Training 2019 Training - pics, reports etc

Remove this Banner Ad

Is it too early for houses to be trained down?
perhaps - but saw this walking past princes park this morning......

giphy.gif

Russell won't be the magic wand that fixes everything. I'm sure there are things he will get them doing that are different and probably more individual based but he'll need a year with these players to get to know them. We're going to be a challenge that's for sure. There is no doubt that a lot of these players at Carlton are not fit enough. This comes down to us bringing in a lot of players with a long history of injuries and a lot of our players being in their first 3 years of football.

I would think he will bring some pretty solid methods but he is just one of the many good off field people we need at the club to get things going again.

What is exciting is hearing that all players are fit and ready to start training apart from Setterfield who I think will start fully training after Christmas. A little more depth and a best 26 which is fairly solid in my opinion.

But we will have a lot of players who have not reached the age where they are solid contributors, injury prone, second year blues etc etc. Plenty of good additions coming in but it's going to be challenging.

Looking at the players...

Silvagni - Utility player who has skills but is not fit enough, not worried about his lacks of speed, I think he's quick enough, his lack of strength and endurance is the issue. Needs to develop an AFL players body and is probably a late developer. May play great footy in his 5th season like a lot of talls do.

Dow - Has pace but he rarely used it and wasn't great at applying chase pressure. Good strength for his age. Legs seemed to lack the strength when kicking. First year I know but has a lot of building to do to becoming an AFL midfielder.

Murphy - Had that foot problem and never had much chance. Not strong enough around the shoulders. Will have his running up to scratch.

O'Brien - Natural runner and needs to keep building it, needs to get stronger.

SPS - Needs to get fitter all round, not consistent enough yet and really needs to build a tank and a midfielders body. He's a centerman and that's what he's got to push towards.

Simpson - Just needs to do what he always does.

Kennedy - One of the worst in terms of being in good shape. Constant injuries, didn't get time in the gym and looked like it, he's got a big frame but he's not ripped and strong through the shoulders like Cripps or Curnow. Running was terrible, mobility, endurance and pace was just not there. Needs to get serious.

Kreuzer - Plenty of injuries and health complaints. Really fit last season and not too good this season.

Cripps - He's like Judd, absolute professional. I bet there's no off season with him. The fact that he went out and got a running coach and came back leaps and bounds ahead of the rest just goes to show how bad the club is at getting players fit. Who ever that running coach is we should be throwing the kitchen sink at employing him full time.

McKay - Tank isn't big enough although he finished the season in good shape, needs to mature and add a little size to his frame. It was clear why he wasn't getting a game for most of the season. Repeat efforts weren't there.

DeKoning - He's where he needs to be, he's a ruckman and needs to build his body gradually. Had a few injuries but to me he looks fit for a first year player, needs to keep it going forward.

Jones - Unlucky to have injuries but he's always fit, that's never the issue here.

Docherty- Challenging coming back but before injury he was a super good runner.

Lang - had injuries and was never really fit. Fast players who don't use their speed are like that because they aren't fit.

Schumacher - Needs to build a really big tank for what he is and start covering some serious ground and running hard off his man and back to defend. Going ok.

Plowman - Injury problems. His running has been an issue for a long while, he defends well but he doesn not run both ways.

Garlet - Injuries and a terrible season. Never used his run or pace. Needs to improve his running significantly and get strong in the shoulders and mind.

Marchbank - Another season on injuries. He's actually a good natural runner and needs to remain so but I feel he needs to build his body strength. Not strong enough in defensive contests.

Weitering - Needs to improve his upper body strength a little and his running. He gets to the contest out of gas a lot and gets beaten for strength.

Fisher - One of the few I would say are fit enough, a little body size might help but it's not crucial. You can be small and hit hard like Simpson, you don't need to be big.

Macreadie - The whole season injured. A key position defender needs to get his body strong. Got a bit of work to do there. I think his running is ok.

Lobbe - Looked to just do enough, had injuries but he needs to get his running up a little.

Cuningham - Injured a lot, needs to build his tank.

Polson - Injured a lot, needs to get strong around the shoulders and build his running ability.

Curnow - Another who is fit enough. Perhaps a little upper body strength but he's fine.

Williamson - Natural athlete, good runner, just needs his body and health to play along.

Pickett - Never been anywhere near fit enough, this season is his last chance, he should have been away in the off season with a running coach. Half back won't be his fit, can't see him sitting in the holes under high balls, I've seen he doesn't like this. He needs to become a super runner and make it as a forward or mid. At this stage he gets exploited a lot for his poor fitness and it's held him back significantly. If he can't get fit he will get delisted.

Phillips - Always injured.

Ed Curnow - One of the few who is up to AFL standards and it shows.

Casboult - Can't run at all and this will be his last season in the AFL if that doesn't change. Early in his career he could run a bit but he's become terrible. Needs to get fit, play well and find a contract somewhere.

Kerr - Strong guy who needs to get his running going. Keep building strength and build his running. He's not super quick but he could be super fit.

Thomas - Came good a bit. Could potentially prolong his career significantly if he got really fit, perhaps in the Simpson role. Had a solid season for the first time in ages. Clearly not fit enough to play wing or pressure forward, challenge for him it to go up a level if his body will let him so he can again.

Fasolo - Talent and pace, needs to become ultra fit and a two way running forward.

McGovern - Injuries have been a real problem, this guy has the ability to go to the next level, he's got a strong body, powerful athlete and heaps of talent. Should be a player who plays forward and in the midfield. But he needs to get stuck in and get midfield for. A Medium forward who has never got himself fit enough to go into the midfield and never played in a side where he has had to. All the tools but not fit enough.

Newman - He should be looking to becoming an attacking half back which is the biggest running position on the ground. He needs to just go really hard building his tank.

Setterfield - Years and years of injuries, he just needs to get over that and get himself really fit and become a good AFL midfielder.

Owies - Coming from basketball he'll have to work really hard on his running. I think he will be a midfielder which means he's got some catching up to do. Size wise he's not too bad.

Lebois - Had injuries, didn't seem to be able to play in the midfield in the VFL which suggests either not fit enough or not good enough. Needs to become a fitness freak if he is to save and make an AFL career. Needs to be a two way runner.

There are very few players on our list I can look at and suggest they are up to standard fitness wise. There are no doubts why we have recognised an issue and brough Russell in.

Can't wait for the coming season, love the additions and look forward to improvement and what new players can bring.

A lot of young players don't know how to train and need to be told, just is how it is. Especially at this level.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kennedy - One of the worst in terms of being in good shape. Constant injuries, didn't get time in the gym and looked like it, he's got a big frame but he's not ripped and strong through the shoulders like Cripps or Curnow. Running was terrible, mobility, endurance and pace was just not there. Needs to get serious.
Absolutely savage on Kennedy, gbatman. He ****** his ankle in round 1 and played out the year!
Not to mention shoulder surgery before the start of the season, might have something to do with not being able to build them up in the gym....

Averaging about 18 while playing with busted ankle ligaments and coming off shoulder surgery isn't too bad. The bloke was held together with strapping tape and persevered through it, reckon it's a bit rough to tell him he needs to get serious. Not sure what else he could do...

An important cog nonetheless. Just like the horseshoe nail in the proverb.

For want of a nail a horseshoe was lost,
for want of a horseshoe a horse went lame,
for want of a horse a rider never got through,
for want of a rider a message never arrived,
for want of a message an army was never sent,
for want of an army a battle was lost,
for want of a battle a war was lost,
for want of a war a kingdom fell,
and all for want of a nail.
Or, as they succinctly scream it at you at basic training, "WHY ARE YOUR SHOELACES TIED THE WRONG WAY??! YOU JUST GOT YOUR WHOLE PLATOON KILLED!!!"

Russell won't be the magic wand that fixes everything. I'm sure there are things he will get them doing that are different and probably more individual based but he'll need a year with these players to get to know them. We're going to be a challenge that's for sure. There is no doubt that a lot of these players at Carlton are not fit enough. This comes down to us bringing in a lot of players with a long history of injuries and a lot of our players being in their first 3 years of football.

I would think he will bring some pretty solid methods but he is just one of the many good off field people we need at the club to get things going again.

What is exciting is hearing that all players are fit and ready to start training apart from Setterfield who I think will start fully training after Christmas. A little more depth and a best 26 which is fairly solid in my opinion.

But we will have a lot of players who have not reached the age where they are solid contributors, injury prone, second year blues etc etc. Plenty of good additions coming in but it's going to be challenging.

Looking at the players...

Silvagni - Utility player who has skills but is not fit enough, not worried about his lacks of speed, I think he's quick enough, his lack of strength and endurance is the issue. Needs to develop an AFL players body and is probably a late developer. May play great footy in his 5th season like a lot of talls do.

Dow - Has pace but he rarely used it and wasn't great at applying chase pressure. Good strength for his age. Legs seemed to lack the strength when kicking. First year I know but has a lot of building to do to becoming an AFL midfielder.

Murphy - Had that foot problem and never had much chance. Not strong enough around the shoulders. Will have his running up to scratch.

O'Brien - Natural runner and needs to keep building it, needs to get stronger.

SPS - Needs to get fitter all round, not consistent enough yet and really needs to build a tank and a midfielders body. He's a centerman and that's what he's got to push towards.

Simpson - Just needs to do what he always does.

Kreuzer - Plenty of injuries and health complaints. Really fit last season and not too good this season.

Cripps - He's like Judd, absolute professional. I bet there's no off season with him. The fact that he went out and got a running coach and came back leaps and bounds ahead of the rest just goes to show how bad the club is at getting players fit. Who ever that running coach is we should be throwing the kitchen sink at employing him full time.

McKay - Tank isn't big enough although he finished the season in good shape, needs to mature and add a little size to his frame. It was clear why he wasn't getting a game for most of the season. Repeat efforts weren't there.

DeKoning - He's where he needs to be, he's a ruckman and needs to build his body gradually. Had a few injuries but to me he looks fit for a first year player, needs to keep it going forward.

Jones - Unlucky to have injuries but he's always fit, that's never the issue here.

Docherty- Challenging coming back but before injury he was a super good runner.

Lang - had injuries and was never really fit. Fast players who don't use their speed are like that because they aren't fit.

Schumacher - Needs to build a really big tank for what he is and start covering some serious ground and running hard off his man and back to defend. Going ok.

Plowman - Injury problems. His running has been an issue for a long while, he defends well but he doesn not run both ways.

Garlet - Injuries and a terrible season. Never used his run or pace. Needs to improve his running significantly and get strong in the shoulders and mind.

Marchbank - Another season on injuries. He's actually a good natural runner and needs to remain so but I feel he needs to build his body strength. Not strong enough in defensive contests.

Weitering - Needs to improve his upper body strength a little and his running. He gets to the contest out of gas a lot and gets beaten for strength.

Fisher - One of the few I would say are fit enough, a little body size might help but it's not crucial. You can be small and hit hard like Simpson, you don't need to be big.

Macreadie - The whole season injured. A key position defender needs to get his body strong. Got a bit of work to do there. I think his running is ok.

Lobbe - Looked to just do enough, had injuries but he needs to get his running up a little.

Cuningham - Injured a lot, needs to build his tank.

Polson - Injured a lot, needs to get strong around the shoulders and build his running ability.

Curnow - Another who is fit enough. Perhaps a little upper body strength but he's fine.

Williamson - Natural athlete, good runner, just needs his body and health to play along.

Pickett - Never been anywhere near fit enough, this season is his last chance, he should have been away in the off season with a running coach. Half back won't be his fit, can't see him sitting in the holes under high balls, I've seen he doesn't like this. He needs to become a super runner and make it as a forward or mid. At this stage he gets exploited a lot for his poor fitness and it's held him back significantly. If he can't get fit he will get delisted.

Phillips - Always injured.

Ed Curnow - One of the few who is up to AFL standards and it shows.

Casboult - Can't run at all and this will be his last season in the AFL if that doesn't change. Early in his career he could run a bit but he's become terrible. Needs to get fit, play well and find a contract somewhere.

Kerr - Strong guy who needs to get his running going. Keep building strength and build his running. He's not super quick but he could be super fit.

Thomas - Came good a bit. Could potentially prolong his career significantly if he got really fit, perhaps in the Simpson role. Had a solid season for the first time in ages. Clearly not fit enough to play wing or pressure forward, challenge for him it to go up a level if his body will let him so he can again.

Fasolo - Talent and pace, needs to become ultra fit and a two way running forward.

McGovern - Injuries have been a real problem, this guy has the ability to go to the next level, he's got a strong body, powerful athlete and heaps of talent. Should be a player who plays forward and in the midfield. But he needs to get stuck in and get midfield for. A Medium forward who has never got himself fit enough to go into the midfield and never played in a side where he has had to. All the tools but not fit enough.

Newman - He should be looking to becoming an attacking half back which is the biggest running position on the ground. He needs to just go really hard building his tank.

Setterfield - Years and years of injuries, he just needs to get over that and get himself really fit and become a good AFL midfielder.

Owies - Coming from basketball he'll have to work really hard on his running. I think he will be a midfielder which means he's got some catching up to do. Size wise he's not too bad.

Lebois - Had injuries, didn't seem to be able to play in the midfield in the VFL which suggests either not fit enough or not good enough. Needs to become a fitness freak if he is to save and make an AFL career. Needs to be a two way runner.

There are very few players on our list I can look at and suggest they are up to standard fitness wise. There are no doubts why we have recognised an issue and brough Russell in.

Can't wait for the coming season, love the additions and look forward to improvement and what new players can bring.

A lot of young players don't know how to train and need to be told, just is how it is. Especially at this level.

Referring to your last paragraph.
...what are your credentials in stating that?
Have you been in the AFL system?

Totally savage on Kennedy and injuries happen. Its not the player's fault.
We had a young team savaged by injury. They played far more minutes than they'd normally have to.
Hense not running out games properly.
Jack Sos, actually ran games out well. His second halves were much stronger than his first halves all season.
Dow is quick, but why sprint and have to steady to kick if you dont have to.

You seem to be slamming the boots in pretty hard mate, and i dont think a lot if it is warranted.
Cheers

Last edited:
Absolutely savage on Kennedy, gbatman. He ****** his ankle in round 1 and played out the year!
Not to mention shoulder surgery before the start of the season, might have something to do with not being able to build them up in the gym....

Averaging about 18 while playing with busted ankle ligaments and coming off shoulder surgery isn't too bad. The bloke was held together with strapping tape and persevered through it, reckon it's a bit rough to tell him he needs to get serious. Not sure what else he could do...

Reasons are reasons, what I said is true. I'm sure a lot of players have reasons but that doesn't mean they can sit on their arse and rock up to 2019 with the same issues. Kennedy needs to greatly improve his running and mobility and get better conditioned. Didn't really play well and looked horribly unfit. Needs to get over injuries and crack in. He's very fringe best 22 for mine and if he doesn't really lift in that area will struggle as our team improves over the years. Would not want to turn up to the 2019 season anything like the 2018 season which goes for a number of players.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back