a bit more of it I see him in the best 22 as he can play a number of roles also

May 6, 2009
AFL Club
St Kilda
I think the people who bag Zak Jones disposal are quick to forget his brother who has been a great player for the Dees was hardly delivering balls on silver platters his whole career, only have to look at Zak’s highlight package that was posted, blokes a jet, burst away from stoppages, loves tackling, attacks the footy as hard as anyone! I reckon they genuinely gifted us their most dynamic mid

Parker is a freak but he doesn’t have Jones’ pace and burst away from stoppages and Heeney is more a hybrid at this point. I agree with Gerard (can’t believe I said that) their midfield was slow with him let alone without him.

A ball butcher or two is ok in your team as long as they make up for it in other ways (eg getting 30+ every week etc) AND your team doesn't have too many of them.

Our midfield is already chock full of guys that are either great kicks who cant find it... or lousy kicks who can.

Jones (currently) doesn't do much to improve this at all, he just adds another suspect kick into the mid rotation.

Perhaps he'll improve his ball winning as a fulltime mid to the point where he gets 30+ everyweek and we look the otherway with his wonky kicks (much in the same way stuv was always given lots of leiniency)

Until that happens though, he's just another B-C grade quasai-mid/backflanker to add to our already overflowing bucket of those.

Im not against us getting jones because he didnt cost the earth, but i dont think he will do much to improve us at all

ScrappyDo

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 29, 2018
Omnipotent
AFL Club
St Kilda
A ball butcher or two is ok in your team as long as they make up for it in other ways (eg getting 30+ every week etc) AND your team doesn't have too many of them.

Our midfield is already chock full of guys that are either great kicks who cant find it... or lousy kicks who can.

Jones (currently) doesn't do much to improve this at all, he just adds another suspect kick into the mid rotation.

Perhaps he'll improve his ball winning as a fulltime mid to the point where he gets 30+ everyweek and we look the otherway with his wonky kicks (much in the same way stuv was always given lots of leiniency)

Until that happens though, he's just another B-C grade quasai-mid/backflanker to add to our already overflowing bucket of those.

Im not against us getting jones because he didnt cost the earth, but i dont think he will do much to improve us at all
I'm not sure our midfield in full of them. Ross and Dunny perhaps, but we just don't know what effect a chang in game style is gonna have.
I personally thenk Dunny suffered from our congested style.
It's hard when blokes are simply not in the right spot to pass to, then it's always option B or second guessing then panic because you're under the pump.

We've all seen our guys break out into patches of quality and skill, so we know they can do it.
Composure is the key, and that will come with more time and space, plus better structure.

Obviously they see something in Jones so we may yet be pleasantly surprised with him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

tim_saints

Premiership Player
Jul 16, 2008
Wonga Park
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Philadelphia Eagles - MUFC

It’s actually an overreaction to say he can’t kick and has crappy disposal, stats suggest he’s going at like over 70% which is totally fine, what people get confused with is he’s not shanking open kicks, maybe bursting out of a stoppage under pressure he might miss a few but you could say that for so many players, Dusty does that all the time wouldn’t say he’s a terrible kick.

10% of the AFL are “elite” ball users, like there isn’t many of them around, so personally think people are being a bit picky by saying Jones can’t kick I’ve seen plenty of footage showing he’s more then capable .

Jan 14, 2012
The River Murray
AFL Club
St Kilda
Play zac Jones like hawks play Tom Mitchell, don't worry about kicking the ball just get it and handball it to someone who can.

On DUB-LX2 using BigFooty.com mobile app
We want him tucking it under the arm and running with it instead of handballing.

He's not really a Tom Mitchell type.

lewdogs

Cancelled
Saints Pledge Contributor
Jun 4, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Arsenal, Portland Trailblazers
Interesting to listen to Jones in the interview with Healy. He stated 1. He liked the role that Ratts had in mind for him and 2. He wants to play in the midfield, both inside and outside.

This suggests to me we've marked him down for a midfield spot.

Sep 14, 2008
L2 A30
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
Interesting to listen to Jones in the interview with Healy. He stated 1. He liked the role that Ratts had in mind for him and 2. He wants to play in the midfield, both inside and outside.

This suggests to me we've marked him down for a midfield spot.

People are severely underestimating Jones by suggesting he’ll be on a back flank.

I’m really excited what he’ll offer us as a bonafide midfielder who can rotate out into a wing.

From 45

Club Legend
Jun 29, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
People are severely underestimating Jones by suggesting he’ll be on a back flank.

I’m really excited what he’ll offer us as a bonafide midfielder who can rotate out into a wing.

Exactly. He will primarily play as a midfielder with the option of moving to HB or HF as Gags has stated they like the flexibility of the players trading in where they can play multiple positions.

Jan 14, 2012
The River Murray
AFL Club
St Kilda
Exactly. He will primarily play as a midfielder with the option of moving to HB or HF as Gags has stated they like the flexibility of the players trading in where they can play multiple positions.
It's really going to put the pressure on guys like Dunstan and even Steele who can really only play the one role and haven't been able to do it as well as we'd like.

The interesting part of it all will be if Jones can win enough of his own footy. The first half a dozen games this year playing in the middle suggests he probably can.

Sep 14, 2008
L2 A30
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
It's really going to put the pressure on guys like Dunstan and even Steele who can really only play the one role and haven't been able to do it as well as we'd like.

The interesting part of it all will be if Jones can win enough of his own footy. The first half a dozen games this year playing in the middle suggests he probably can.

The best thing about having a deeper midfield is that it releases players to play in different roles. Yes Dunstan is very limited to the inside ball pig job but I reckon Steele can add a few more bows to his string if Clark and Jones especially can play significant midfield minutes.

It was strange what Horse did to Jones this season... gives him more time in the middle, he shows he can cut it but then gets moved back to HB when the aging warhorses are back in the team. Maybe Cho wasn't the only coach playing favorites and being inflexible in player roles.

A lot of our center contests this year were contested by Gresham who did an awesome job, but i don't feel its our best use of his talent.
I'd like to see Jones take over his role there, with Dunstan and Steele still doing what they did last season.

When Gresh was a forward he kicked 35 goals. None of the other smalls are good for more than 20 or so , ( thus far ).

Sir Skid

Just one Kegs lady boys!
10k Posts BeanCoiNFT Investor Ex-Moderator St Kilda - Nathan Freeman Player Sponsor 2016
Nov 30, 2012
Behind you
AFL Club
St Kilda

He's a good get imo. We'll be faster and stronger with him playing mid / wing.

Get excited!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back