2019 Trade thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Freo's forwards starting to step it up. I wonder if one of their fringe guys like Taberner could be gettable since he'll presumably have Hogan and Lobb ahead of him when he returns from injury. Off contract at the end of the season too I believe.

Freo's forwards starting to step it up. I wonder if one of their fringe guys like Taberner could be gettable since he'll presumably have Hogan and Lobb ahead of him when he returns from injury. Off contract at the end of the season too I believe.

Taberner is as bad or worse than McStay at goal kicking. Maybe a more consistent mark.

On balance I’d rather keep McStay given we wouldn’t have to trade anything for him, though I don’t think Taberner would cost a lot - maybe a late second or early third?

Why would we want Taberner? His best season was 18 goals. He's bloody awful.

Because you can't always get consistent A graders, sometimes you need to get a guy before he breaks out. Especially those who are stuck behind people the a club has invested a lot in and therefore won't be supplanting them anytime soon.

Left field- Would getting an Ed Curnow or Matt De Boer help our midfield?

Both can pretty consistently outplay or break even with the gun midfielders of the game- Bont, Cripps, Neale, Dusty, Clayton Oliver, today Cunnington so far- these are some of the guys they've beaten this year. Any player who can do this consistently should surely be worth $700k+. Fair chance they're on low pay packets as fringe types. Curnow is a free agent. Offer him or De Boer a 2 year deal on good money and see if they bite.

We don't really have anyone to stop the gun mids. Lyons and Berry I'd prefer as ball winners and Robbo should play other roles. I think if you chucked one of them in the middle they'd offer a fair bit more than Lyons or Matho at the moment.

Left field- Would getting an Ed Curnow or Matt De Boer help our midfield?

Both can pretty consistently outplay or break even with the gun midfielders of the game- Bont, Cripps, Neale, Dusty, Clayton Oliver, today Cunnington so far- these are some of the guys they've beaten this year. Any player who can do this consistently should surely be worth $700k+. Fair chance they're on low pay packets as fringe types. Curnow is a free agent. Offer him or De Boer a 2 year deal on good money and see if they bite.

We don't really have anyone to stop the gun mids. Lyons and Berry I'd prefer as ball winners and Robbo should play other roles. I think if you chucked one of them in the middle they'd offer a fair bit more than Lyons or Matho at the moment.

Would rather try Keays as a tagger before trading one in.

Wish we grabbed CEY a few years back.

Still confident there is enough improvent in our forward and back line to not worry about focussing our recruiting there.

Clearances and contested possies still somewhat of a worry.

Speaking of which. CEY gets his own segment on the AFL's six things we learnt about this round article. Out of contract at seasons end & a free agent too.

Is the free agency thing because he was rookie listed or just the usual time spent in the system?

Any time you can pick up a solid player for only cap space its a win.

SEN today were talking about Stephen Coniglio maybe looking to go to a Melbourne club, wouldn't it be a delicious turn up if we trumped the Melbourne clubs and managed to snag Coniglio this off season.

Would he be a bigger get than Lachie Neale was?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

SEN today were talking about Stephen Coniglio maybe looking to go to a Melbourne club, wouldn't it be a delicious turn up if we trumped the Melbourne clubs and managed to snag Coniglio this off season.

He'll be up there in the brownlow this year. Could be a huge get

Bigger in the context that Lachie Neale didn’t really consider anyone else and was either coming to us or staying at Freo.
But to steel Coniglio from under the noses of the big Vic Clubs that will be coming hard for him.
That would be something else!

I would love to get him, but I really hope he stays at GWS.
This.

I really struggle to see any of GWS’s key players leaving to join us. If they were to leave, it would be to head home, or to maximise their earning potential in Victoria.

It might be possible to lure a younger player if we’re offering more senior football than they are currently playing.

This.

I really struggle to see any of GWS’s key players leaving to join us. If they were to leave, it would be to head home, or to maximise their earning potential in Victoria.

It might be possible to lure a younger player if we’re offering more senior football than they are currently playing.
Jye Caldwell?, we rated him very highly apparently.

Caldwell was mentioned earlier but l was reading this from GWS website.

An exciting midfielder, Jye Caldwell joined the GIANTS from the Bendigo Pioneers with the club’s first pick (11th overall) in the 2018 NAB AFL Draft. Powerful, explosive and damaging, Caldwell is an excitement machine around stoppages. He represented Victoria Country at the 2018 NAB Under-18 National Championships and was also a talented junior basketballer, cricketer and boxer, claiming a junior Victorian boxing title.

A gifted midfielder with quality foot skills on both sides of his body, Caldwell looks a star of the future. He had some injury issues last year, but it wasn’t enough to scare away the GIANTS, who took him with their first pick at the 2018 NAB AFL Draft. Caldwell is a strong-bodied on-baller who can explode away from clearance situations, but also has the vision to use his hands to win the ball and distribute it to teammates at stoppages.

Hasn't played a senior game, would presumably be stuck behind heaps of players. Maybe we could entice him with senior opportunities and a slightly higher pay package?

GWS wouldn't want our 1st pick (Collingwoods l think it is) or maybe Collingwoods + GC round 2 pick (~pick20)?

Edit: beaten by jason pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Back