List Mgmt. 2019 Trade Thread - Part V

Remove this Banner Ad

Saints fans "We need to pick up established players"

Get players in...
Saints fans "Jesus not these ones"

Sigh...

Not really, most want high end players as that's what we lack. Jones is alright but he's a high potential player not a star. He's a lot like Acres, Freo will hope he becomes a star but he's not yet. I like him but can see why he's not the most popular choice too.

Not really, most want high end players as that's what we lack. Jones is alright but he's a high potential player not a star. He's a lot like Acres, Freo will hope he becomes a star but he's not yet. I like him but can see why he's not the most popular choice too.
I think he's better than some on here think

Take the 5 worst players in our 22 ans replace them with what we've brought in.
It's a solid win in my books.
Yet still its faith in the youngsters that's at the heart of it.
I believe in Battle, Roma and Clark, and hope for Coff, Ming, Bytel to hit A+

It's a strange feeling of deja vu but if it comes off then we're gonna be pretty happy with it all..

I think he's better than some on here think

That's possibly true but he's not a star either. Hopefully a change of scenery and midfield opportunity see him realise his full potential. He's definitely quick.

Haven't we all bemoaned the fact all year that our midfield is our greatest weakness? Based on that, I'd go with nobody being safe in there.

So to answer your question... who could he replace in there? Any bloody one of them

We will mix and match until we find the right combination. If that's Jones in there, fine. But if others step up and own it and that pushes Jones out that's good too. We won't be playing anyone who isn't up to par just because they can't play anywhere else. That's what Sandy is for.
Yeah our midfield is our biggest weakness but it's not like we brought in Paddy Cripps or anything...

Take the 5 worst players in our 22 ans replace them with what we've brought in.
It's a solid win in my books.
Yet still its faith in the youngsters that's at the heart of it.
I believe in Battle, Roma and Clark, and hope for Coff, Ming, Bytel to hit A+

It's a strange feeling of deja vu but if it comes off then we're gonna be pretty happy with it all..

I'd say the best 22 from our full 2019 list was this (trying to field the strongest team rather than selecting for development):

B: Geary, Brown, Wilkie
HB: Savage, Carlisle, Roberton
C: Ross, Steele, Hannebery
HF: Billings, Bruce, Hind
F: Lonie, Battle, Membrey

Foll: Marshall, Steven, Gresham
Int: Acres, Clark, Dunstan, Sinclair

Our strongest 22 for 2020 will be this IMO:

B: Geary, Howard, Wilkie
HB: Clark, Carlisle, Roberton
C: Hill, Steele, Ross
HF: Billings, Marshall, Hind
F: Parker, Battle, Membrey

Foll: Ryder, Gresham, Hannebery
Int: Dunstan, Jones, Savage, Sinclair

Out: Bruce, Steven, Acres, Lonie
In: Ryder, Hill, Jones, Parker

Pretty even teams, to be honest. The small forward spot could be taken by a number of players but I think Parker has the best skill-set and size to impact in the AFL and has the most room for improvement. I don't see Lonie, Butler, Kent or Long producing any more than they have already shown over several seasons. I do realize that the 2019 team that I posted had a lot of players out this season, but we will have players out every season. I don't think the net change to the list is significant.

Some bloke called Max King exists
I'd say the best 22 from our full 2019 list was this (trying to field the strongest team rather than selecting for development):

Pretty even teams, to be honest. The small forward spot could be taken by a number of players but I think Parker has the best skill-set and size to impact in the AFL and has the most room for improvement. I don't see Lonie, Butler, Kent or Long producing any more than they have already shown over several seasons. I do realize that the 2019 team that I posted had a lot of players out this season, but we will have players out every season. I don't think the net change to the list is significant.

Who's spot is Jones gonna take? Billings and Hill suuurely get the nod on the wing ahead of him. Inside, Steele and Ross can't play anywhere else and Hanners is way ahead of Jones for a midfield spot. Gresham is a more prolific clearance player than anyone now on our list so he gets an inside spot ahead of Jones. I just don't see who he's displacing tbh. I know people will role out the tried and true "ross is s**t anyway so his spot". But we all know he's better than Jones and just cops s**t cos some people needed a whipping boy this year.
Competition for spots - that's what we like to see.

Add a full pre-season to Matty Parker and I reckon there's a fair chance he will be added to the midfield rotations as well.

It's the 2021 team that's interesting to me..

B:Webster, Howard, Wilkie
HB: Coffield, X X X X, Roberton
C: Hill, Steele, Clark
HF: Billings, Battle, X X X X
F: Gresham, Ming, Membrey

Foll: Marshall ,Jones ,Hannebery

Int: Dunstan, Ross, Savage, Bytel

There are still some important gaps to fill, and questions marks over Robbo and the whole bench I've named.
We need some guys to step up this year or they're in trouble. Long, Sinclair, Clav imo need to start delivering.

Once they sort the wheat from the charf it's gonna look different again. I see 7 places up for grabs right now and l expect Paton to be in there somewhere.

It's the 2021 team that's interesting to me..

B:Webster, Howard, Wilkie
HB: Coffield, X X X X, Roberton
C: Hill, Steele, Clark
HF: Billings, Battle, X X X X
F: Gresham, Ming, Membrey

Foll: Marshall ,Jones ,Hannebery

Int: Dunstan, Ross, Savage, Bytel

There are still some important gaps to fill, and questions marks over Robbo and the whole bench I've named.
We need some guys to step up this year or they're in trouble. Long, Sinclair, Clav imo need to start delivering.

Once they sort the wheat from the charf it's gonna look different again. I see 7 places up for grabs right now and l expect Paton to be in there somewhere.
I'd still have Carlisle there in 2021. I'm expecting him to bounce back once he gets a pre season into him. Couldn't have been easy coming straight back in after back surgery and very little work behind him.

I'd still have Carlisle there in 2021. I'm expecting him to bounce back once he gets a pre season into him. Couldn't have been easy coming straight back in after back surgery and very little work behind him.
As would l, but I'm expecting he'll be out next year.
If he's on our list and fit then he's in the top few..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who's spot is Jones gonna take? Billings and Hill suuurely get the nod on the wing ahead of him. Inside, Steele and Ross can't play anywhere else and Hanners is way ahead of Jones for a midfield spot. Gresham is a more prolific clearance player than anyone now on our list so he gets an inside spot ahead of Jones. I just don't see who he's displacing tbh. I know people will role out the tried and true "ross is s**t anyway so his spot". But we all know he's better than Jones and just cops s**t cos some people needed a whipping boy this year.
Firstly, Seb cops sh1t because he bloody deserves it.
I don't go to games much, half because of Richo, half because l need glasses but I still refuse to get them.
I can't see which player is which. It's 36 blury dots in 2 different colors for me.
Without seeing which player it is, l am 100% confident to say that one of those blury dots in the saints colour jersey gets a hellova lot of ball (which is great), and consistently crucifies our forward surges with the worst disposal at the worst time.
All l see is the movement of fuzzy dots, l can't be prejudice even if l wanted to.
I'll go so far as to say, that appart from our bad conversation, fuzzy dot Ross is by orders of magnitude the biggest individual waster of the team's total energies.
A high accumulater fuzzy dot with bad disposal in a crucial roll is a BAD thing to have, and were he to average under 20, he'd be delisted.

Now that I've got that out of my system, your point is right. There's not enough spots to squeeze Jones into the midfield.
Isn't that a good thing?
Dunny, Ross, Steele haven't quite stepped up, and now they're at risk of losing their spot, which is how it should be with an under performing list.
So it's going to help sort thing out, no?

Seb Ross bashing is the most nonsensical and boring topic around here. It’s not his fault we have a crap midfield. If he was the 3rd or 4th best mid behind some guns he would be raved about. The fact he is the best mid we have is not justification to give the inordinate amout of rubbish he cops.

Last edited:
I don’t think Dunstan needs to change anything until someone else proves they can win the ball as much as he does. Steele only seems to win it when he’s playing on someone. I know the coaching staff are trying to turn him into more than that but on the evidence we have he’s a tagger for now.

That's a bit rude.
How old is Dunstan? His best footy is still ahead of him. He may not be flashy but he is our bull in the middle. He gets the ball out to the flashy guys like Billings and Gresham.

Dunstan has always been able to find the ball, his low TOG has always limited him to ~20 possies.
But he took a decent step forward this year increasing his TOG.
If he can maintain his TOG at 75%+ over a season, he'll be very valuable to us because he'll get 30 possies a week- with a whole stack of those being contested.

Firstly, Seb cops sh1t because he bloody deserves it.
I don't go to games much, half because of Richo, half because l need glasses but I still refuse to get them.
I can't see which player is which. It's 36 blury dots in 2 different colors for me.
Without seeing which player it is, l am 100% confident to say that one of those blury dots in the saints colour jersey gets a hellova lot of ball (which is great), and consistently crucifies our forward surges with the worst disposal at the worst time.
All l see is the movement of fuzzy dots, l can't be prejudice even if l wanted to.
I'll go so far as to say, that appart from our bad conversation, fuzzy dot Ross is by orders of magnitude the biggest individual waster of the team's total energies.
A high accumulater fuzzy dot with bad disposal in a crucial roll is a BAD thing to have, and were he to average under 20, he'd be delisted.

Now that I've got that out of my system, your point is right. There's not enough spots to squeeze Jones into the midfield.
Isn't that a good thing?
Dunny, Ross, Steele haven't quite stepped up, and now they're at risk of losing their spot, which is how it should be with an under performing list.
So it's going to help sort thing out, no?
If you can't tell the dots apart then how do you know the dot who sprays it is Ross? :tearsofjoy:

Dunstan has always been able to find the ball, his low TOG has always limited him to ~20 possies.
But he took a decent step forward this year increasing his TOG.
If he can maintain his TOG at 75%+ over a season, he'll be very valuable to us because he'll get 30 possies a week- with a whole stack of those being contested.

He was one of the highest contested ball winners in the AFL this year.

As would l, but I'm expecting he'll be out next year.
If he's on our list and fit then he's in the top few..
Letting go of Carlisle would leave a big hole and I don't see us getting a lot for him at his age.

If it were to happen it would mean that we see Battle as a key defender long term I think.

I'm really intrigued to see where the coaches do see Battle going forward.

I don’t think Dunstan needs to change anything until someone else proves they can win the ball as much as he does. Steele only seems to win it when he’s playing on someone. I know the coaching staff are trying to turn him into more than that but on the evidence we have he’s a tagger for now.
For us to show some serious improvement through the midfield one of two things need to happen.

1. Dunstan shows significant improvement. Yes his contested ball numbers are up, but he needs to find more footy and become more damaging. His TOG is still a bit puzzling. It could be because his tank isn't up to it, but more likely it's because he can't play anywhere else besides on ball.

2. Someone goes past him and takes his spot. This could be Clark or Jones or a mixture of both. Both of those two have more upside than Dunstan but the question is can they win enough footy?

Seb Ross bashing is the most nonsensical and boring topic around here. It’s not his fault we have a crap midfield. If he was the 3rd or 4th best mid behind some guns he would be raved about. The fact he is the best mid we have is not justification to give the inordinate amout of rubbish he cops.

Nonsensical? Do you watch football or just look at stats sheets?

That's a bit rude.
How old is Dunstan? His best footy is still ahead of him. He may not be flashy but he is our bull in the middle. He gets the ball out to the flashy guys like Billings and Gresham.
one person's rude can be another's reality, I haven't trashed the guy, there are just some simple things that need to be considered, very slow and a liability defensively he simply cannot run both ways, very poor disposal efficiency even when he's good it's the four foot hand pass backward to a team mate standing still and under more pressure than he is add that onto the helicopter punts into the forward line, seemingly lacking the vision to open up play.

Anyone that plays AFL is by definition a better footballer than all of us, so Luke does do some elite things and his ball getting in the middle may be his saviour, David Rath said that a player needed to have a standout quality that the coaches could build on and that in and under is Luke's 24 and will be 25 by the start of next season, he's the same sort of age as Steele, Billings and Marshall, he's got 2 years on Gresh and a year on Wilkie, he's been a regular since he was drafted 6years ago so not a slow burn and was behind all those blokes and Ross and Membrey in the B&F while playing in a position where he can garner more votes, yet finished 7th.

We've got 5 players traded in two of whom will play midfield and a third who will play small forward, which will have the potential to influence his game time, we've got Bytel who the club think is a cracker and every chance of playing Rnd 1, we've got Hannebury, hoping to be fit and a coach that is prioritising speed and disposal, Luke's weak points. We've also got Clark and Coff who to greater and lesser extent can be looking for midfield minutes.

I hope a new coach and game plan lift the entire playing group, and Luke among them but a rising tide lifts all boats and improvement in the others may be more than Luke's.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back