2019 Trade thread

Remove this Banner Ad

With the number of young and hopefully quality young kids we have in the NEAFL that can't get a game in the seniors, are we at the point of trading for A graders only? Personally I think we are.

Not quite yet I don't think. Definitely still need to be looking for young players with upside or undervalued talents if they can improve the list.

On a random tangent - 17 other clubs would love to have Lester on their books, we haven't been tested for injuries at all this year and he's able to fit into a number of roles. We need to ride this trade period out. We have the cattle except for a lockdown midfielder and it has to be for a late pick.

On a random tangent - 17 other clubs would love to have Lester on their books, we haven't been tested for injuries at all this year and he's able to fit into a number of roles. We need to ride this trade period out. We have the cattle except for a lockdown midfielder and it has to be for a late pick.
If Lions don't sign him up, Suns in box seat.

Bit quiet this year on the trade front. We had got whispers last year about Neale, Wallis and a Geelong player potentially coming and Charlie the year before was talked about mid year.

Might be a slight exaggeration. I agree he fills a need for us but would think his appeal to others would be pretty limited. We will trade this year no doubt. Got to continue to improve the list, not rest on our achievements this year. We are in the window.

With the talk on the "non lions discussion" thread re a few players maybe looking at going to the Suns the one mentioned that I would really like to look at for us is Sam Powell-Pepper.

IMO he would be a fantastic get for us, he has destroyed us out of the middle in the past, his disposal is a worry but I am very confident we could maximize his "weapons" ie. big bodied contested center square beast.

I am really in favour with this proposal. I really like it. so long as he does not cost a lot. I have read lot of na sayers , bagging your idea ( just like they did about Mitch,I included ) , however the player he reminds me of the most ,is mitch robinson. A hard nose uncompromising player who could possibly be a replacement for Mitch in the next two years. Fagan could be just the ticket for Sam. Mitch I would personally ( just my opinion ) would not call his kicking elite but the similarities between Mitch and Sam ,for me warrant further exploration. Sam, of course is still early in his career but i see him as a younger version of Mitch. So really like you thinking outside the square.

I am really in favour with this proposal. I really like it. so long as he does not cost a lot. I have read lot of na sayers , bagging your idea ( just like they did about Mitch,I included ) , however the player he reminds me of the most ,is mitch robinson. A hard nose uncompromising player who could possibly be a replacement for Mitch in the next two years. Fagan could be just the ticket for Sam. Mitch I would personally ( just my opinion ) would not call his kicking elite but the similarities between Mitch and Sam ,for me warrant further exploration. Sam, of course is still early in his career but i see him as a younger version of Mitch. So really like you thinking outside the square.
Thanks, a highly intelligent well thought out 1st post on Big Footy even if I do say so myself Brisbanelions12.

Welcome to Big Footy.

A name that has been thrown up to looking for a fresh start that I've always been a fan of is Mason Wood, 192cm forward. Would he be an option for our 3rd option up front and push Rayner into the midfield more or high half forward. He is 25 years old which fits the age bracket. Thoughts?

One more who apparently has been told to explore options is Brad Crouch, Would this complete our Midfield? or would it make it too slow? Neale, Lyons, Berry, McCluggage, Robinson & B Crouch? Looks handy for season 2020.

A name that has been thrown up to looking for a fresh start that I've always been a fan of is Mason Wood, 192cm forward. Would he be an option for our 3rd option up front and push Rayner into the midfield more or high half forward. He is 25 years old which fits the age bracket. Thoughts?
I'm not necessarily for or against and can't say I watch many North games (seriously why would anyone), but my recollection is that Wood always seems to have pretty good games against us and kicks some nice goals. No idea how consistent he is otherwise.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've seen Wood being physical, he just isn't anywhere near consistent enough. But after last preseason's trading successes and the complete metamorphosis of Mitch, I wouldn't underestimate our coaching staff's ability to make a jewel out of any trade target.

One more who apparently has been told to explore options is Brad Crouch, Would this complete our Midfield? or would it make it too slow? Neale, Lyons, Berry, McCluggage, Robinson & B Crouch? Looks handy for season 2020.

Wood I’m not too fussed about either way, he’s been threatening to break out for years and just hasn’t happened, may never happen. His kicking for goal can be really worrying at time.

Brad Crouch would be a great pickup, just from the eye test I don’t think he’s slow either. From Adelaides point of view, it’s probably a good time to try and move him on, coming off a strong, full season. Really not sure what he’d be worth.

I’m pretty sure Mason Wood suffered from a lot of injuries in the past, I read somewhere that he’s only played 56 games in seven seasons. If he can kick better than McStay, wouldn’t be too bad to take a punt at him.

Another case of the grass is greener on the other side. If we want a third banana of the Wood grain, would it not be better to grow our own. We have MaCfadyen in our garden, given six years growth and fifty games would be twice better than Wood.

Can not pass strongly enough on wood, when north played Geelong and only kicked 1 goal 8 he was ranked the worst on ground for kicking efficiency. He has some game where he can go alright but others where he was very bad and gives up in games way to often. A lot of people say McStay is is a bad shot on goal, he has 51.4 percent accuracy which is quite low compared to the rest of our team. Wood has 44.4 percent accuracy and doesn’t offer much around the ground. McInerney has 64.3 percent accuracy which is one of the best in the team if we were desperate for more marking targets up forward who can go back and slot a goal (which I don’t believe is a main priority for the 1 offence in the comp) perhaps we could use him as a permanent forward and play another ruckman instead of him ( possibly Ceglar since we are linked to him)

Looking at the reserves goal accuracy (which doesn’t take into consideration out on the full) players who I believe could play Woods role better are:
Wooler - 66% / 1.47 goals per game
McFadyen - 63% / 1.06 goals per game
Ballenden- 58% / 1 goal per game
Skinner - 50% / 1.06 goals per game

Compared to:
Wood - 44% / 1.18 goals per game

I would pick Wooler to play ahead of Wood every day of the week, really hope we don’t lose him due to lack of opportunity. He could be the next Gunston. To top things off North are expecting a top 30 draft pick for Wood.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back