2019 Training Reports

armpit

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 8, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
When Fyfe and blakely come back I hope sonny goes into the forward line and then we might see some crumbing magic.

Thanks for the training reports, especially the ones in bullet mode.

Halfbaked

Club Legend
Apr 18, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
At risk of moving into the Lyon hater group, this genuinely amazes and confuses me. I know he said after the game we went long too much but after years of doing that exact same thing and the way the players seemed to have it drilled into them that they kick long to the top of the square on every single entry, I am amazed that this is an actual focus of change and not the actual plan.

I honestly will not care if we get belted on poor skill turnovers into the 50 this week if it means I see the vast majority of entries are trying to hit a forward that is in a 1v1 or in space...

Really should just be the memo for the game. At no stage do you go long to the top of the square. Try to hit a target or kick goal regardless of the result.
To be fair Ross looked as bemused at the end as the rest of us. They are trying to fix the problem. To be really fair the ball movement and forward line is totally different to last year.

Last edited:

Halfbaked

Club Legend
Apr 18, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
20190308_105108.jpg
20190308_105037.jpg

Tabs practicing marking, while being wacked.
Why didn't they have these while i played.

elsleevador

All Australian
Aug 13, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
A long time ago, I did a bit of coaching.
The most successful teams run hard/sprint to create space for their team mates which helps the team massively.
If you have new players/players trying to get picked best 22, none of them want to sacrifice this hard running to benefit the team as they don’t think it will be noticed by the coaches. They all want a bag!
This is why time, trust and knowledge of your team mates is paramount.
Give it time.
I hate to say it but West Coast are great at this, as were Richmond and the dogs.
When our guys, with youth in their side, learn this all important craft, things will be rosie

M_rash

Club Legend
Jan 20, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
The most successful teams run hard/sprint to create space for their team mates which helps the team massively.
If you have new players/players trying to get picked best 22, none of them want to sacrifice this hard running to benefit the team as they don’t think it will be noticed by the coaches. They all want a bag!
Give it time.
I hate to say it but West Coast are great at this, as were Richmond and the dogs.
When our guys, with youth in their side, learn this all important craft, things will be rosie
What do you reckon are some of the better ways to teach them this?

* Drag from field and have a word on the bench?

* Have team mates/senior players pull them up and “educate” them on the spot?

* Address the issue at the quarter time breaks?

* Drop them to the ressies if they keep doing it?

* “Train” it for 30minutes once a week and cross fingers it improves?

Personally, I just don’t understand why it’s so hard to not lead into the same spot. Or to keep leading to create space behind for someone else to lead into. Hold your position so you don’t drag your opponent into somebody else’s space.

You see most other teams doing it. Show some vision, pull them up, drop them to Peel - shouldn’t take years to instill the right behaviours. Haha massive gripe of mine - it does my head in.

Are our players really that dumb dumb? Are our coaches really not good at setting expectations and making players accountable? Either option is frustrating.

Hopefully we sort it out quickly this year and we can complain about something else instead. Like why our half backs don’t run and carry enough!

JammoMonty

Club Legend
Oct 1, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Give it time.

Bell needs to convince Longmuir to return to the club for next season.
View attachment 631578View attachment 631579
Tabs practicing marking, while being wacked.
Why didn't they have these while i played.

It’s all mental with Tabs, hears footsteps and closes the eyes and begins to pray... “Dear little baby Jesus, I know I’m 6”6 and over 💯 kegs, but please don’t let this smaller defender hurt me...” 🙏 FFS

Wally Walpamur

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 23, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
I disagree that it’s that easy as saying leaduo forward to drag your opponent to create more space. Except for centre bounces, most teams will have 12-16 players flood the 50 so at best you’re dragging two more outside 50, then you’re still stuck with the same problem. Quicker ball movement to not allow the opposition to flood is the key IMO.

M_rash

Club Legend
Jan 20, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
I disagree that it’s that easy as saying leaduo forward to drag your opponent to create more space. Except for centre bounces, most teams will have 12-16 players flood the 50 so at best you’re dragging two more outside 50, then you’re still stuck with the same problem. Quicker ball movement to not allow the opposition to flood is the key IMO.
But even when we do that, we often have two or three players leading to the same place and stuff it up. The extended lead is most important in these circumstances, otherwise you just end up filling in the space. Should be easy to fix... but been saying that for a couple of years now.

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
Should be easy to fix... but been saying that for a couple of years now.
We have had massive instability in our forward make up. Taberner often injured and required as second ruck, Kersten and McCarthy disappointing. Walters required midfield. Bennell unavailable. Ballantyne in decline.

I am not sure what kind of easy fix you would be expecting in that kind of situation.

I am happy with the fix that goes;
  • Get Hogan and Lobb into the forward line.
  • See who works best with them out of Cox/Taberner/McCarthy.
  • Bring in some new small forwards to plonk at their feet.
  • Develop a mix of strategies for our forward entries.
  • Improve delivery into the forward 50.
  • Use Pearce and Logue to block the marking exits and create repeat entries.
I really think the club's tactics are not that difficult to see despite them not coming together in the JLT1 game, with a semi-fit Hogan, an early injury to Switkowski and Lobb required in the ruck. I also don't think club's reveal their moves for the world to see during pre-season games.

M_rash

Club Legend
Jan 20, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
We have had massive instability in our forward make up. Taberner often injured and required as second ruck, Kersten and McCarthy disappointing. Walters required midfield. Bennell unavailable. Ballantyne in decline.

I am not sure what kind of easy fix you would be expecting in that kind of situation.

I am happy with the fix that goes;
  • Get Hogan and Lobb into the forward line.
  • See who works best with them out of Cox/Taberner/McCarthy.
  • Bring in some new small forwards to plonk at their feet.
  • Develop a mix of strategies for our forward entries.
  • Improve delivery into the forward 50.
  • Use Pearce and Logue to block the marking exits and create repeat entries.
I really think the club's tactics are not that difficult to see despite them not coming together in the JLT1 game, with a semi-fit Hogan, an early injury to Switkowski and Lobb required in the ruck. I also don't think club's reveal their moves for the world to see during pre-season games.
Agree with all that. The easy fix I refer to is that players stop leading into the same place. It’s U15’s kinda stuff really.

But players probably get away with it because we haven’t had competition for spots, and a somewhat reluctant match committee to make too many changes.

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
Agree with all that. The easy fix I refer to is that players stop leading into the same place. It’s U15’s kinda stuff really.

But players probably get away with it because we haven’t had competition for spots, and a somewhat reluctant match committee to make too many changes.
They just need half a dozen games together I reckon.

Scham

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2004
AFL Club
Fremantle

It is U15 stuff. But our players aren’t that stupid, they’re all quality footballers, and they’d clearly know all of that stuff, they would’ve been taught it since U15’s. So I blame the lack of instinct allowed. And the obvious strictness to follow the team instruction which is also flawed.

Scham

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2004
AFL Club
Fremantle
Taking a moment to consider your options at AFL level is all well and good when you don't have a player with his hand on your jumper, we already get caught holding the ball either the most or near most of any club in the AFL.

Too slow? Thinking too much? Thinking too long? Too daring? Unfairly treated by umps? They’re the only reasons for that, none of which positive. Luckily all bar the last are fixable.

Back