2019 Trade thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I just want a key forward who can anchor our forward line. We don't have that. Jenkins would be good for a year or two if Crows pay part of his salary. Heck, even Walker would straighten us up a lot.
Agreed, I think Josh Walker could straighten us up forward if played out of the goal-square; seriously.

Its tough when it comes to our tall fwds, looking to next year and beyond. Its not as though we arent scoring, its effective to our style of play at the moment. But our game plan will evolve and so will the use and need of player. I dont think we need to chase a key fwd yet. Our set up will probably stay the same next year with injuries and form giving fullarton, ballenden, etc a shot. They probably deserve the opportunity before we change things up. End of next season i think we will have a real hard look at our tall fwds and ruck. Not the priority yet.

This year trade wise i think we will prioritise a replacement for hodge in defense, and strengthen the wing, sm fwd/mid stocks. I can see witherden playing the role hodge has this year, the general. He certainly doesnt mind having a say. It may take him a a while to get use to it but he is good enough to thrive. So a very good sm defender, rory laird eg slots into the team perfectly. i cant see more than 6 or 7 changes to the list this year so its 3 or 4 trades into the club and 3 draftees.

I think we will lose hodge, bastinac, cutler, n robbo, allison, hinge or skinner. Eagles will lose cat b status and we wont have a list spot for him and i think lester may go if we happen to need a spot. Walker, taylor, keays, matho, our only reliable depth need to stay. The rest are developing, with cox, c lyons, hinge not far off hitting depth standard.

In- laird, ah chee, powel pepper, butler would be great.
Draft- luke jackson, will gould, will martyn or kieden coleman.
Just my thoughts

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Its tough when it comes to our tall fwds, looking to next year and beyond. Its not as though we arent scoring, its effective to our style of play at the moment. But our game plan will evolve and so will the use and need of player. I dont think we need to chase a key fwd yet. Our set up will probably stay the same next year with injuries and form giving fullarton, ballenden, etc a shot. They probably deserve the opportunity before we change things up. End of next season i think we will have a real hard look at our tall fwds and ruck. Not the priority yet.

This year trade wise i think we will prioritise a replacement for hodge in defense, and strengthen the wing, sm fwd/mid stocks. I can see witherden playing the role hodge has this year, the general. He certainly doesnt mind having a say. It may take him a a while to get use to it but he is good enough to thrive. So a very good sm defender, rory laird eg slots into the team perfectly. i cant see more than 6 or 7 changes to the list this year so its 3 or 4 trades into the club and 3 draftees.

I think we will lose hodge, bastinac, cutler, n robbo, allison, hinge or skinner. Eagles will lose cat b status and we wont have a list spot for him and i think lester may go if we happen to need a spot. Walker, taylor, keays, matho, our only reliable depth need to stay. The rest are developing, with cox, c lyons, hinge not far off hitting depth standard.

Just my thoughts
Not so sure how we would have the currency to get all of Laird, Ah Chee and Powell Pepper and still be high enough in the draft to get Luke Jackson?

Just my thoughts
Right now we have pick 17, 19, 33, 42, 51

From what I understand, Will Gould is projecting inside the top 15. Jackson is looking like a late first or early second. So we would have to be pretty lucky for Gould to fall down the pecking order if those are the picks that we want.

I doubt either of Martyn or Coleman are going to get any interest inside the top 50. Haven't really heard much of them being talked about since the start of the year.

Laird would cost at least our first and second based on our current picks. You could look at using next year's first, but based on our current ladder position Adelaide would be wanting more currency than that.

Ah Chee is probably looking more like our pick 33 or 42. Talented, but hasn't been able to get on the park, so I don't think he really warrants much more than those picks. Maybe if GC is feeling like they have enough draft currency you could look into using next year's second pick, but I would say that's probably a long shot. Maybe our pick 51 and next year's second would get it over the line.

Powell-Pepper I have no idea on. I wouldn't really want to pay more than pick 33. I think the weaknesses in his game don't warrant a higher pick. Also don't see the point since he would probably be behind Neale, Lyons, Zorko, Berry at the very least in the main team. I don't think it makes much sense to bring in a player with a mid second that won't be in the main squad. I also don't know if Port would really want to move him on, especially for a late second. If we think it's a weak draft next year, maybe next year's second and this year's pick 42?

If we are looking at SPP for inside depth, I'd rather grab Ellis-Yolmen as a UFA. Doubt he would be expensive in terms of cap space, and you can throw him in and know he wouldn't be too bad if injuries strike.

So you could probably do:
Laird for 17 and next year's 1st
Ah Chee for 33
SPP for 42 and next year's 2nd (doubt Port would take it but I don't particularly rate him - that's the absolute maximum I would want to pay and only if we think next year's draft is weak)

Leaves you with 19, 51 to play with for this year but takes our first 2 picks out of next years draft:
Can probably get Jackson if you want him with 19
Should be able to get Coleman with 51
Can probably rookie Martyn if you wanted

Obviously it all depends on if any players end up leaving, and what compensation we get for them.

What would be the price of Laird?

Our 2019 and 2020 first rounders.

Or our first two picks in this years draft.

There’s every chance the club believes we have enough young talent currently on the list, so we might not be taking any high picks to the draft this year or next.

We potentially have a few academy kids this year and next that might be viewed as long term development prospects.

So trading for ready made players and taking late and rookie picks to the draft to fill out the list with academy kids.

Keidean and Blake Coleman are both flankers/small forwards.

So to Noah Cumberland. Cumberland could very well play a similar game Mitch Robinson on a wing.

Saxon Crozier and Carter Michael are both tall inside mids.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/subscribe/news/1/?sourceCode=HSWEB_WRE170_a&dest=https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/more-news/trades-unplugged-essendons-joe-daniher-has-a-big-decision-to-make/news-story/75bad70b29a03c07f1cf009fce309c6a&memtype=anonymous&mode=premium&v21suffix=45-b

CALLUM AH CHEE

Will go to Brisbane and while he is a former No. 8 in the 2015 national draft he has battled with various issues and there is a concession it won’t be for a high pick. Suns have supported him strongly but are aware he needs a fresh start.

Appears to be a lock Ah Chee will join us.

Daniher incoming. Quote me once it happens and praise be I graced you with the forewarning.

Keep your peckers down my friends the holy season is upon us.

#destinationclub
You are not the first to have said it!
It has been brought up before.
Apparently he is having some time away from the Bombers at the moment to make a decision.
But Sydney is still the club most likely apparently, if he decides to leave?

Daniher incoming. Quote me once it happens and praise be I graced you with the forewarning.

Keep your peckers down my friends the holy season is upon us.

#destinationclub

Is this the same level of confidence you had that we wouldn't win another game with Christensen in the team?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back