Training 2019 Training - pics, reports etc

Not talk. It’s what I’ve seen with my own eyes

What was the proof in the pudding?
What can one possibly see in a few weeks of instruction that shows him out to be unique?

Much too early for that right now.
The torch isn't on yet but it will be, as it always is.

Cuningham strikes me as a racehorse type. Blinkers on, blinkers off, tongue tie on, winkers on, nose roll on, nose roll off etc... The club knows he has enormous talent but just can’t put their finger on what his natural position is and need to keep trying different scenarios until it clicks.

Feel like I've saying this for a while but just can't get a handle on Cuningham.
For the couple of sessions I've seen this pre-season, he does look to be a part of the whole now, whereas that didn't seem to be quite the case previously.

Why even worry about Cuningham?
He's got some traits that may make for him to become a terrific winger.
One of those players you watch and just imagine 'what could be', Maybe it will remain to be that way. Who knows?

Soapy V

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 17, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
What was the proof in the pudding?
What can one possibly see in a few weeks of instruction that shows him out to be unique?

Much too early for that right now.
The torch isn't on yet but it will be, as it always is.

Not IMO

You can tell when elite people join an organisation. The improvement in standards and attitude not only within playing group but within whole club has been immense.

The training is definitely a step up (probably several) and that is obvious. The players admit that. You can see the changes already in body shapes.

I spoke with a new player from another club earlier this week and he said he had never seen a more professional approach to training.

His record at Hawthorn speaks for itself.

This isn’t guessing or being hopeful IMO the change is obvious and the timing couldn’t be better

huddler

Senior List
Feb 5, 2011
Melbourne via Ireland
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Celtic, Northcote Park
I've tended to go watch the Northern Blues more in the last couple of seasons, and I've always watched Cuningham closely as I reckon he could be a cracker. Racehorse/greyhound is a thought I've had more than once. Aside from Liam Jones screamers, one of the best sights at PCO has been Cuningham sharking taps at full pelt, or bursting out of stoppages. When he's on a game it's beautiful. Sadly, however, those games are too few, and he can go missing for looong periods. Encouragingly, he did build into some strong form at one point which saw him rewarded, but then fell to a niggle and it never translated to the ones. Will watch him closely, and it could go either way, but I really hope this one can reach his potential. Players who can make you gasp don't grow on trees.

Jan 27, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Not IMO

You can tell when elite people join an organisation. The improvement in standards and attitude not only within playing group but within whole club has been immense.

The training is definitely a step up (probably several) and that is obvious. The players admit that. You can see the changes already in body shapes.

I spoke with a new player from another club earlier this week and he said he had never seen a more professional approach to training.

This isn’t guessing or being hopeful IMO the change is obvious and the timing couldn’t be better

I know you probably already know this but it is worth also pointing out that he was in charge of Port's Premiership team before landing at Waverley with Clarko. So he is no one group wonder either.

He's at the very pointy end of his field and a real coup to get him. Nobody is infallible but he is unquestionably a big advantage for this playing group. Which by the sounds of it you are witnessing.

Jan 31, 2007
In N Out
AFL Club
Carlton
Even though Russell himself has been around a long time he projects as "a young veteran" and ideal for our group to "work with" not "work under". I think he, with his elite macro knowledge and enthusiasm and drive, is exactly what our hungry young group needed and wants.

I imagine it would be an exciting project for him, Carlton saying here are 20 or so players aged 18-22yo, 15 of them first round draftees, let’s turn them into AFL footballers and see how good they can become.

Not IMO

For now, only Silvagni has proved himself to me. Not Bolton, not LLoyd, not Liddle and certainly not Russell.
You always get a spike when someone new comes to a club. The enthusiasm, the want to believe, the 'hope' etc. Happens every time, doesn't it?

Not making any claim to say Russell isn't any good nor progressed in his profession, but there's also always some new that usurps the old and a new name is anointed the guru.

BTW: I liked the way Russell went about his business and the short sharp instructions and advice he gave the players. good on him.

Soapy V

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 17, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
I know you probably already know this but it is worth also pointing out that he was in charge of Port's Premiership team before landing at Waverley with Clarko. So he is no one group wonder either.

He's at the very pointy end of his field and a real coup to get him. Nobody is infallible but he is unquestionably a big advantage for this playing group. Which by the sounds of it you are witnessing.

Apparently he is just all in. Never stops learning and really studying new concepts etc. very much works on the mental side as well.

Players are learning so much

Nov 13, 2015
In Transit
AFL Club
Carlton

And Essendon in 2000

Soapy V

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 17, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
I've tended to go watch the Northern Blues more in the last couple of seasons, and I've always watched Cuningham closely as I reckon he could be a cracker. Racehorse/greyhound is a thought I've had more than once. Aside from Liam Jones screamers, one of the best sights at PCO has been Cuningham sharking taps at full pelt, or bursting out of stoppages. When he's on a game it's beautiful. Sadly, however, those games are too few, and he can go missing for looong periods. Encouragingly, he did build into some strong form at one point which saw him rewarded, but then fell to a niggle and it never translated to the ones. Will watch him closely, and it could go either way, but I really hope this one can reach his potential. Players who can make you gasp don't grow on trees.

I’m looking forward to seeing the NBs this year

no need to defend your ideas, soap - shaky little handbrakers are everywhere and will always play the "who knows" game - it's their opinion or nobodies....

Soapy hand handle himself and doesn't require your assistance of saying nothing to everyone.

What use is a remark like that in a discussion? No use at all.

murphster

Premiership Player
Oct 2, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Steelers,Dodgers,Casey Stoner
Cuners is not really a natural ball winner, has long periods where struggles to get involved. Needs to start as a tagger, on the likes of a Gaff/Hill.

They will take him to the ball, then he can use his speed to pull away from the contest
Yep that’s exactly how they used LOB in the last part of the year and he played much better and got more of the ball doing that so Cunners would be another good option to run with oppo wingman.

Soapy V

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 17, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Soapy hand handle himself and doesn't require your assistance of saying nothing to everyone.

What use is a remark like that in a discussion? No use at all.

It was just a bit of fun and stirring Harks. And you're right I can handle myself but I just take it as good discussion/debate and nothing more. Your opinion is always appreciated even though I don't always agree ;)

BSilvagni moves around like a black belt. carries himself like someone who's been at the club for 10 years. :)
Have to give it to him though, he did back things up with some smart pieces of play and some good kicking. He's a funny one to me.
Based upon what I saw he's a lot better than your average Pick 70.........and surprisingly well physically developed someone who played a limited amount of TAC Cup. I suspect there was...... Get a couple of years of footy into him and I feel pretty confident he'll be a best 22 player. Intelligent kid who's his own person and not at all weighed down by the Silvagni legacy. I like him.
Fisher stood out for me. Athletic, skillfull and clean. Another big jump in performance this year I’m thinking.
His vision and disposal is what sets him apart. Has some genuine zing off the boot. He's one you can confidently say will join Cripps as an A-Grader.
TSG, TSG, TSG...
Didn't get to go today. Too busy slinging loads to a 250t mobile crane. Maybe next week. Besides, I think it's tremendous to hear other people's reports and thoughts. Love it.
Cuningham strikes me as a racehorse type. Blinkers on, blinkers off, tongue tie on, winkers on, nose roll on, nose roll off etc... The club knows he has enormous talent but just can’t put their finger on what his natural position is and need to keep trying different scenarios until it clicks.
Needs a foot in the arse my friend. Although I suspect that conversation has already been had.

Nov 4, 2003
Earth, near Carlton.
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
http://www.carltonfc.com.au/news/2019-01-11/gallery-january-11

Ed, Crippa and Murph looking mighty lean; Fasolo, Newman and Owies finally starting to get a bit leaner.

McKay also looks so much more assured about his place in the team and showing this via the way he goes about his marking and kicking.
Had Walsh baffled in one instance as to what he was going to do. Good thing Walsh didn't fall over for the tricks Mckay was showing him. :)
Along with Charlie, has a real presence about him although we know he's still some time away from developing that strong core.
It doesn't take that long to build muscle and condition it. You can see that very clearly now under Russell.

I recall Buttifant coming to Carlton as a guru and taking over training sessions at times, when Malthouse was at the helm.
Not saying we're going to see the same thing again, but I really would hold back just a little on Russell, as it always starts off in a 'he'll do this and he'll do that' sort of way but can come undone pretty quickly also.

It doesn't matter for what noise may be coming out of the club just yet and we know that newbies get the keys to the city early on.
Only time will tell just how good Russell is and how well he melds in with our coaches........and it's way too early to call him 'The difference' just yet.
Not IMO

Exactly.

Back