List Mgmt. 2019 Trade Thread - Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't see how the 4 talls can play together in the backline without making us hopelessly immobile. Rather than play Battle on the wing when Brown plays, we should play him forward. Otherwise I suppose you could just rotate the 4 of them through the bench so there's only ever 3 of them back there at once. Seeing Battle nail that goal last week made me want him playing forward though.

Yep battle forward, rather than potentially trading him would certainly resolve the issue.

Except I think perhaps the window may close on that option next year with king in.

Battle can go forward now- but next year he would presumably need to put 1 of bruce or membery out of the team.
Seems wasteful to play 1 of battle or bruce at sandy.

Yep battle forward, rather than potentially trading him would certainly resolve the issue.

Except I think perhaps the window may close on that option next year with king in.

Battle can go forward now- but next year he would presumably need to put 1 of bruce or membery out of the team.
Seems wasteful to play 1 of battle or bruce at sandy.

Hopefully King does fix the forward line woes in which case Battle some weeks will be excess to needs. Brown won't play many games next year I suspect so we will need battle on the list. If we get the other King, I'd just trade out Carlisle.

Maybe just don’t play brown. Fixes everything.

You mean the setup we tried against the tigers and roos earlier in the year in 2 losses with the oppositions number 1 tall forward kicking 3 goals each time?

I predict ratts will at selection this week show that he doesn't think that works and brown will take the number 1 tall forward.

Do you think ratts agrees with your fix pluggs?
If so he won't pick brown will he?

You mean the setup we tried against the tigers and roos earlier in the year in 2 losses with the oppositions number 1 tall forward kicking 3 goals each time?

I predict ratts will at selection this week show that he doesn't think that works and brown will take the number 1 tall forward.

Do you think ratts agrees with your fix pluggs?
If so he won't pick brown will he?
I have no idea what rats will do but I do know Carlisle played on the best back when brown played reserves. As for 3 goals from both forwards you didn’t mention they kicked only 3 out of 16 and 17. Hardly earth shattering considering how we got smashed around the ground.

snake is great 1v1, an absolute asset, the weak of mind get caught into the trap of thinking because he can intercept mark he can't defend well. It's painful. Im in pain. fully.
You have to laugh , our team has very few older experienced players with Geary , Brown and Armitage all on there last legs , with Roberton unlikely to play again and Steven apparently is being sold off.

Then we get to our next bunch of guys who are around the 28 to 27 mark Hannebery 28 , Carlisle 27 , Savage 28, Bruce 27 and now people are wanting to put Carlisle on the market leaving us the only team not having a guy older than 28 in the team.

No matter what anyone says about Carlisle he is one of the best players we have and him even to get back to play this year after a back operation in a miracle ,
we saw last Sunday he was hardly seen the first 3 quarters and then in the last quarter he was just about impassable down back when we needed him to stand up.

We get him fit next year and the team firing he could easily become a All Australian , also currently Carlisle 2.01m is the only guy we have over 2.00m apart from Max King 2.03m and Marshall 2.01m.
with have Longer 2.02m , Pierce 2.03m but there futures look bleak.

So losing Carlisle would be massive knowing we wouldn't have anyone to play on the the big guy in the forward line.
Brown has done a mighty job , but the time of having 2 slow giants in the back line is just about gone especially when one rarely marks or kicks the ball.

I'm pretty sure in the future we will fill the other key position with one of the guys who are around Browns 1.96m height but are capable of taking the game on and with the likes of Wilkie 1.91m , Battle 1.93m , Marsh 1.94m , Clavarino 1.95m , Austin 1.96m and Joyce 1.94m all mobile and tall.

Pick 2?
Or is it just about Webster?
Webster is probably only worth a mid-second rounder on the open market, maybe less because of his injury history. That value doesn't get you anything within the top 10.

Plus since Gold Coast is going to have pick 1 and potentially pick 2 as well, Tassie boy Webster would be the last guy to agree to move up to the Gold Coast.

Agreed- it wouldn't be a move made flippantly or without a decent amount of risk attached to it.
But premierships aren't won avoiding risk-
I can't think of a flag that hasn't been won without taking high risk/high reward chances in assembling a best 22.

But if you subscribe to the theory that both jake and josh are both potential AA, intercept marking, loose chb's who can't replicate that elite level in another spot-
having an understudy setup for the next 3-4 years till jake passes the baton is a luxury we can't afford when we have dire needs elsewhere.

I'm not advocating a josh battle firesale, simply posing questions about how we go about creating a best 22 that can win a flag in the next few years.

Agree with all that, but....
I’m just concerned we trade Battle and then JC’s back gives in and we’ve lost both.

I’m very reluctant to trade Battle when we’ve plucked what will be an elite player pretty much out of nowhere.

Maybe if we can keep it as is for next season and get some games into King, we could have a King, Membrey, Battle forward line by trading Brucey at the end of 2020?

It’s a real conundrum.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So paying someone 800k a year to play 3 games isn’t a disaster? You’d be happy with him playing 3 games next year?
Funny that those other guys are disasters yet they have had more output than Hannebery, talk about rose coloured glasses.

Obviously hasnt been ideal (so far, and dealing with an apparently wreckd body) but he's superior to Gibbs assuming health next year imo. Beams I would class as about equal to hannebery with both of them mostly healthy and on the park. The key point is that Hannebery only cost a list spot (nothing), less than a pick in the 20s (no big deal compared to ~1.5 first round picks), and the salary is also a non factor, based on what has been hinted about the cap situation and how much each year is weighted. Who else would the 800k go to? I would guess bonuses to contracted players and getting Logan Austin types instead. It was basically a free hit compared to those other deals. If it works, it's a big win, if it doesn't, it's a minor hiccup in the scheme of things. Pies and Adelaide were and are counting on those guys to be important players after what they paid

slightly unrelated, i have said it before but the AFL need to significantly drop the salary floor, 17 win teams earning 5% more than 3 win teams is ridiculous. Bottom clubs need more room to bet on themselves like what was done a bit with the Hannebery trade.

I don't see how the 4 talls can play together in the backline without making us hopelessly immobile. Rather than play Battle on the wing when Brown plays, we should play him forward. Otherwise I suppose you could just rotate the 4 of them through the bench so there's only ever 3 of them back there at once. Seeing Battle nail that goal last week made me want him playing forward though.
Who are the 4 talls?

Battle, Carlisle and Brown. A lot of teams have 3 tall backs, we only have to play Brown when needed.

I'm presuming the 4th tall is Wilkie? He is 190cm and is not a key defender, in fact he gets found out when playing on key forwards.

There is no need to pigeonhole Battle either as a defender or forward at his age!
And there is certainly no need whatsoever to entertain trading him!

He's a beauty and delightfully one of those rare players that wherever you play him
He can be a big asset! We should just thank our lucky stars we got one completely right!
An absolute steal at pick 39 as Shifter predicted on the day he was!

Yup he’s a beauty. Close to untradeable.
If you invested a top 10 pick on him you’d be saying how good our recruitment is. The fact we got him for 39 is insane.

Swings and round abouts. What you gain with the very occasional stop of a goal you lose with run and mobility
Heard Spud Frawley make a comment about Brown on the radio when he was caught on his no preferred and was unable to kick it and was tackled resulting in a goal 5m out early on in the season , basically saying you need someone who can kick.

Yup he’s a beauty. Close to untradeable.
If you invested a top 10 pick on him you’d be saying how good our recruitment is. The fact we got him for 39 is insane.
correct , a guy who is 20 and has played as a key defender just about all year are rare and the way he is developing he could well become a Rance

Brown doesn’t even take the #1 key forward half the time, smart sides isolate him with a quick small when he’s playing the goal keeper role... like Collingwood did with Stephenson.

Time to move on from him, I hope we’re looking at a cheap replacement like a Hartley or Leslie as insurance going forward.

Agreed- it wouldn't be a move made flippantly or without a decent amount of risk attached to it.
But premierships aren't won avoiding risk-
I can't think of a flag that hasn't been won without taking high risk/high reward chances in assembling a best 22.

But if you subscribe to the theory that both jake and josh are both potential AA, intercept marking, loose chb's who can't replicate that elite level in another spot-
having an understudy setup for the next 3-4 years till jake passes the baton is a luxury we can't afford when we have dire needs elsewhere.

I'm not advocating a josh battle firesale, simply posing questions about how we go about creating a best 22 that can win a flag in the next few years.[/QUOTE]I want to sell Ross, Stuv and Bruce, you want to sell Josh Battle, got a feeling both our heads are going to be on neighbouring sticks in the next few years, comrade.

Chris judd got them josh kennedy.
That worked out alright for them.

Sure that was a change forced upon them- but just goes to show you that losing young guns isn't instantly and always a bad thing if you gain bigtime in other areas of need in return.
How did Tigers get Prestia and Caddy? Just asking, not making a point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back