List Mgmt. 2019 Trade Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
After watching tonights game fu** we need a player who can grab the game by the scruff of the neck and win it for us. Brad hill as good as he is, isnt this. Throw Coniglio 1.8m a year idgaf!
Seems pretty clear that Coniglio isn't coming at this point, I think we should get realistic. Someone like Brad Hill would be an excellent get imo, I can't see us getting someone better than him.

After watching tonights game fu** we need a player who can grab the game by the scruff of the neck and win it for us. Brad hill as good as he is, isnt this. Throw Coniglio 1.8m a year idgaf!
So much this!

Brad hill is not the answer but beggars can't be choosers.

We actually need several players who can do this. Geelong have Dangerfield, Selwood, Hawkins and Ablett. All ageing campions but they win games. Geelong are living in the now and are structured for short term success. They have others like Kelly and Duncan but their core are the big four.

We do need someone in the short term who can lead the way and whose influence can impact and develop others. But as good as Coniglio is I don’t think he’s worth such a huge chunk of our salary cap for years to come. He probably won’t come anyway, but that is beside the point.

Our best bet is to keep drafting and developing. Our drafting seems to have improved and the improvement in lads like Marshall, Battle and Clark (who looks really good) suggests we have players coming through.

We haven’t played finals in 8 years and we’re all impatient. But our best bet is to stay the course and think long term. We are still very young. I want us to win a flag and not just play finals.

So it’s best to continue to be frustrated for the long term dream, and hope we get our coaching appointment right. And hope we have the right people to continue to develop our crop of youngsters.

Gold Coast back to back 90+ point floggings. Ben King must be licking his lips to cone back to Melbourne
The last thing they need is another 6 kids, they need some decent mature AFL talent.

A couple of of cam Ellis yeoman and jack newnes types, they need to stop the bleeding.

We actually need several players who can do this. Geelong have Dangerfield, Selwood, Hawkins and Ablett. All ageing campions but they win games. Geelong are living in the now and are structured for short term success. They have others like Kelly and Duncan but their core are the big four.

We do need someone in the short term who can lead the way and whose influence can impact and develop others. But as good as Coniglio is I don’t think he’s worth such a huge chunk of our salary cap for years to come. He probably won’t come anyway, but that is beside the point.

Our best bet is to keep drafting and developing. Our drafting seems to have improved and the improvement in lads like Marshall, Battle and Clark (who looks really good) suggests we have players coming through.

We haven’t played finals in 8 years and we’re all impatient. But our best bet is to stay the course and think long term. We are still very young. I want us to win a flag and not just play finals.

So it’s best to continue to be frustrated for the long term dream, and hope we get our coaching appointment right. And hope we have the right people to continue to develop our crop of youngsters.

Its great to see players like Clark finally click. This is what we need. We don't strengthen the team by "getting rid " of any players. We strengthen it by replacing them. You can't do it in advance.

Gold Coast back to back 90+ point floggings. Ben King must be licking his lips to cone back to Melbourne

Maybe, but the AFL and media are all over the talent drain now, and it wouldn't surprise me that they take all sorts of measures to try to keep players like Ben in place.

I don’t understand the Goldy offer, our most promising youngish player in our team is a ruckmen rowan Marshall and should probably win our best and fairest. Goldy rucks 90 percent of game time. I understand we need more ruck support, so that’s why I think going after Draper makes sense, especially if we can get him cheap. Would rather use the cash we have to bring in elite midfielders.

I don’t understand the Goldy offer, our most promising youngish player in our team is a ruckmen rowan Marshall and should probably win our best and fairest. Goldy rucks 90 percent of game time. I understand we need more ruck support, so that’s why I think going after Draper makes sense, especially if we can get him cheap. Would rather use the cash we have to bring in elite midfielders.
One injury away from Sam Rowe as the ruck.
What happens if Marshall does a knee and is out for 12 months?

I was listening to roo and the others talking about how the first contract in the NFL is much longer blah, blah.

What always gets me is like the AFLPA they cherry pick the parts they like but don’t mention any of the rights players and teams have to offset what their talking about. You can’t tell an 18 year old kid it’s five years on the GC or you don’t play, if they want to wind up in court then just keep pushing.

Changes need to be made but properly discussed and thought out changes with all stake holders given a voice and it needs to be able to survive a legal challenge. Imo if you can’t grow the game in QLD until their producing decent numbers of players then 1 team was always enough especially given their proximity.

You can’t tell an 18 year old kid it’s five years on the GC or you don’t play

Of course you can. If they want to play AFL footy they need to accept the fact they may end up being sent to the other side of the country.
If they're not willing to do that, why should they be entered into the AFL system in the first place?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Of course you can. If they want to play AFL footy they need to accept the fact they may end up being sent to the other side of the country.
If they're not willing to do that, why should they be entered into the AFL system in the first place?
The AFL are still subject to the same rules as any other employer, players have rights.

I started writingf a few threads, along the likes of Newnes and Sincs to GC... Acres to Perth... Ross to Essendon etc...

Love my club, but am lacking the energy and or inclination to speculate at this stage.

I hope Roberton comes back in next year, Steven stays and plays, Hanners comes good, King takes some of the pressure off of Bruce and Membrey, Bytel comes good, Coff and Clark continue to grow.

It's not all doom and gloom.

Sent from my H8324 using Tapatalk

Changes need to be made but properly discussed and thought out changes with all stake holders given a voice and it needs to be able to survive a legal challenge.

The fundamental problem is that competitive equalisation and player’s rights are completely at odds. If players can go anywhere they want at any time then the comp will get more and more unequal (like the EPL). The AFLPA needs to buy into competitive balance properly or the equal comp will die.

Good luck with getting 5 years. What happens if they are no good. Even the clubs wouldn’t want 5 years

One injury away from Sam Rowe as the ruck.
What happens if Marshall does a knee and is out for 12 months?
Well that’s why we are going after Draper. Goldy won’t want to be second fiddle . I agree we will need to find another ruckmen as well as back up, just a cheaper option like a Ryan Abbott, peter ladhams , Tom Nichols

In business, in life in general, there comes a time where the only thing to move you forward is to cut your losses. I feel that way about a few of our players. If they star at other clubs, so be it. We need to be bold and stop dragging this stuff out.

We get three good players in who use the ball well, and we're a different team. We've got some players showing some great signs now. I actually think things can be turned around fairly quickly, but only if we go hard.

Well that’s why we are going after Draper. Goldy won’t want to be second fiddle . I agree we will need to find another ruckmen as well as back up, just a cheaper option like a Ryan Abbott, peter ladhams , Tom Nichols
Why get a crap ruckman though?

The fundamental problem is that competitive equalisation and player’s rights are completely at odds. If players can go anywhere they want at any time then the comp will get more and more unequal (like the EPL). The AFLPA needs to buy into competitive balance properly or the equal comp will die.
It’s a hodgepodge at present and fiddling at the edges while only listen to some stakeholders and ignoring others is ridiculous imo.

Why do clubs have a minimum spend? Why has the draft been allowed to become so compromised ? If the AFL are going to base the system on the NFL why haven’t they adopted the complete system?.

I don’t know the answers but the public should there’s no reason for it not to be transparent. The NFL doesn’t have a minimum spend, there’s 31 places between the first and last pick in the first round and the ways in which you can acquire players like free agency are far greater in the NFL than the AFL.

It’s a hodgepodge at present and fiddling at the edges while only listen to some stakeholders and ignoring others is ridiculous imo.

Why do clubs have a minimum spend? Why has the draft been allowed to become so compromised ? If the AFL are going to base the system on the NFL why haven’t they adopted the complete system?.

I don’t know the answers but the public should there’s no reason for it not to be transparent. The NFL doesn’t have a minimum spend, there’s 31 places between the first and last pick in the first round and the ways in which you can acquire players like free agency are far greater in the NFL than the AFL.
They have a minimum spend because of Fitzroy and the aflpa. The nfl earn enough to not need a minimum spend.

In business, in life in general, there comes a time where the only thing to move you forward is to cut your losses. I feel that way about a few of our players. If they star at other clubs, so be it. We need to be bold and stop dragging this stuff out.

We get three good players in who use the ball well, and we're a different team. We've got some players showing some great signs now. I actually think things can be turned around fairly quickly, but only if we go hard.
Underrated post!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back