2019 Trade thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Is Lewy Taylor worth anything less than AhChee?
On exposed form, I would think that Lewy’s value should be higher than AhChee so maybe we wait to see what we can get from Sydney before committing to a figure on AhChee?
If Sydney get 31 from The Bombers as part of the deal for Daniher then maybe they can on trade that to us? Or they currently have 25?
Either way, I don’t think we will pay 21 for AhChee but we may need to come up with something just a little better than 34?

Yeah ,what I meant by that is that he as yet hasn't learn how to use it and inject physicality into his game on what I've seen but I didn't see many of the NEAFL games in full. But I guess it'll come.
you can watch any of them on Youtube they are all live now on NEAFL TV, some don't have any commentary but most of the Lions do given their performances this year.

Dodongo read we can because we didn't know what the pick was going to be and/or prority picks have changed its position.
I find our system a bit of a laughing stock really. It’s done ‘on the fly’ as who is going to know in a years time if future picks will be used again with the same team. It’s an absolute joke. Don’t even get me started on St Kilda openly coming out and saying we are targeting Ben King and have been communication with him already. There needs to be some solid anti-tampering rules especially if their not going to grow some balls and extend new draftees contract length at least out to 3 years. I love our game and club but feel the competition is run by a pack of monkeys.

Is AhChee comfortably in the GC's 22? Who would be push out in ours now we have Grant from Hawthorn

Am I the only one a bit concerned with how nonchalantly we seem to be letting go of our newly found depth?

Bastinac for starters.
The bloke has 164 games xp, played in 4 finals. Great depth. Noble cited the fact that inexperience in finals was a big consideration in taking Birchall.
What if Lyons or McCluggage goes down late in the year? Are Corey Lyons and Starcevich going to come in and play at the level Bastinac could under finals pressure? Why not hold onto him for 2 more years on the rookie list? Costs us nothing.

Christensen. We’re going to delist a fringe 22 player at prime age, with 9 games of finals xp, going into a potential flag window, just to get one more pick in the draft (pick 60+ probably).

Lewis Taylor, Robertson and Cutler as well. I know Cutler cited a family reason to move back to Vic, but let’s be fair - he wants to get on the park and doesn’t think we offered enough. Now they’ve put their name on the market they may have received a reality check as to what they’re worth. If Sydney/Essendon/Fremantle are offering them 150k contracts and a pick 60 trade - let’s match that contract and ask them to stay here.

We need to put our premiership 2020 caps on. Pick 55, 91 and 109 is not going to deliver a flag in this window, or the next.

Having decent quality, mature aged, experienced depth will.

Am I the only one a bit concerned with how nonchalantly we seem to be letting go of our newly found depth?

Bastinac for starters.
The bloke has 164 games xp, played in 4 finals. Great depth. Noble cited the fact that inexperience in finals was a big consideration in taking Birchall.
What if Lyons or McCluggage goes down late in the year? Are Corey Lyons and Starcevich going to come in and play at the level Bastinac could under finals pressure? Why not hold onto him for 2 more years on the rookie list? Costs us nothing.

Christensen. We’re going to delist a fringe 22 player at prime age, with 9 games of finals xp, going into a potential flag window, just to get one more pick in the draft (pick 60+ probably).

Lewis Taylor, Robertson and Cutler as well. I know Cutler cited a family reason to move back to Vic, but let’s be fair - he wants to get on the park and doesn’t think we offered enough. Now they’ve put their name on the market they may have received a reality check as to what they’re worth. If Sydney/Essendon/Fremantle are offering them 150k contracts and a pick 60 trade - let’s match that contract and ask them to stay here.

We need to put our premiership 2020 caps on. Pick 55, 91 and 109 is not going to deliver a flag in this window, or the next.

I think basically we had too many players on 400k that couldn’t get a game

I'd like us to offer up pick 21 for Aiden Bonar. Only 20, going to be a gun as an inside-mid. Gws want a pick inside 30 for him. Given we've identified we have a problem with the big inside mids and signed Ellis-Yolmen, can't believe we wouldn't be at least enquiring.
He's had a few issues in the senior games I've seen:
  1. Defensive running has been poor. Sometimes it seems to click but more often he's only going one way.
  2. His engine is a bit lacking.
  3. As a result of those two he's getting pigeonholed into a high forward role which doesn't suit his strengths (body size, quick hands) as more of an inside mid.
I wouldn't mind seeing if we can clean him up but teams picking over GWS's scraps haven't historically had a good return on investment. Their drafting has been questionable but their player development seems solid - if the player looks the goods at GWS (Shiel, Treloar, Adams, Smith, Lobb, Wilson) they will probably keep it up but if they don't chances are they're not going to elsewhere (Jaksch, O'Rourke, etc) and sometimes even if they did look the goods (McCarthy).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bastinac for starters.

It’s part of the cycle you need to draft each year, yes I understand your thinking but you can hang onto these guys to long, it’s a delicate balance. Let’s turn it around who do you let go of instead younger guys without exposure to Seniors yet? that may be a future premiership player in best 22 each week. Each year their is hard luck stories but it’s part of the AFL business you have to take your chance when it’s there.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

He won't get faster, that doesen't happen.
Disagree. Witho spending time with a running coach who can change his running style would make him a better runner for sure. His broken leg just before he was drafted has hampered his running IMO. A coach to help him stop running into the ground rather than on top of the ground would be a huge help.

All of these players requesting trades to St Kilda has raised a few questions in my mind.

1. What's the appeal of going to St Kilda?
2. Why would you want to go to Sk Kilda?
3. Why do these players want to play for St Kilda?
Money. They probably have more cap space and can afford to pay overs.

IMO a player who isn't good enough to crack a premiership window team, will chase the money or closer to family,

Premierships, money and family are all valued differently by players. If you can't get close to choice A you look at B and C.

Y
Disagree. Witho spending time with a running coach who can change his running style would make him a better runner for sure. His broken leg just before he was drafted has hampered his running IMO. A coach to help him stop running into the ground rather than on top of the ground would be a huge help.
Speed is all down to genetic factors number or fast and slow twitch fibres . Witho has too many of the later. Ben Cousins also sought out a running coach when he was very young but he had a bit more genetically to work with then what witho does in my opinion . Does that mean he can’t be a gun player absolutely not but people who think he is going to move into the midfield I think will be disappointed .

Money. They probably have more cap space and can afford to pay overs.

IMO a player who isn't good enough to crack a premiership window team, they will chase the money.

Premierships, money and family are all valued differently by players. If you can't get close to choice A you look at B and C.
Just don’t know how they are going to do all these trades seems impossible . They want to keep next years first for Ben king to

It's worth a try.

All of these players requesting trades to St Kilda has raised a few questions in my mind.

1. What's the appeal of going to St Kilda?
2. Why would you want to go to Sk Kilda?
3. Why do these players want to play for St Kilda?
Gubby is over there now so I'd imagine that the offers are too much for too many years. They'll have a salary cap reckoning in a few years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back