List Mgmt. 2019 Trade Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Transperency? What do you want. A medical certificate. I don’t jack is missing games so he gets to play at Geelong. Pretty disrespectful if you are thinking that
Having sowed the seeds in his mind that they want him and he can get there who knows what impact that has had?

No I don’t want the details I want the broad story not whispers and rumours, you know him well and that colours your view. It’s always a roller coaster of conflicting emotions when sport meets business, there’s jack the person and jack the football star contracted to St Kilda on big money.

I hope it works out for jack and I expect we’ll do the right thing within reason but I’ll never be happy with Geelongs part in this. Even if it was completely unrelated they have still attempted to induce a contracted player to break that contract, very poor form imo if the information oh here is true.

Having sowed the seeds in his mind that they want him and he can get there who knows what impact that has had?

No I don’t want the details I want the broad story not whispers and rumours, you know him well and that colours your view. It’s always a roller coaster of conflicting emotions when sport meets business, there’s jack the person and jack the football star contracted to St Kilda on big money.

I hope it works out for jack and I expect we’ll do the right thing within reason but I’ll never be happy with Geelongs part in this. Even if it was completely unrelated they have still attempted to induce a contracted player to break that contract, very poor form imo if the information oh here is true.
Are you seriously suggesting we aren’t chasing players in contract. Come onyawkey. You are better than that

A million bucks a year buys you a pretty good chaeuffered car.
Geez get a stretch limo so he can stretch his legs out
Have you ever thought it may not be about money any more for Jack?

How about we just get behind the bloke and help him get back to some semblance of normality?

The rest will take care of itself.

LMAO we do exactly the same thing to other clubs.

Geelong offered us a very good deal end of last year when jack said he would entertain a return back home.

We refused to do the deal. Now its come back around, he basically hasn't played for a year, the offer of course would be less.

Sometimes its better to do the deal if a player really wants out. They end up getting what they want end of the day anyway.
That’s the part I’m uncomfortable with, who approached who?.

We’ll probably never know but with his contract they’ll need to deal for us to eat some of that.

Yes they are especially when they say they know the player
Geelong will look on this with interest.

Saying Jack has a mental illness will materially impact what we get as a trade.

If he is that unwell, it is a huge risk for Geelong. He may get worse and not play at all.

Why should Geelong pay out big for a player past his best with mental illness issues?

Don't want to sound harsh, but we say its a business, surely this is a factor for Geelong
great,then they can withdrawal their interest,otherwise taking that all into account and they're still interested means they pay up,no 2nd rd garbage

We might get nothing if jack stays and his mental illness gets worse? part of the problem would be the environment so he needs a change to be closer to home.

This is a special case, very different to the Gibbs/Beams trades and so should be treated differently... for the sake of the club (we get a pick or a good young player) and Jack.(he gets better hopefully being closer to home and a new team)

It's actually almost exactly the same situation as the Beams trade.

There is what one wants, and then there is what one can actually get.

As it stands the club either:

- keeps our first pick and gets the best available mid (which currently looks like it will not be top3 and so will miss the 3 best mids).
- try and get the best available mid and for St Kilda that is Hill.

One can dream as much as one wants but there is no likely reason that say Cogs will choose us unless he values $$$ above all else.

Most mids that people will want to get to St Kilda will also want to win an AFL Premiership and will choose a team whom they believe are in the window next year.

With Hill he is already a 3× AFL premiership player, and as such I believe:
- that he will place a higher value on $$$ than say Cogs would for example.
- that he will not simple dismiss us due him not thinking it likely that we will a flag within 3 years.. Or rather that other teams are much more likely to.

He is gettable by us in terms of what we can trade.

At 26 he is a good age as he has an extended window.

That seems logical but.....
missing the best players? Maybe
David Swallow, Harley Bennell, Sam Day, vs Andrew Gaff, Jared Polec, Reece Conca , vs Josh Caddy, Dyson Heppel, Dion Prestia.
Jon Patton, Coniglio, Tyson , vs Hoskin Elliot, Buntine, Wingard, vs Haynes , Longer (lol ), Tomlinson
Whitfield , O'Rourke, Plowman vs Toumpas , Stringer, Macrae , vs Wines, Mayes , Vlastuin
Boyd, Kelly, Billings, vs Bontempelli, Kolodjashnij , Scharenberg , vs Aish , McDonald, Salem
McCartin, Petracca, Brayshaw vs Pickett , DeGoey, Marchbank, vs Ahern , Wright, Moore.
Weitering , Schache , Mills, vs Oliver, Parish, Francis, vs Hopper, AhChee, Weiderman
McGrath, Taranto, McLuggage vs Ainsworth, Setterfield, Petrovski-Seton, vs Scrimshaw , Logue Brodie.

I bolded the ones that i'd really love to have at the Saints, and they aren't all from the top 3.

At 26 it means he has maybe four years to improve the team before he's worthless.
We will still have a midfield that can't win the centre clearances.

They likes of King, are probably a good few years away from their best footy.

Taking the draft it may be 4 years before that pick is at their best, and it may be not come to fruition, but it gives you a chance of having a gun for 8 years or so.

Geelong have generally been very good to deal with. I think the trade would be very simple which would be their first rounder which will be around pick 16-20. At the end of the day they demanded value for Kelly last year and didn't do a deal they felt was unders so I don't think they'll try to low-ball us. They will probably get a very good pick or two for Kelly aswell so will most likely lose Kelly but gain Steven and a high pick, which won't look too bad.

Having said all this, the article by Barrett was implying that Geelong are sniffing around Steven. I think this seems like nonsense, that would be pretty distasteful of them to be sounding out a player that has mental health issues and has had most of the season off. The scenario in which Steven leaves is solely if he requests a trade. This makes me think that Barrett doesn't really know what he's talking about and may be just guessing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Geelong offered us a very good deal end of last year when jack said he would entertain a return back home.

We refused to do the deal. Now its come back around, he basically hasn't played for a year, the offer of course would be less.

Sometimes its better to do the deal if a player really wants out. They end up getting what they want end of the day anyway.

What was the deal, Mik?

The lack of empathy for someone suffering with a mental illness just because they want to see someone play football in their colours or someone else from a trade is pretty disappointing.

Having never suffered a mental health crisis, only the odd down period, but seeing all around me my whole life ( mother had mental health challenges her whole life, daughter who suffers acute anxiety), the blaise attitude towards Steven and his health is a bit bewildering.

We don't know the circumstances of this man, if he needs to be with his family so be it.
Nobody or nothing would stop me being with my family, not contracts, not employment, and certainly not football if it was keeping me away.

Seems as though some hold others to a different standard to what they would require in their personal life.

I don't think this is an abstract dry argument about contracts and trades.

That’s the part I’m uncomfortable with, who approached who?.

We’ll probably never know but with his contract they’ll need to deal for us to eat some of that.
Jack got his manager to ask the question. Geelong acknowledged and a deal was sort.

But clubs ask the question of nearly every good player. Of course they do.. We do it as well.

LMAO we do exactly the same thing to other clubs.
Do we? You can inquire during the trade period or approach the club but have we spoken directly to contracted players.

Pitching to players coming off contract through their agents is also reasonable but players mid contract?.

Geelong have generally been very good to deal with. I think the trade would be very simple which would be their first rounder which will be around pick 16-20. At the end of the day they demanded value for Kelly last year and didn't do a deal they felt was unders so I don't think they'll try to low-ball us. They will probably get a very good pick or two for Kelly aswell so will most likely lose Kelly but gain Steven and a high pick, which won't look too bad.

Having said all this, the article by Barrett was implying that Geelong are sniffing around Steven. I think this seems like nonsense, that would be pretty distasteful of them to be sounding out a player that has mental health issues and has had most of the season off. The scenario in which Steven leaves is solely if he requests a trade. This makes me think that Barrett doesn't really know what he's talking about and may be just guessing.
Geelong have been the ones approaching him for years. I doubt this year is any different.

I’m very comfortable with us deciding last year to hold him. His situation was impossible to foresee and you can’t let players go on the off chance they go through what Steven has. If he’d not suffered mental health issues this year, there’s every chance he’d be in line for a 5th B&F and we’d be stoked.

Have you ever thought it may not be about money any more for Jack?

How about we just get behind the bloke and help him get back to some semblance of normality?

The rest will take care of itself.

Would you expect your employer to take a hit to their business to solve your personal issues they have nothing to do with?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back