List Mgmt. 2019 Trade Thread - Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 6, 2009
AFL Club
St Kilda
Of course Carlisle will play chb if brown comes in because brown can only play full back. If brown does come it’s because Carlton have 3 tall forwards. That doesn’t mean brown is preferred at full back. It means that’s the only spot he can play.

Ok so the week after against sydney with reid and blakey as the only talls you fully expect brown not to play?

It's not a conundrum, you don't trade your most promising young players. We are not at a point where we have mountains of quality depth that we can just trade away. Battle can play tall or small and at either end.

We are at a rebuild point where we are still sorting through talent and have lots of kids on the list. We are probably the youngest side in the comp next year. We won't get better swapping players for players for more than a minute. Battle might get you a Constable type who is a promising kid or maybe a mid at the end at a club that needs to rebuild.

I would prefer to draft a Constable than swap out Battle or wait for Hunter to play mid. Older mids will be past it before the rest of our kids develop. We just have to be patient now, we blew the early years of the rebuild and we have started to get it right the last 3. Hold your nerve and wait until we develop the talent we have.

I fully agree. Maybe read my post again.
I definitely don’t want to trade out Battle. Nor Jake. Nor Bruce.

Oct 29, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
According to a well respected Carlton supporter Wines wants out of Port. Apparently North are ‘sniffing’ around. For a reliability test he has also said Teague will be appointed Carlton coach on Thursday before it had broke this afternoon.
We should be going really hard. Need one more big body in our midfield. Upgrade on Dunstan with all due respect to him

Indie Rock

Club Legend
Apr 2, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
Did the tried and tested trade value equation for Hill:

Trade Value = (Club A Bigfooty valuation + Club B Bigfooty valuation) / 2

Freo board seems to think it’s 2 first rounders or a high first with something else going back (fact he is contracted boosts price a bit).

Saints board seems to think mid to late first rounder perhaps with change coming back.

So that means the actual trade will be around our first pick I reckon, pick 5-7 prob gets it done.

If a player of Hill’s caliber actually nominates us, we make sure we get it done.

Which means if we want to add more players from other clubs, we are trading out current best 22 players.

Brown doesn’t even take the #1 key forward half the time, smart sides isolate him with a quick small when he’s playing the goal keeper role... like Collingwood did with Stephenson.

Time to move on from him, I hope we’re looking at a cheap replacement like a Hartley or Leslie as insurance going forward.

What about Marsh or Joyce?

WhiskySaint

All Australian
Nov 23, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
Jake can't play as a loose intercept defender from FB.

(Not even mcgovern does that- barass plays FB.)

Jake can't do what he does best from FB.
(Except in super rare cases like last week when we play against midget forward lines. Even then- jake was only able to really influence the game in the last qtr when he was moved from full back to chb.)

Jake can't play his attacking best football while also keeping guys like mckay, hawkins, lynch, cox, brown, daniher, bing etc quiet and/or accountable at FB.
That isn't a knock on jake- it's a limitation of what is possible.

Every great game jake has ever played has been from chb.
It is a total failure of logic to transplant what he can do there into what it's possible for him to do at FB.

That's why I predict we will see brown come in this week at FB, jake will play his best position as a loose intercept chb and battle will have to fit somewhere else.

If that happen's at selection- there's your issue:

Ratts (like richo for years before him) doesn't rate jake at FB ahead of an unspectacular role player like brown.
Jake just needs to play his role. You’re right he can’t play his best football from FB, but he in combination with Battle and Wilkie can have the best combined impact on the game.

It’s all about playing a role and jake can do the FB role well.

May 6, 2009
AFL Club
St Kilda
Jake just needs to play his role. You’re right he can’t play his best football from FB, but he in combination with Battle and Wilkie can have the best combined impact on the game.

It’s all about playing a role and jake can do the FB role well.

Seems wasteful to consign a potential mcgovern/ AA level intercept defender to role player at FB.

All the more so when I believe that despite his height- there is plenty of evidence over the years to suggest jake isn't well suited to playing FB man on man against the number 1 tall fwd because he is moved off the ball quite easily.

Seems like a lose lose for the team-
1. we lose jake being elite at CHB (granted that battle could do a decent imitaton of jakes best at chb- as he did for the first half of the year)
2. (If you agree with me that jake isn't that flash in contested man on man) we lose by jake being a lesser quality fb than say brown.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Premium

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 8, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
Seems wasteful to consign a potential mcgovern/ AA level intercept defender to role player at FB.

All the more so when I believe that despite his height- there is plenty of evidence over the years to suggest jake isn't well suited to playing FB man on man against the number 1 tall fwd because he is moved off the ball quite easily.

1. we lose jake being elite at CHB (granted that battle could do a decent imitaton of jakes best at chb- as he did for the first half of the year)
2. (If you agree with me that jake isn't that flash in contested man on man) we lose by jake being a lesser quality fb than say brown.
Steadier ffs pick another topic

mightymalaka

What we have here is a failure to communicate!
May 7, 2018
Road to Nowhere
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Manchester United
It’s a good question... they’re certainly worth a better look at, I really liked Austin’s games too but he’s fallen off the face of the earth and was far too offensive for chos liking.
Not just for Richo's liking! You can add me to that list!
That's one call Richo got right! Yeah Logan's Run was able to get the footy ok
But he was far too loose as a defender!

If Wines is on the market we might just have a chance , pretty sure Lade would gave him a call.
Wines is a beast and can bust through packs and open up play , with Wines and Steele battering teams will be good to watch.
We just need some speed now.

He’d be such a good get we wouldn’t need Coniglio anymore 😉

WhiskySaint

All Australian
Nov 23, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda

I guess we disagree on Jakes ability to play FB. I’ve liked him there and think Battle needs to stay at CHB as that’s his go (IMO) for the next 10 years.
I like Wilkie.

It would be interesting to see if Jake could do Wilkie role, but I suspect Wilkie is better in the smaller players.

Happy for Brown to come in, I just don’t want 4 talls (as I think we have looked shocking when we have gone that way) and Battle to be played at CHB.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back