irish

Premiership Player
Sep 20, 2002
hobart
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NHFC demons & SH/SB sharks
Ok that's good news , old hawk mate of mine mentioned it , yes Patton seems a done deal

jjami15

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 16, 2011
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

Tidwell is the Lions list, Jerry is Fagan, Bob Sugar are the other AFL coaches and that other guy.......he’s all those players who are now looking......you know they are, oh yes!

CarterS

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 14, 2001
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Lions
What would it take to get Charlie's brother over here? Looks like a chip off the old block doesn't he? Probably too much but that is understandable on WC's part. :'(

Imagine seeing those 2 in the same forward line o_O

jjami15

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 16, 2011
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
What would it take to get Charlie's brother over here? Looks like a chip off the old block doesn't he? Probably too much but that is understandable on WC's part. :'(

Imagine seeing those 2 in the same forward line o_O
IF and that’s a big IF we could pry him out it would take plenty IMO. The real issue is that he was tied to them as NGA but played at Swan Districts and would love to know how much they actually had to do with him in the first place. If it was similar to the NBA and NFL I would trade for him and Allen and give them our first (Pies) and second (Suns) which could help facilitate their quest to get Tim Kelly.

Oct 20, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
IF and that’s a big IF we could pry him out it would take plenty IMO. The real issue is that he was tied to them as NGA but played at Swan Districts and would love to know how much they actually had to do with him in the first place. If it was similar to the NBA and NFL I would trade for him and Allen and give them our first (Pies) and second (Suns) which could help facilitate their quest to get Tim Kelly.
Lol dude has played 2 games. Calm your farm on giving up that much for him and allen

jjami15

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 16, 2011
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Lol dude has played 2 games. Calm your farm on giving up that much for him and allen
Overs? Yep, but that’s what it would take IMO. Allen I highly rate and was one I wish we drafted and we were interested but WC jumped us. Both are young and add to our side. In regards to Jarrod we have his brother and can see what he can eventuate to and he also showed at the nationals that he has some serious talent. Sometimes you have to pay overs and understand how it might help the seller.

Oct 20, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Overs? Yep, but that’s what it would take IMO. Allen I highly rate and was one I wish we drafted and we were interested but WC jumped us. Both are young and add to our side. In regards to Jarrod we have his brother and can see what he can eventuate to and he also showed at the nationals that he has some serious talent. Sometimes you have to pay overs and understand how it might help the seller.

West Coast didn't jump us for Allen, we took starc and Bailey over him when we had two picks in the teens.

We already have Wooler who plays a similar role to him why would we need him??

we aren't in dire need for a player like Jarrod that we play overs when he is so underproven?

We've had alot of success with trades recently doesn't mean we get trigger happy and just go after players willy nilly especially when unproven

Oct 13, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Yeah as I mentioned elsewhere I'd wait a couple of years to see how he develops, then try and poach him. Does he have any connections to Qld/Brisbane like Charlie?

Not particularly though I’m just going by media reports. Charlie has said in interviews that Jarrod was very happy to stay in Perth as he has mates there.

Charlie was a lot older when he lived in Queensland and boarded in Brisbane so it wouldn’t shock me if Jarrod has minimal connections other than his brother.

The Bear

All Australian
May 18, 2007
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Why can't we do a deal with Gold Coast this year. They need mature players to protect their kids and stiffen them up. We need some quality youngsters. Give them Keays, Eagles, Cutler, Basti for a couple of young fellas we can develop. Not looking for early draft pics, just quality kids that our recruiters can run their eyes over and cherry pick based on our values.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
Why can't we do a deal with Gold Coast this year. They need mature players to protect their kids and stiffen them up. We need some quality youngsters. Give them Keays, Eagles, Cutler, Basti for a couple of young fellas we can develop. Not looking for early draft pics, just quality kids that our recruiters can run their eyes over and cherry pick based on our values.
Gold Coast either have top end kids, or kids that aren't likely to make it, plus the two rookie kids they picked up in the SSP and Mid Season rookie draft.

They aren't giving us any kids for our casts offs.

What Gold Coast need is A grade mids and their own version of Hodge in the back line. They traded in a heap of other teams cast offs and VFL talent last off season, they don't need more from us.

Last edited:

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
West Coast didn't jump us for Allen, we took starc and Bailey over him when we had two picks in the teens.

We already have Wooler who plays a similar role to him why would we need him??

we aren't in dire need for a player like Jarrod that we play overs when he is so underproven?

We've had alot of success with trades recently doesn't mean we get trigger happy and just go after players willy nilly especially when unproven
We should have taken Allen ahead of Starcevich.

I know people here like Wooller as he's one of our own draftees, but Allen is a definite upgrade of Wooller. Long term I'd have Allen ahead of McStay. Allen already plays smarter, runs genuine patterns, leads in to space and is very good mark.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Ha, I had the same thought today, but didn't think to include Allen as well.

I was thinking the Gold Coast pick for Jarrod Cameron. When you look at the small and medium forwards in this years draft, Cameron is worth the Gold Coast pick.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
Sounds good, Keays, Eagles, Cutler, Basti in a straight swap for Ben Ainsworth, Izak Rankine and Jack Lukosius it is then.

Seriously though there is not much I like the look of on the Suns list who we could develop, apart from maybe Will Brodie who was highly rated in his draft year but has stagnated.

Oct 20, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
We should have taken Allen ahead of Starcevich.

I know people here like Wooller as he's one of our own draftees, but Allen is a definite upgrade of Wooller. Long term I'd have Allen ahead of McStay. Allen already plays smarter, runs genuine patterns, leads in to space and is very good mark.

haha, if we are talking should haves...it should have been Tim Kelly

CarterS

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 14, 2001
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Lions
Surely some decent players around the competition would be putting their hand up to be willing to come up here, now we are going good? Any speculation around?
Jamie Elliott... is a free agent...

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Surely some decent players around the competition would be putting their hand up to be willing to come up here, now we are going good? Any speculation around?
GWS are "good" and they keep losing top players each year.

I believe some people over estimate the attractiveness of "good" teams are to players, especially when we're out of the footy heartland.

We probably have to target players like Neale, McCarthy, etc, where being out of the spotlight is a selling point.

GWS are "good" and they keep losing top players each year.

I believe some people over estimate the attractiveness of "good" teams are to players, especially when we're out of the footy heartland.

We probably have to target players like Neale, McCarthy, etc, where being out of the spotlight is a selling point.

GWS do tend to only lose the players they want to (well, not that they want to lose players but they generally keep the ones they prioritise) on generous terms, i.e. they prioritised Shiel over Treloar (first time around), Kelly and Coniglio over Shiel, midfield players over Devon Smith, etc. Lobb and McCarthy are probably the main two I think they wanted to retain but couldn't. It's an internal ranking thing for them.

Sydney is obviously another example where they do lose players they want to keep, but they keep losses minimal.

With our list profile, standing in the comp and the draft assets we hold I'd much prefer us to focus on the trade period this year than the draft this year. Target some young-ish potential guns that haven't quite had the chance to shine yet for various reasons.

Offer something appealing enough to GWS that they'll let go of Caldwell early, Brodie out of contract and favour at the Suns at represents good value as depth/potential and Nakia Cockatoo is a player we've been linked to quite a few times (though no idea how reliable any of that has really been) that would likely be desperate for a fresh start. Loooong history of injury issues and I've got doubts he'll ever be able to get his body right but if any club represents an appealing destination to help with those issues surely we're presently at the forefront.

edit: I was convinced Brodie was out of contract, he is not. Definitely out of favour so would come with a discount but not the value pick I was thinking. Still very much worth a look though imo.

Last edited:

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
I like Jamie Elliott although with him and Linc McCarthy they play very similar roles.

I think Darcy Parish is still OOC this year so he'd be the one I'd be after, don't see him moving though.

Others OOC and worth a nibble- Mason Redman, Nakia Cockatoo, Jack Martin, Oskar Baker, Mabior Chol, Liam Baker, Darcy Cameron, Bailey Dale, Lukas Webb.

Back