Training 2019 Training - pics, reports etc

Remove this Banner Ad

The key for Jack Silvagni is to become a genuine utility. That means training as a midfielder so he can play there but also being able to play all over the field. He's probably going to be a bit of a Simon White or Alex Silvagni type. Kind of on the fringes but pretty useful, thrown all over the place at times and that's the role he needs to aim at.

His time as a forward is probably done with McKay and Curnow cemented in and the recruitment of McGovern but if someone gets injured or comes off the field he's there.

He's more likely to be a back pocket type if he does cement a place in the best 22 but there are guys like Plowman and Marchbank and possibly Macreadie who are ahead but again if there are injuries he comes in. I'd like to see him nail his defensive game so he's able to come on and replace any of our defenders when they rotate.

As a midfielder he has some good qualities but he needs to be an inside midfielder and he hasn't proven to be strong enough for that. Quite a few players ahead of him here too but if he develops his strength and running he could fit in here as well.

So there's probably a spot on the bench as a utility type who can play anywhere if he gets good enough. Setterfield is probably another player who may be able to play the same role. Again it comes down to becoming good enough and good enough over a wide variety of roles and positions. Utility types are quite valuable in a team as they cover for injury well and contribute to rotations well so there is that extra value.

There's no doubt he can play at a reasonable level all over the ground, it's just about getting better at it. If he ends up being one of these guys who's on the list for a long time and is in and out of the team then so be it. There are a lot of players at good clubs who have been in this position over the years.

I believe there is a place for him in the 22

Where though?
Jack may be OK in a rock solid team but as a play-maker, he doesn't really seem to cut it.

We can try to stick him in there, put him here and trial him everywhere, but he just doesn't seem to have a real point of difference that will assure him a spot in our best team, going forward. All the best to him of he can achieve something not looking likely and one never knows for sure, but it may be tough.

Where though?
Jack may be OK in a rock solid team but as a play-maker, he doesn't really seem to cut it.

We can try to stick him in there, put him here and trial him everywhere, but he just doesn't seem to have a real point of difference that will assure him a spot in our best team, going forward. All the best to him of he can achieve something not looking likely and one never knows for sure, but it may be tough.
The more players we have jostling for a spot in the side the stronger we'll be imo .
Ya gotta fight for a spot on the training track boys ,train hard ,win a spot and make it your own ..

Where though?

I don't know if he is still training for a midfield role but that is where I can see him.
I am not expecting him to venture inside the arcs but to patrol the center square providing that link play.
He is a very good mark, smart player who needs to work on endurance / speed to really stand out in that role.
I believe this would play to his strengths.
IF he opposition play off him then that leave him in space for the counter or open to switch play. He falls back in the space in defense or denies an area to the opposition.

In all I probably would not expect him in our best 22 until he has played that midfield role for a season or two.

I don't know if he is still training for a midfield role but that is where I can see him.
I am not expecting him to venture inside the arcs but to patrol the center square providing that link play.
He is a very good mark, smart player who needs to work on endurance / speed to really stand out in that role.
I believe this would play to his strengths.
IF he opposition play off him then that leave him in space for the counter or open to switch play. He falls back in the space in defense or denies an area to the opposition.

In all I probably would not expect him in our best 22 until he has played that midfield role for a season or two.

Midfield? I think that's a pipe dream now.
He has the smarts, but not the speed, tank nor balling winning qualities required.

Look, who knows for sure and he may get a little bias coming his way, giving him an extra opportunity or two.
I like Jack and if he does develop himself into a player that finds his place in our best 22, then good on him, as it will likely be for a lot of extra effort put in.

GALLERY 14.01 - Here's Jack

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Midfield? I think that's a pipe dream now.
He has the smarts, but not the speed, tank nor balling winning qualities required.

Look, who knows for sure and he may get a little bias coming his way, giving him an extra opportunity or two.
I like Jack and if he does develop himself into a player that finds his place in our best 22, then good on him, as it will likely be for a lot of extra effort put in.

GALLERY 14.01 - Here's Jack

That last photo of Jack is very encouraging to me. In the last couple of games of 2018 he took some nice hangars and I thought at the time that it was the sign of a player growing in confidence at the level, if he can make that a regular feature of his game (and the signs are pointing to him being able to) it makes him a much more rounded player and more dangerous offensive weapon.

Remember when Jack played some games in his first season, so much hype. I am firmly in the Jack will make it camp, he’s just a pure footballer. Just needs a little more development and confidence. At least generally when you see him near the ball he is busting his gut trying to win it..

It's only natural that a kid with his surname, chosen under the circumstances he was taken and the amount of visibility the club gave him (you have to admit it was a bit OTT) is going to generate a lot of discussion. I've been hot and cold on him, he's got some smarts and AFL qualities but it will be interesting to see if it is enough.

Pity Williams is at the dons. If jack could handball like Greg and add it to his bow. I hope he comes on and finds his place. He looks fitter and stronger from training pics .

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Yes agree, but just think what would Williams could do with all our midfield group too.
Can’t understand why the club has'nt perused his services, such a great midfielder he'd be a perfect mentor for our talented youngsters.

I still see a kid who in his second year of AFL football had 36 shots on goal for 19 goals 17 points playing in one of the lowest scoring dysfunctional forward lines of the modern era.

I see a kid that may have had the second year blues in his third year.

You don’t kick 19 goals 17 in “that” team if you don’t have ability.

He has some things to work on sure, but what 20 year old doesn’t, particularly with context of just how poor we were last season.

Go back and have a look at his Dads output in his first three seasons. I watched it, he was a gangly young colt, he showed ability but if anyone said he would go on to become the player he did......well.
Also came into a pretty fair team back then did Steve.

I agree with the previous poster, I believe he can become a very important utility in the next few years. Dangerous wherever he plays.

Yes agree, but just think what would Williams could do with all our midfield group too.
Can’t understand why the club has'nt perused his services, such a great midfielder he'd be a perfect mentor for our talented youngsters.

Could not agree more . And handball training right across the team.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back