List Mgmt. 2019 Trade Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
You were talking about him playing , anywho you can make up as many ideas as you like i still think its a waste of time getting goldy

yeah Petrie and Giles also played for WCE

but remember they only got game time when injuries occured, otherwise its based on form and their form wasn't good enough

same deal for goldy. i dont necessarily agree with the idea but i think thats the clubs thinking.

Jan 14, 2012
The River Murray
AFL Club
St Kilda
How we didn't get a pick 7 for pick 10 in the same year? Pick 7 was so Titch could go to the Hawks and we got their future first.

Perhaps calling it trading away our future is too strong but we are really good at making everything complex in trades and not actually getting much for it. We must spend a lot of time and energy on these hair brained schemes and are casual about the drafting part. Freeman was a bust, Steele hasn't come on and Hanners is looking like he's still banged up, three future seconds burnt. Traded out Hickey and now need to replace him as the rucks we kept are still no good. Stanley for Goddard seems to be replacing whet we already had developed in Stanley...a tall swingman.

I think you like to get upset with my pointing out what went wrong because it's easier than dealing with the reality.
What do you mean how? We got 7, 29, and 39 for pick 10. Doesn't matter if 7 was the next year, thats what we got.

I'm not getting upset at all.

I agree not all our trading has been good. That was never my point so you dont have to try and put words in my mouth to help your argument.

Your original post was talking about keeping our high pick because that's where you get elite talent and claimed we have traded away our future by doing this in the past. I pointed out the times we have done that it has worked out well. You seem to be going off track now.

You gave one example being Josh Kelly. I pointed out it also goes the other way. Getting Carlisle whilst keeping a first in an even draft worked out terrific for us. As did the Hawthorn trade. Trading pick one for 2 picks in 2014 would have also been much better than what we got but we didn't do it.

Premium

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 8, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
Who is the realistic target you’d have us go for?
they are both good targets and would improve our list alot.
beggars can't be choosers.
Yeah agree. I hope Ratts is named and puts White in as I just have a feeling he'll come good, but will need some convincing to stay.

Brown should stay unless we can replace him.

We need to cut our cloth in terms of trades and FAs and keep pick 3.

Geary, Brown/Tomlinson, Wilkie
Savage/Coffield, Battle, Webster
Marshall, Steele, Jones
Billings, Ross, Hill
Gresham, Tomlinson/King, Martin
Lonie, Bruce, Membrey
Clark/Newnes, Hannebery/Dunstan, Acres/Sinclair, Kent/Long

Bytel & Kemp in the 'who knows but might be the answer' bucket

It's a side that could perform well enough that we might be able to attract a Coniglio-type in the future - it is no doubt the glaring missing piece in the lineup. I think it is probably more than we can hope for, but possible.
Our base of our team is as good as any getting around in the age demographic which is very young , as we know it usually takes 4 or 5 preseasons before a lot of these kids get the build to compete on a consistent basis.

But taking that into account we have 8 guys 23 and under who are AFL grade players - Billings 23, Marshall 23, Battle 20 , Wilkie 23, Gresham 21, Lonie 22 , McKenzie 23 , Steele 23

Then we have our recent draft picks who are still developing and are 21 or under - Phillips 21, King 19, Hunter Clark 20, Coffield 19, Bytel 19, Paton 20, Langlands 19, Clavarino 20, Long 21 , Mayo 19.

So just looking at this alone we can field a team of player's of 23 and under and I would doubt not to many teams could boast that and we have already played 13 of these guys in the senior team.

We also have a few others like Parker , Young , Marsh , White , Joyce , Hind who have played seniors but have not really cemented themselves into the side.

Then we have our senior players like Webster , Ross , Bruce , Kent , Membery , Carlisle , Dunstan , Acres , Savage , Sinclair , Newnes who play most weeks , however a few of our regular guys might not be as strong as we need and might find themselves on the outer next year or another club - Newnes , Savage , Acres and Dunstan- I might be a bit harsh on Savage but we have to many halfback flankers - so he is out.

Now we get to Steven and Hannebery of 2 most high profile players in the squad and one might retire and the other might not have the body to stand up to footy anymore.

Then we have a bunch of players who are in there twilight of there careers or there careers are finished.
Armitage , Brown , Geary- will be there next year but age and injury will finish him next year most probably , Longer , McCartin , Roberton , Rice , Pierce , Rowe

Now we can basically say we will have 8 players de-listed next year and we could lose at least 5 in trades / Newnes , Acres , White , Savage and Dunstan

So if you were looking at the team and the potential this what I would expect it would look like.
(also I feel Tomlinson is already a done deal so I'm adding him to the list)

Geary / Paton - Tomlinson - Wilkie
Webster - Carlisle - Battle
Billings - Ross - Z.Jones
Membery - Bruce - Kent
Lonie - King - Gresham

Marshall - Steele - Coniglio

Hunter Clark - Coffield - (Hannebery - Steven - Bytel - Sinclair - McKenzie - Hind - Parker)

( key defenders as back ups - Marsh , Austin , Joyce )

This team will play finals next year even without Steven and Hannebery.

We will get a big Fish either Coniglio , Whitfield or Brad Crouch.
and surely they will have one of Langdon , Jones or Martin

without injuries and the added ball winners plus development of the younger brigade will be in the finals , how far will be judged by the coach and injuries.

Incoming
Coniglio
Tomlinson
Z.Jones or Langdon
Draper or Goldstien
Bonar
1st round draft pick
3rd round draft pick - Biggie
4th round draft pick
rookie pick - Voss
add on a couple list cloggers

Dec 4, 2000
The Bay
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
NO Saints LUFC
he mentioned north mate! so unless we were the other club and the bloke currently at GWS is a hologram i think your "mail" is wrong.
It's not. Can guarantee what W2L posted was true.

Moot point because we did not land him, but to state we were not in the top two is laughingly wrong.

Moot point because we did not land him, but to state we were not in the top two is laughingly wrong.
I take what kelly said at face value. So unless someone can post something verifiable beyond an unnamed source. That's what I'm going on.

Premium

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 8, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
pure guess work based on what's happened in the past. we publicly announce our interest in a player. we tend to be out of the running as soon as another big money offer pops up.

in this case i think we've worked out cogs aint happening. he will stay at GWS. so we've moved onto brad hill.
If Cogs doesn't get enticed , Whitfield will be targeted - a lot of water to go over the bridge , but GWS can not afford to have 9 players carrying nearly 3/4's of there cap space - Cameron , Davis , Green , Kelly , Coniglio , Ward , Whitfield , Patton , Taranto , Hooper and having to up the contract on Taranto , Hooper and Conigilo

Patton , Tomlinson and Bonar will most probably be moved on but they will need more to up the money for Coniglio , Taranto and Hooper.

Saint Hendy

Debutant
Pokemon is Life
Nov 27, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
they are both good targets and would improve our list alot.
beggars can't be choosers.

Our base of our team is as good as any getting around in the age demographic which is very young , as we know it usually takes 4 or 5 preseasons before a lot of these kids get the build to compete on a consistent basis.

But taking that into account we have 8 guys 23 and under who are AFL grade players - Billings 23, Marshall 23, Battle 20 , Wilkie 23, Gresham 21, Lonie 22 , McKenzie 23 , Steele 23

Then we have our recent draft picks who are still developing and are 21 or under - Phillips 21, King 19, Hunter Clark 20, Coffield 19, Bytel 19, Paton 20, Langlands 19, Clavarino 20, Long 21 , Mayo 19.

So just looking at this alone we can field a team of player's of 23 and under and I would doubt not to many teams could boast that and we have already played 13 of these guys in the senior team.

We also have a few others like Parker , Young , Marsh , White , Joyce , Hind who have played seniors but have not really cemented themselves into the side.

Then we have our senior players like Webster , Ross , Bruce , Kent , Membery , Carlisle , Dunstan , Acres , Savage , Sinclair , Newnes who play most weeks , however a few of our regular guys might not be as strong as we need and might find themselves on the outer next year or another club - Newnes , Savage , Acres and Dunstan- I might be a bit harsh on Savage but we have to many halfback flankers - so he is out.

Now we get to Steven and Hannebery of 2 most high profile players in the squad and one might retire and the other might not have the body to stand up to footy anymore.

Then we have a bunch of players who are in there twilight of there careers or there careers are finished.
Armitage , Brown , Geary- will be there next year but age and injury will finish him next year most probably , Longer , McCartin , Roberton , Rice , Pierce , Rowe

Now we can basically say we will have 8 players de-listed next year and we could lose at least 5 in trades / Newnes , Acres , White , Savage and Dunstan

So if you were looking at the team and the potential this what I would expect it would look like.
(also I feel Tomlinson is already a done deal so I'm adding him to the list)

Geary / Paton - Tomlinson - Wilkie
Webster - Carlisle - Battle
Billings - Ross - Z.Jones
Membery - Bruce - Kent
Lonie - King - Gresham

Marshall - Steele - Coniglio

Hunter Clark - Coffield - (Hannebery - Steven - Bytel - Sinclair - McKenzie - Hind - Parker)

( key defenders as back ups - Marsh , Austin , Joyce )

This team will play finals next year even without Steven and Hannebery.

We will get a big Fish either Coniglio , Whitfield or Brad Crouch.
and surely they will have one of Langdon , Jones or Martin

without injuries and the added ball winners plus development of the younger brigade will be in the finals , how far will be judged by the coach and injuries.

Incoming
Coniglio
Tomlinson
Z.Jones or Langdon
Draper or Goldstien
Bonar
1st round draft pick
3rd round draft pick - Biggie
4th round draft pick
rookie pick - Voss
add on a couple list cloggers

Brad Crouch is not a big fish, everyone is hating or Seb for his capacity to turn the ball over, I would strongly suggest watching Brad for even a quarter of a game.

Also like the optimism but can't see Conigs or Whitfield coming.

Our best bet is paying overs for almost A grad players and trying to snaffle young players that could be elite.

Premium

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 8, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
Brad Crouch is not a big fish, everyone is hating or Seb for his capacity to turn the ball over, I would strongly suggest watching Brad for even a quarter of a game.

Also like the optimism but can't see Conigs or Whitfield coming.

Our best bet is paying overs for almost A grad players and trying to snaffle young players that could be elite.
Well I think we are set up to secure one - and have people who know the targets so I'm hoping they pull it off.

However we need more than one ball winner so hopefully we can snag one of Langdon , Jones , Hill or Martin , we need a couple ball winners to help open play and give our forwards more of a chance.

If can't it's going to be another long season with Dunstan being our biggest clearance winner.

st_trav_ofWA

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
We’re obviously stacked for backs but I’d be pretty happy to facilitate a change of scenery for Logue- was really keen on him in his draft year. WA native though isn’t he?
yeah but a Saints fan too boot ... has been to a couple of our functions over the years ... basically the kid wants to play footy , he would play on the moon if it meant he would get a good crack at it ...
considering we play in NZ & China the moon might be next on the list

st_trav_ofWA

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
What do you mean how? We got 7, 29, and 39 for pick 10. Doesn't matter if 7 was the next year, thats what we got.

I'm not getting upset at all.

I agree not all our trading has been good. That was never my point so you dont have to try and put words in my mouth to help your argument.

Your original post was talking about keeping our high pick because that's where you get elite talent and claimed we have traded away our future by doing this in the past. I pointed out the times we have done that it has worked out well. You seem to be going off track now.

You gave one example being Josh Kelly. I pointed out it also goes the other way. Getting Carlisle whilst keeping a first in an even draft worked out terrific for us. As did the Hawthorn trade. Trading pick one for 2 picks in 2014 would have also been much better than what we got but we didn't do it.
not we didnt do it ... no one with the two picks were willing to play ball for it

Premium

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 8, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
Heard Impey talking on SEN yesterday and he made a comment that Clarkson would phone him every week to coax him to move to the Hawks.
If this happening I would put money on the Saints phone has been running hot over the past year - knowing Gubby has all of the GWS phone numbers.

Premium

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 8, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
yeah but a Saints fan too boot ... has been to a couple of our functions over the years ... basically the kid wants to play footy , he would play on the moon if it meant he would get a good crack at it ...
The kid has the ability , and any upgrade in any position in our squad is a bonus.
Tuckers another one.

Sep 27, 2012
Behind You
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Phoenix Suns
Anyone think Cam Ellis-Yolmen is worth a look if we miss out on a big fish mid. Stat wise he is very similar to Dunstan but in saying that he is sharing a midfield with Crouch Bros, Sloane, Greenwood and Douglas so doesnt get much time in the middle I would have thought. Is a handball first mid which isn't a bad thing sometimes. We need an extractor. He has a far greater upside to Dunstan IMO and is a Free Agent so cost us nothing. Could be handy like Stevens was for us.

st_trav_ofWA

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda

just out of curiosity where does your source rank Hawthorn in the pecking order for Kelly ? or Essendon and Carlton for that matter? a pretty credible source i know puts all of them ahead of us in getting his signature with GWS the first choice and North the next

Sep 14, 2008
L2 A30
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
I take what kelly said at face value. So unless someone can post something verifiable beyond an unnamed source. That's what I'm going on.

No one has ever lied or scooted around the truth in an interview.

Especially when it comes to changing clubs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Drake Huggins

Club Legend
May 2, 2018
The ghost of the G.G. Huggins Stand
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Stoke City, Southampton.
Nah. No atmosphere.

st_trav_ofWA

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
The kid has the ability , and any upgrade in any position in our squad is a bonus.
Tuckers another one.
i dont specifically think he is coming to us .. but i reckon he will request a trade to a Vic club come seasons end... the link to who he supported growing up may put us in the picture but lots of things need to add up first before that would happen .. so i wouldnt say its happening

Sep 14, 2008
L2 A30
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
just out of curiosity where does your source rank Hawthorn in the pecking order for Kelly ? or Essendon and Carlton for that matter? a pretty credible source i know puts all of them ahead of us in getting his signature with GWS the first choice and North the next

I’m not sure about Joffa’s but mine had us first in line if Kelly decided to leave. At least 2 other people on this forum have the same intel from different sources.

It doesn’t fit the narrative of some on here that the club is in disarray & any indication they’re doing anything right is immediately shot down.

Meh. Easier to be miserable I suppose.

st_trav_ofWA

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
I’m not sure about Joffa’s but mine had us first in line if Kelly decided to leave. At least 2 other people on this forum have the same intel from different sources.

It doesn’t fit the narrative of some on here that the club is in disarray & any indication they’re doing anything right is immediately shot down.

Meh. Easier to be miserable I suppose.

not doubting your source ... just mine told a differant story to that and had our club as an afterthought and the only thing that had us still on the line was the dollar value of our offer ...
i guess we will never know what source was right except for the fact he chose to stay at GWS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back