2019 Trade thread

Surly Boy

Club Legend
Jan 7, 2011
Brisneyland
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

"Gold Coast is chasing Brisbane's pick No.21 in exchange for speedy defender Callum Ah Chee."

"But there remains a gap between the parties, with the Suns wanting the Lions' early second-round pick for the 22-year-old.
Brisbane, however, has so far offered its later second-round pick – No.34 – to land Ah Chee."

CarterS

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 14, 2001
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Lions

"Gold Coast is chasing Brisbane's pick No.21 in exchange for speedy defender Callum Ah Chee."

"But there remains a gap between the parties, with the Suns wanting the Lions' early second-round pick for the 22-year-old.
Brisbane, however, has so far offered its later second-round pick – No.34 – to land Ah Chee."

Not too far apart, will get done pretty soon you'd think. Is he worth 21?

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Update on AFL.com.au says we are haggling with the Suns over which pick to trade.

They want 21 (which was originally theirs) but we have offered 34. Sounds like they've finally found their backbone after being reamed last year

It’ll be interesting to see what the compromise is. Maybe involve future picks.

Oct 13, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Not too far apart, will get done pretty soon you'd think. Is he worth 21?

Nup. Langdon will get traded for a pick in the early 20s, Ah Chee isn't close to his value. I'd be stunned if we traded 21 for Ah Chee given that we'll lose the ability to manoeuvre up the draft order with our first two selections.

I think 34 is spot on/slightly generous. Maybe we can do some other swaps to facilitate it.

Fagenslions36

All Australian
Jun 14, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Update on AFL.com.au says we are haggling with the Suns over which pick to trade.

They want 21 (which was originally theirs) but we have offered 34. Sounds like they've finally found their backbone after being reamed last year
Tell them to rack off . What a joke been hand gifted picks to the detriment of the competition and they trying to haggle us over a player who has been riddled with injury.

BangyBangy

BangyBangyMightyLoins
Oct 16, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Nup. Langdon will get traded for a pick in the early 20s, Ah Chee isn't close to his value. I'd be stunned if we traded 21 for Ah Chee given that we'll lose the ability to manoeuvre up the draft order with our first two selections.

I think 34 is spot on/slightly generous. Maybe we can do some other swaps to facilitate it.

Pick 21 & Basti for Ah Chee & Pick 2?

Or should we push for Pick 1?

Nov 11, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Tell them to rack off . What a joke been hand gifted picks to the detriment of the competition and they trying to haggle us over a player who has been riddled with injury.

Hardly a joke trying to maximise their return for a talented young player. They need to take a bit of a stand and get as much value as possible for any player departing. We’ll probably offer them some sort of pick swap to get it OTL.

Probably good for QLD footy that the Suns don't just roll over anymore at the trade table.

I'd be turning 16 and 21 into a higher pick somehow to put an end to the conversation and offer 34+change. No need to give up that much for an uncontracted player.

If it comes down to it though I think Noble has a history of overpaying a bit to secure a player so wouldn't be that shocked if we gave the pick up to end the stalemate.

lioninthesand

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 22, 2016
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Would like to see Birchall actually come in for Witherden, I understand everyone says but Witherden is 21. Until he gets faster I'd like to see Birchall kicking the ball instead of Witherden. Hodgeys replacement can see it being someone quick maybe Cedric Cox or hopefully Brodie Smith still finds his way to Brisbane. Then Back 6 next year:
Gardiner, Andrews, Adams, Rich, Birchall & Cox/Smith.
I'll just say it if it is Smith in that 6 it becomes a premiership worthy back 6.

He won't get faster, that doesen't happen.

BangyBangy

BangyBangyMightyLoins
Oct 16, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Probably good for QLD footy that the Suns don't just roll over anymore at the trade table.

I'd be turning 16 and 21 into a higher pick somehow to put an end to the conversation and offer 34+change. No need to give up that much for an uncontracted player.

If it comes down to it though I think Noble has a history of overpaying a bit to secure a player so wouldn't be that shocked if we gave the pick up to end the stalemate.

Can't see why we'd pay a premium for player out of contract though. Other players we've brought have been still under contract haven't they? No need going over what you think is a fair price in this scenario. If you think 34 is fair, then by all means grease the wheels with a bit more to get it done, but can't see 21 being anywhere near the ballpark of his current value all things being considered.

Apr 4, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
You can get faster. But not by much lol. Not the same way you can improve your tank & repeat effort endurance.
Actual pace is overrated unless you have a few other skills to go with it . Not much good being really quick if you've got no hand and foot skills. Or any anticipation. We've had a few really quick players ,the Shermanator ,the little redhead who Green replaced , but if you can't back up your pace with some other qualities then you become a liability.

As far as Witherden goes as people say he'll never really get much quicker ,but his decision making ,anticipation of where the ball's going, his disposal and penetration with disposal ,and particularly his strength in a contest can all be improved markedly with more work.

There have been many champions across all eras who couldn't run out of sight on a foggy night but are able to keep getting the ball and be really damaging with it ,like a Greg Williams.

lioninthesand

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 22, 2016
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
You can get faster. But not by much lol. Not the same way you can improve your tank & repeat effort endurance.

Yeah that one instance of a far quicker player burning him off is going to haunt him for the rest of his career.

This is how I view Witho.

Let's say most draftees in his draft pick range amd type come in at a 3/10.

Witho burst on the scene as a 5/10 (caught us all off gaurd)

Most third year players would have worked up to his responsibility and output by now and you would be saying 'they are tracking nicely'.

Witho came in at 5 and is still a 5 - so we got way more than anyone expected to now, just ahead of time.

But because he isn't a 7 yet, which he shouldn't be, people are getting cranky.

He can still become a 7 or 8 - he is just developing differently. He is being marked like a 100 game player.

We need to chill. He has a high footy IQ, lovely skills is a passionate loyal Lion and is only just getting started.

Can't see why we'd pay a premium for player out of contract though. Other players we've brought have been still under contract haven't they? No need going over what you think is a fair price in this scenario. If you think 34 is fair, then by all means grease the wheels with a bit more to get it done, but can't see 21 being anywhere near the ballpark of his current value all things being considered.

If the options are paying overs or ******* around in the draft I can see us paying overs.

Apr 4, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Yeah that one instance of a far quicker player burning him off is going to haunt him for the rest of his career.

This is how I view Witho.

Let's say most draftees in his draft pick range amd type come in at a 3/10.

Witho burst on the scene as a 5/10 (caught us all off gaurd)

Most third year players would have worked up to his responsibility and output by now and you would be saying 'they are tracking nicely'.

Witho came in at 5 and is still a 5 - so we got way more than anyone expected to now, just ahead of time.

But because he isn't a 7 yet, which he shouldn't be, people are getting cranky.

He can still become a 7 or 8 - he is just developing differently. He is being marked like a 100 game player.

We need to chill. He has a high footy IQ, lovely skills is a passionate loyal Lion and is only just getting started.
I think that's right . Because he's not that big or imposing physically ,and not that quick , and doesn't stand out with a big speccy or a dash off half back people presume that he's never going to be a star. But he has the nous to make it as many players with a similar physical makeup and a focused mindset have.

BangyBangy

BangyBangyMightyLoins
Oct 16, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Actual pace is overrated unless you have a few other skills to go with it . Not much good being really quick if you've got no hand and foot skills. Or any anticipation. We've had a few really quick players ,the Shermanator ,the little redhead who Green replaced , but if you can't back up your pace with some other qualities then you become a liability.

As far as Witherden goes as people say he'll never really get much quicker ,but his decision making ,anticipation of where the ball's going, his disposal and penetration with disposal ,and particularly his strength in a contest can all be improved markedly with more work.

There have been many champions across all eras who couldn't run out of sight on a foggy night but are able to keep getting the ball and be really damaging with it ,like a Greg Williams.

I agree with everything you have said here. Did my post come across as having a dig at Witho? That wasn't my intention, I don't pot any of our players, especially Witho, love him to bits. Just the fact that improving sprint performance is a very hard thing to do.

Back