Training 2019 Training - pics, reports etc

Canyouhearthedrums

Premiership Player
Aug 28, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Bit of a fluff session, butsome good things showing up.
We have to get Cunningham into the starting 22 somehow.
Just has a killer first few steps and a brilliant side step

It’s time for the two parties to s**t or get off the pot, as it were. Provided Cunningham does all the right things in pre-season, the club should commit to giving him 7-8 games in a row. Need to see what we have.

Jul 7, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Yep. Amazing the change. Thank goodness

It’s so encouraging to hear this. It sounds like every training session for every player is purposeful and tailored to their needs/goals.

I was a personal trainer for nearly a decade and it absolutely baffled me seeing footage of some of the bootcamp style workouts I’ve seen the club share over the years. I wouldn’t treat my 40 year old office worker client trying to lose a few kilos with such disregard let alone a multi million dollar asset.

So many football traditions are completely arbitrary and somewhat barbaric. It’s nice to have a leader taking us to the forefront of best practice.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

It’s so encouraging to hear this. It sounds like every training session for every player is purposeful and tailored to their needs/goals.

So many football traditions are completely arbitrary and somewhat barbaric. It’s nice to have a leader taking us to the forefront of best practice.

I recall Buttifant coming to Carlton as a guru and taking over training sessions at times, when Malthouse was at the helm.
Not saying we're going to see the same thing again, but I really would hold back just a little on Russell, as it always starts off in a 'he'll do this and he'll do that' sort of way but can come undone pretty quickly also.

It doesn't matter for what noise may be coming out of the club just yet and we know that newbies get the keys to the city early on.
Only time will tell just how good Russell is and how well he melds in with our coaches........and it's way too early to call him 'The difference' just yet.

Soapy V

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 17, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
If Dow gets this part of his game down consistently = game over for the league.

Dow had been held back prior to Xmas with a hip injury. First week back full training. Now just needs a clean run at it. So mature. I have no doubt of he stays fit we will see a special player emerge and quickly. Has it all including football smarts and awareness. No real weaknesses with elite talent. His kicking is very underrated.

I had him No.3 in the draft behind LDU & Cerra. Fair to say I was wrong and SOS was right (again). After watching him close up I was amazed how good he is.

Best pure midfielder we have drafted EVER.

Jan 27, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
If Dow gets this part of his game down consistently = game over for the league.

Yep. Even if his kicking is scrappy his power game is still gonna make him a real damaging AFL player. But if his kicking becomes consistently good(doesn't have to be elite as very few top mids have elite kicking because of the congestion/pressure), then he is gonna be a bonafide star imo.

Soapy V

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 17, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
I recall Buttifant coming to Carlton as a guru and taking over training sessions at times, when Malthouse was at the helm.
Not saying we're going to see the same thing again, but I really would hold back just a little on Russell, as it always starts off in a 'he'll do this and he'll do that' sort of way but can come undone pretty quickly also.

It doesn't matter for what noise may be coming out of the club just yet and we know that newbies get the keys to the city early on.
Only time will tell just how good Russell is and how well he melds in with our coaches........and it's way too early to call him 'The difference' just yet.

Nope. Have to disagree Harks. The change is massive already and in so many ways.

Buttifant was old school and tied to Malthouse. Russell is a completely different level

Jan 27, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Nope. Have to disagree Harks. The change is massive already and in so many ways.

Buttifant was old school and tied to Malthouse. Russell is a completely different level

My gut tends to agree. Buttifant and Craig i think outgrew their era by the time they got to us. I just never got the feel that it was right place, right time, right group.

Even though Russell himself has been around a long time he projects as "a young veteran" and ideal for our group to "work with" not "work under". I think he, with his elite macro knowledge and enthusiasm and drive, is exactly what our hungry young group needed and wants.

Matty411

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 21, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
Dow had been held back prior to Xmas with a hip injury. First week back full training. Now just needs a clean run at it. So mature. I have no doubt of he stays fit we will see a special player emerge and quickly. Has it all including football smarts and awareness. No real weaknesses with elite talent. His kicking is very underrated.

I had him No.3 in the draft behind LDU & Cerra. Fair to say I was wrong and SOS was right (again). After watching him close up I was amazed how good he is.

Best pure midfielder we have drafted EVER.
What's your position on what kind of production we'll see from Paddy in 2019, Soapy? He struggled to hit the 20d mark despite plenty of time in the middle. Do we think he can push up towards 20-25 avg and break out, or still too early?

Soapy V

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 17, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
What's your position on what kind of production we'll see from Paddy in 2019, Soapy? He struggled to hit the 20d mark despite plenty of time in the middle. Do we think he can push up towards 20-25 avg and break out, or still too early?

If he stays fit I definitely think he will average 20 plus and have a few 30 possession games. The talent around him will help. Goal kicker as well.

IMO he just strikes me as the type that will step up quickly

I know but choose not to know, but see.
He wouldn't be the first individual to come to a club with excess fanfare only to not live up to reputation.

For now it's all talk. We'll see by years end.

bigdog43

Club Legend
Sep 20, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Cuningham strikes me as a racehorse type. Blinkers on, blinkers off, tongue tie on, winkers on, nose roll on, nose roll off etc... The club knows he has enormous talent but just can’t put their finger on what his natural position is and need to keep trying different scenarios until it clicks.

Back