2019 Trade thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes,

34 seems pretty much right, although we do owe GC big time for last year....

I don't mind at all if Lewy and Cutler stay and GC don't want to deal on Ah Chee.

Whatever anyone else thinks if we become a consistently strong side over 3 or 4 years Cutler could be a very damaging player for us . Every great side has one or two like him. Plus I'm not at all convinced that he can't be improved.But it looks likely he's gone.

Who knows with Ah Chee . The club would have better intelligence on his fitness . I think he's potentially a good player but if he wants to go and he's out of contract then we have the whip hand for a change. I think 34's very fair.

We’ve signed Birchall for a year. I don’t think he has any influence either way on our need for Ah Chee.

I have no interest in going to the draft this year. I just want us to add talent. We clearly like Ah Chee and everyone accepts that he has talent. It is a no brainer just to get the deal done IMO.

Indeed but there are only 6 positions in the back half, my point was we are in a better position since Birch than before; nothing else.

Considering we have brought in 2 FA's, and looking to bring in 1 via trade (Ah Chee), we really don't need to hit the draft all that hard. Assuming we were to take our 2 top rated academy kids, and use a bunch of our later picks to do it, we kinda only really need 1 good pick at the pointy end of the draft. We rate the depth to 10-12 so will look to get in there. I think if we could push 21 back a bit to move 16 to the 9-12 range it would be worth while. Then use the pushed back pick 21 for Ah Chee. If Taylor and Cutler leave, then we can look to move some things to push a pick forward, maybe a second pick in the top 35 would be ok.

Basically, we have more picks than we need due to getting in FAs, so we will probably get some better value by moving picks up the draft rather than trying to get picks out right for the out going players.

Yes,

34 seems pretty much right, although we do owe GC big time for last year....
You shouldn’t get penalised just because a previous trade worked out well for you

These might be a left field one, but I seriously reckon we should place a late bid for Josh Bruce involving pick 21 in some capacity. If we can match Bulldogs contract of a 4 year deal, I think it's worth it for a proven key forward. I love McStay but at these stage of his career I don't think he can take his game to another level and we don't have any proven key forwards who can kick 30+ goals in the reserves. I feel like we need a mature spearhead up forward.

The negotiation between the two clubs have failed and Bruce wants the money. I think we can nab him since Taylor and Cutler leaving should free up some of the salary cap without compromising our ability to resign our young talented players in the future.

1571143777482.png

Last edited:
These might be a left field one, but I seriously reckon we should place a late bid for Josh Bruce involving pick 21 in some capacity. If we can match Bulldogs contract of a 4 year deal, I think it's worth it for a proven key forward. I love McStay but at these stage of his career I don't think he can take his game to another level and we don't have any proven key forwards who can kick 30+ goals in the reserves. I feel like we need a mature spearhead up forward.

The negotiation between the two clubs have failed and Bruce wants the money. I think we can nab him.

View attachment 765307
I agree that McStay needs to be kicking more than 20 goals in a full season. Not sure Bruce would give us enough to be worth it though, that one 50 goal season was clearly an anomaly.

I agree that McStay needs to be kicking more than 20 goals in a full season. Not sure Bruce would give us enough to be worth it though, that one 50 goal season was clearly an anomaly.
So the question is, would you trade pick 21 for a proven 27 year old key forward who is guaranteed to kick 30+ goals as minimum (based on past stats when he played the whole season)?

I don't know if it's me, but for pick 21 I would, considering we are in the premiership window.

Last edited:
Depends who you ask. I was always happy with the trades personally but there were a few outraged posters on here after a few of them.

I doubt too many are outraged now given the way the season panned out.
As I said at the time he understands very well what players are worth in draft terms of team success.
This is definitely not the same thing as what the consensus is on Bigfooty, either here or on the Crows board.
His trading got the Crows to the grand final and since he left there have been obvious parallels between their demise and our success.
Trading is a huge part of that.
Those who were outraged, I hate to say, just did not understand true trade worth in terms of value to the club and preferred just to believe all the naive Crows supporters who insisted he knew nothing (and keep on saying the same thing despite the results indicating the exact opposite).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nick Robbo was doing promotional work for the Lions yesterday, he and Hippy were in the Queen St mall with the Lord Mayor supporting the red bag appeal. Working on their holidays.
I hope that is a sign that Nick Robertson (and Hippy;)) will be staying with us in 2020, Nick is a fantastic example in giving 100% on and off field.

If we spend pick 21 on Ah Chee and he plays every game for the season and turns into a gun half back I doubt people will complain.

In the Suns' shoes, he was a pick 8 who has shown his elite talent but been bogged by injuries in the past year or so - he is part of their future and is still valuable to them. He's also worth 4 years to us.
Nunez, there will always be something to complain about no matter what he does. LOL.

Hipwood has been down at Cooperoo doing intensive interval training since 6:45am this morning. He means business.
Very mature for his age by the sounds of it, already planning life after footy, doing community service while on break and training hard already. Its him and McStay who need to take another step to push us to a flag.

Very mature for his age by the sounds of it, already planning life after footy, doing community service while on break and training hard already. Its him and McStay who need to take another step to push us to a flag.

Others began arriving later apparently, amazing application from the players involved.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back