2019 Trade thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm thinking more a 70% forward 30% ruck role which McStay and Hippy don't and shouldn't do.

It is worth noting that McStay did do a lot of ruck work in our forward 50 against West Coast (gave away a couple of frees in those ruck contests too). Not sure if it is strategy or just the way it worked out, but I'd hope Dan won't go into centre bounce ruck contests either.

It is worth noting that McStay did do a lot of ruck work in our forward 50 against West Coast (gave away a couple of frees in those ruck contests too). Not sure if it is strategy or just the way it worked out, but I'd hope Dan won't go into centre bounce ruck contests either.
I think that was purely due to McInerney and Martin rotating only through the middle of the ground and not having one of them resting forward. Agree though, would hate to see him at the centre bounce!

Ainsworth was not a Lions fan. But he did say in his draft year that he’d like to come to Brisbane, as he already had ties with the Vic Country boys we drafted the year before.

But he’s fully invested in GC. He’s one of the younger guys that verbally went Lynch when Lynch told the playing group he was leaving. Ainsworth and Bowes are very much the young leaders in their club.

His family have moved to GC, so there’s no go home factor with Ainsworth either.

Ainsworth was a tigers fan - makes the serve at Lynch even better.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

If the Suns can fix their retention issues, they could still build a very good side. Everything Ainsworth has done and said since he's been at the Suns screams that he is a loyal and committed clubman. If the likes of Lukosius, Rankine and the other King boy follow his example and stick fat they really can go far.

In hindsight, Ainsworth would have been a far better proposition for us at Pick 2 than the ultimately disappointing Josh Schache.

If the Suns can fix their retention issues, they could still build a very good side. Everything Ainsworth has done and said since he's been at the Suns screams that he is a loyal and committed clubman. If the likes of Lukosius, Rankine and the other King boy follow his example and stick fat they really can go far.

In hindsight, Ainsworth would have been a far better proposition for us at Pick 2 than the ultimately disappointing Josh Schache.

Would you rather Ainsworth or Bailey though?

Both will be guns imo

Both will be guns imo

I mean it could have been Ainsworth, Bailey or Starcevich. Bailey could have fallen to 18.

I love Bailey but Ainsworth was a top pick for a reason. I don’t think Bailey would be doing better than him if he was at the Gold Coast instead. Who knows, was it Oliver who also was in that draft that was an actual Lions fan? He would have really closed a gap for us in contested footy over the paddy two seasons. Take Oliver over Bailey any day of the week.

There’s been a trend of players who have requested to come over in the past couple years. Who do you believe (or somewhat hope) will request a trade over this year?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Not going to happens: Stephenson, Walsh, Alir Alir (probs spelt that wrong), Kelly, Elliot

Possible (still have some way to go before we get the big to medium names requesting trades):
Some player that Fagan rates that we’ve never looked at before.

Not taking the piss with the possibles, but Neale was a one off thing for now, don’t expect to get guys requesting to be here depending on how the season goes. Adams, Lyons and McCarthy will be/have been good though.

I mean it could have been Ainsworth, Bailey or Starcevich. Bailey could have fallen to 18.

I love Bailey but Ainsworth was a top pick for a reason. I don’t think Bailey would be doing better than him if he was at the Gold Coast instead. Who knows, was it Oliver who also was in that draft that was an actual Lions fan? He would have really closed a gap for us in contested footy over the paddy two seasons. Take Oliver over Bailey any day of the week.

Stephenson also a Lions fan I believe

Ainsworth was drafted a year later - we picked McCluggage at 3 ahead of him going to gold coast at 4.

What? Oliver was drafted in 2015, Ainsworth was 2016, and Bailey and Starce were 2017. 3 different drafts so not comparable at all lol

Both will be guns imo

Sorry mate.

I don't get this comparison.

Schache kind of seduced us with that line about "it would be nice to play at the same club as Dad(the late Laurence Schache)"

The irony of that draft is that there were pundits openly ridiculing us for beating the Bulldogs in the last round of 2015, so that instead if Pick 1 , we got Pick 2.

There was a school of thought that Carlton may have snatched our "prize" Josh Schache from under our noses and I can recall a collective sigh of relief when they took Weitering at Pick 1

As a further twist, it's kind of weird that Weitering has been nearly as underwhelming for the Blues, as Schache was for us and continues to be for the Dogs

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oops.!

I should never rely on memory:$

It is confusing as he did play in the Vic Country team as a bottom ager the year Schache broke the goals record at the championships - I remember watching him kick 4ish as a small forward.

The Schache pick is really the only draft misstep we've made in 5 years (Aish the last one before that) and its a shame. For whatever reason he struggled up here and his footy has not developed at all since his first season. I don't think we helped him by rushing him out there so quickly and hyping him up so much that year - way too much pressure.

He may never have made it for us anyway as he really lacks competitiveness but I have no doubt that we didn't do the right things for his development.

It is confusing as he did play in the Vic Country team as a bottom ager the year Schache broke the goals record at the championships - I remember watching him kick 4ish as a small forward.

The Schache pick is really the only draft misstep we've made in 5 years (Aish the last one before that) and its a shame. For whatever reason he struggled up here and his footy has not developed at all since his first season. I don't think we helped him by rushing him out there so quickly and hyping him up so much that year - way too much pressure.

He may never have made it for us anyway as he really lacks competitiveness but I have no doubt that we didn't do the right things for his development.

I remember Leppa having this big announcement about picking him in the Round 1 game against the Eagles in Perth and him being filmed on the Lions website calling him "mate",

I felt uncomfortable about that big hype up and yes, it should have been recognized that putting that sort of pressure on an essentially immature boy wasn't the way to go.

The gung-ho Leppa probably wasn't what a shy and insecure type like Schache needed, just like poor old Jack Watts didn't need being trotted out like the great white hope against Colliingwood on that Queens Birthday game all those years ago,

I can't help wondering how much better a father figure like Fages would have handled guys like Schache and Watts.

Huh? They were different drafts. We took Hugh over Ainsworth. We might have taken Oliver than Schache, but there was too much that lined up in the draft for us to take anyone else. But gee that 2016 draft crop is pretty underwhelming all over the place. Not many stars of future stars in that lot.

Edit: oops, didn’t scroll down and see this was already addressed. Apologies...

Not sure I’ve seen the same reports about Ballenden. Seems timid like Freeman. He looks good presenting at the ball carrier but I haven’t seen what others are getting excited about.

Has hardly any mongrel about him at all.

Clarification: I was referring to 2MP

Last edited:
I think taking a KPP with a high draft pick generally has a lower chance of working out, compared to midfielders and wingmen
KPPs are higher risk generally, not just with high draft picks. Ideally, you trade for them and use your picks on mids etc. In reality, you have to draft them and hope for the best.

Our two KPFs were drafted with pick 14 and 25. It would be interesting to see how this compares to other clubs - eg West Coast has a pick 4 and 27, Richmond has a pick 11 and 13, IIRC.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back