2019 Trade thread

Remove this Banner Ad

If we can get Birchall's body right he'd be a great addition and help us push for top 4 again next year. Also great for our culture. Knows what it takes to win 4 flags. Would only likely get 2 good years out of him but he'd definitely improve our side and we're ready to compete now so there's no problem recruiting guys for 1-2 years of quality footy. If he's best 22 it improves our list and he will be if fit.

Ellis-Yolmen may be on our radar to be our big midfielder running interference for Neale, Zorko and co. He isn’t a superstar but with his frame he does have a role to play. I was surprised the Crows didn’t play him a little more than they did. Mind you, their selections were weird at times.

At worst, CEY would be relatively cheap depth for injuries. Good pickup IMO. I mentioned him when the SPP talk was doing the rounds. Seems like the sort of player that would provide a similar style of depth, at a lot lower price.

Would prefer we have a few of those types around. Gives us more room to focus our cap on the young guns set for a pay rise, as well as attracting free agents and picks.

I’m not really enamoured with most of the names being bandied around that are supposedly coming to us. Not sure to see how they are going to make us a better team. Would rather develop our youth. I’ve got faith in Noble and Co as they’ve earned it and hope that a lot of the noise is just the medjia looking for ‘click bait headlines.’

I’m not really enamoured with most of the names being bandied around that are supposedly coming to us. Not sure to see how they are going to make us a better team. Would rather develop our youth. I’ve got faith in Noble and Co as they’ve earned it and hope that a lot of the noise is just the medjia looking for ‘click bait headlines.’

We had a blessed run with injuries this year and our depth across the ground was never tested.

2020 could become a wasted year very quickly if our injury luck gives out. I trust Nobes and Fages if they look to add some B grade depth to mitigate that.

Sydney did it for years and it kept them thereabouts.

Trade period is more than just chasing marlin. Especially for a team in a finals window.

With the trade period opening in two weeks I am interested to see what other people think will happen or want to happen. For me this is what i think will happen.
Retire- Hodge
Delist- Bastinac, Hinge, Walker, Eagles.
Re-sign- Ballenden(2 Yr), Christensen (1 Yr), C Lyons (2 Yr), Lester (1 Yr), Skinner (2 Yr)
Trade- Robertson, Taylor, Keays.

Bring in- Ah Chee & Laird/Smith
Have 3 draft picks available.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With the trade period opening in two weeks I am interested to see what other people think will happen or want to happen. For me this is what i think will happen.
Retire- Hodge
Re-sign- Ballenden(2 Yr), Christensen (1 Yr), C Lyons (2 Yr), Lester (1 Yr), Skinner (2 Yr)

I know I could regret this, but what about Cutler?

If we can’t get any legitimate a grade talent we should juts looks at just getting ah chee , and then go to the draft for a Half back with pace and add to our midfield depth .
Yeah, im with ya a bit on that one. We could package a cpl of picks, move up the draft order a bit to be sure of getting Will Gould. Hes been playing sanfl and performing well against men at half back. Has skills and could easily make a first year impression like Answerth.

Retire- Hodge

Leaves the shelf a bit bare of reliable, capable depth. Id keep walker, taylor and keays (possibly hinge as well), delist lester and skinner and add cutler to your trade list. Our window has opened probably a year earlier than thought, i think we need 6-8 good depth players on the list at least.

Walker is our only current plug n play depth back and fwd.
Taylor was listed in an afl article rating him in the top 5 ooc sm fwds available. Unless we can replace him with better, why would we trade him. He wants to stay.
Keays finally looked comfortable and confident this year in the firsts, has more to offer.
Hinge looked ok in the games he played this year and i think further development could see him step up more.

Cutler doesnt seem to be in fagans future plans for whatever reason and would have some trade value.
Lester has seen answerth, even bailey go past him and any trade, be it smith/laird or whomever pushes him further down the list.
Skinner is a tough one. I like the kid, his aggression, determination in the face of injury and i guess he has only really had this year playing a full season of footy. I would be ok keeping him tho. But has his injury run affected his speed, power. Has it limited his ceiling.

Many different thoughts n opinions on this im sure. But they are my thoughts and rationales behind them.

Retire- Hodge

I would like to think we keep Walker for KP depth. He does a job.

If we only bring in Ah Chee & CEY, then you would think the pies first and GC’s second would still be in tact.

Given we appear to have now entered our window I’d be hoping that if we can, then to try and turn those 2 picks into a bit higher one. If we are indeed in the window we need more top class talent, either through trade or alternatively trading up to get it through the draft.

Think the Neale trade and our recent success may have clouded expectations a bit. We're still in Brisbane and won't have the big names knocking down our door every year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back