2019 Trade thread

May 20, 2015
Maleny, Queensland
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I look at Steph as a big midfielder who can ruck and Big O as a ruck who can go forward and take a contested mark. Grundy at the Pies is a better version of Steph but doesn't have the back up of Big O. Gawn is a bit of both but another who plays like an extra mid fielder. Lyccett at Port signed for 5 years but is on the outer and more the tap ruckman. Goldstein, Ryder, and McEvoy are too old, Witts would be ok but locked to the Suns as Captain, I take Hickey from the Eagles but if they didn't ditch him this year he is within their salary cap expectations. Nankervis from Richmond not happening nor Lobb from Freemantle although he is more the sort. Sinclare from the Swans would fit by injury prone so there is Marshall from S tKilda. Jacobs, Kreuzer and Nic Nat too old. Ceglar from Hawthorn - a chance but English from the Bulldogs would be lovely but not happening. Its pretty tight as you can see but if Archie does leave as we are thinking he might even though under contract I think it might surprise us all and one of the last first rounders may get it done but it's a hole we have to plug.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
I look at Steph as a big midfielder who can ruck and Big O as a ruck who can go forward and take a contested mark. Grundy at the Pies is a better version of Steph but doesn't have the back up of Big O. Gawn is a bit of both but another who plays like an extra mid fielder. Lyccett at Port signed for 5 years but is on the outer and more the tap ruckman. Goldstein, Ryder, and McEvoy are too old, Witts would be ok but locked to the Suns as Captain, I take Hickey from the Eagles but if they didn't ditch him this year he is within their salary cap expectations. Nankervis from Richmond not happening nor Lobb from Freemantle although he is more the sort. Sinclare from the Swans would fit by injury prone so there is Marshall from S tKilda. Jacobs, Kreuzer and Nic Nat too old. Ceglar from Hawthorn - a chance but English from the Bulldogs would be lovely but not happening. Its pretty tight as you can see but if Archie does leave as we are thinking he might even though under contract I think it might surprise us all and one of the last first rounders may get it done but it's a hole we have to plug.
At the Draft, I’d be tempted by Nick Bryan from the Oakleigh Chargers at our third pick. Heck, I’d even have him in consideration at our second pick.

Sort of a mini English. But he’s a long term prospect.

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
At the Draft, I’d be tempted by Nick Bryan from the Oakleigh Chargers at our third pick. Heck, I’d even have him in consideration at our second pick.

If we have a couple of safe picks like Rivers and Rantall I’d be onboard for more of a speculative/project pick like Sharman, Jeka or Bryan.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
If we have a couple of safe picks like Rivers and Rantall I’d be onboard for more of a speculative/project pick like Sharman, Jeka or Bryan.
I’ll wait until the draft pick trade deadline has passed before posting my thoughts in the draft thread, but we’ll be lucky to get one of most people’s preferred targets. The draft would have to go drastically different to most draft watchers rankings for us to get two at our first two picks.

May 20, 2015
Maleny, Queensland
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

I think your right that they may take on a 'project' young ruckman. I think there is every chance this is Steph's last year. Fagan seem to stick with players playing their roles. If Steph retires the new ruck has to walk right in or we change game style. I would have thought, like big O they already had their eye on a ruckman with a more mature body and bring them to the rookie list but there seems no space. Maybe they rate Eagles highly as the backup now and you call is right, we draft one and build our own, so to speak. I just cant see us doing nothing this year to sure up the ruck division unless they have a trade they think is a done deal for next season.

I love the swagger coming out of the club at the moment. Every move we make is part of a well thought out plan. Was surprised to see us trade out of the first round but to get an additional first rounder from Port next year is brilliant. I can’t see them being a top 8 team next year

T Rick

Premium Platinum
Sep 20, 2007
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Just some clarity from those in the know - how do recently delisted Lions players get picked up by other clubs from now on - what are the options?
For example, NRobbo, Archie Smith, Walker?

Scubaveg

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 6, 2009
Carina
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
When/how does this now happen?

There’s a period after the draft that clubs can use to finalise their lists. It’s not uncommon for clubs to wait until this period to add delisted free agents. Allows them to assess spots with the draft completed knowing what young talent they have added. Provides flexibility going into the draft.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Scubaveg

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 6, 2009
Carina
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I think if they nominate, they can actually get picked up in the National or Rookie draft also.
There is also the pre-season and mid season trade period as well.

Correct they can. Reading between the lines it appears the club expects Smith to nominate for the draft and get picked up by another club.

T Rick

Premium Platinum
Sep 20, 2007
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Correct they can. Reading between the lines it appears the club expects Smith to nominate for the draft and get picked up by another club.

How do we find a list of players like Archie who have nominated - all I can locate is the "top" 101 young draftees, not established players or mature age hopefuls.

How do we find a list of players like Archie who have nominated - all I can locate is the "top" 101 young draftees, not established players or mature age hopefuls.

The AFL has published the list in previous years (not always) but I can't find any for this year.

The list use to be thousands of names because every Tom, Dick and Josephine could lodge a draft application. Not sure how it is these days.
Still is. And every application stays current for up to five (?) years after lodging.

Back