2019 Training Reports

AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Freo and Bulldogs, ManU
My hope for this is that Fyfe plays like Fyfe, he will probably get most opposition attention but Brayshaw is quite dynamic and sharp in his movement and I think he could be our best avenue out of the stoppages.

..As long as our plan every ruck contest isn't to drop it at the ruckman's feet then block a bit of space to allow one of our mids to slip by and off with it.

The tap to space might be on the cards if Colyer is in the stoppage, but I think we will still get the long bomb to turnover there. Do we have a quick player who can find a handball after getting into space?

This is Blakely's forte...and was one reason I wasn't as concerned as some about losing Neale.

Conor's first 3 steps out of the contest are quick and aggressive. He clears the contest very quickly and is very creative by hand. He could get the ball as much as Neal in time but I think he'll be a more creative option

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Freo and Bulldogs, ManU
I agree Walters should be played forward.

I was referencing Taylor’s question as to whether we had mids quick enough to spread from the stoppage if the ball spilled into space. I think Ross is on the record more than once this preseason bemoaning the impact that Blakely and Hill’s injuries will have on the midfield, especially around stoppages.

If Bennell or Hill was fit enough to play that role we could release Walters back to the forward line as we wouldn’t be as desperate for his skills and class on the ball.
I would do it anyway.

Fyfe, Mundy, Conca, Colyer, Bewley, Brayshaw, Cerra, North, B Hill, Langdon, Giro, Tucker, Crowden, Banfield, Valente.

We have enough talent to get it done.

Let's kick some goals

arsesmart

Senior List
AFL Club
Fremantle
The problem is that Walters is some premium midfield ass, no matter how good he is in the forwards. Mids is where most of the action takes place and the biggest difference can be made. Plus Freo's greatest need right now is mid. He'll be a mix mid-forward until there's more depth in the mids.

M_rash

Club Legend
AFL Club
Fremantle
The problem is that Walters is some premium midfield ass, no matter how good he is in the forwards. Mids is where most of the action takes place and the biggest difference can be made. Plus Freo's greatest need right now is mid. He'll be a mix mid-forward until there's more depth in the mids.
Pretty sure Ross said in his presser this week that Conca in should release Walters forward much more.

Walters is a handy midfielder but a star forward. Had quite a few of his tackles broken when in the centre last week - can’t really afford that as an “inside mid”. Just wish Freo would play their “Aces in their Places”. Walters forward. Cerra mid. Would be a handy start.

arsesmart

Senior List
AFL Club
Fremantle
What's not to love (other than having one less Walters in the forwards)? Plugging that sort creativity, vision for the game, contested reflexes and precise ball use into the midfield adds so much.

If you're really worried about tackles being broken you could put a Conca (or DeBoer in days gone passed). Nothing too wrong with that, but you're sacrificing all of the above.

gaskin

Premium Platinum
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
LFC, Glory, Wests, Seahawks
If Walters can play 20 games as a permanent forward, is he likely to kick 40 goals?
Yes, IMO. Especially now that we have a plethora of talls that he can crumb off. If he played a full season as a small forward, I don't see why he couldn't kick somewhere in the region of 35-40 goals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

wayToGo_

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Fremantle
Yes, IMO. Especially now that we have a plethora of talls that he can crumb off. If he played a full season as a small forward, I don't see why he couldn't kick somewhere in the region of 35-40 goals.
Is Walters a good crumbing forward though? Maybe my memory is vague with having so few talls in our forward line for the past decade but I just don't recall him getting that many crumbing at the feet of a tall? I think that's been Ballas' role in the past. Walters has always been a lead up forward who uses his evasiveness to get clear shots on goal.

I still think we can get the best of both worlds with Walters. Rotate him between midfield and the forward line. He said himself when he shifted to the midfield in 2017 that he felt more dangerous and was scoring more playing as a mid than he was as a forward. We couldn't play both Neale and Walters in the middle in 2018 and I think it became messy. Now Neale is gone I think we can get the balance right with him playing mid again.

It would be nice if we were giving that deep crumbing forward role to someone other than a 31 year old who slips over all the time and is far from elite with pressure? I support the club on most things, I do not get the thinking at all on that one...

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
If our midfield is under-resourced then he probably doesn't. If we get the repeat inside 50's we got in JLT1 then probably. These things are connected.

Superkoops

Club Legend
AFL Club
Fremantle
Upcoming Training Times:
Wednesday 13 March at 10.30am at Victor George Kailis Oval.
Friday 15 March at 9.40am at Victor George Kailis Oval.
Thanks

RTB referred to a few players involved in a Peel hit out this weekend. RTB specifically mentioned Darcy and Conca. Probably worth McCarthy having a run as well.

There aren’t any official WAFL PS games scheduled this weekend?

“WAFL pre-season games will be played on the last two weekends (23/3 & 30/3) of March.”

https://thewest.com.au/sport/wafl/w...serves-even-the-competition-up-ng-b881042716z

Any idea who Peel are playing this Sat/Sun for a scratchy?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

AFL Club
Fremantle
Pretty sure Ross said in his presser this week that Conca in should release Walters forward much more.

Walters is a handy midfielder but a star forward. Had quite a few of his tackles broken when in the centre last week - can’t really afford that as an “inside mid”. Just wish Freo would play their “Aces in their Places”. Walters forward. Cerra mid. Would be a handy start.
I kinda agree with aces in the places...but I really want to see just once at least, a centre bounce with Darcy/Sandi, Fyfe, Hogan and Logue... just to see what sort of damage and carnage they would cause :drunk:

Ysaye

Premiership Player
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
I kinda agree with aces in the places...but I really want to see just once at least, a centre bounce with Darcy/Sandi, Fyfe, Hogan and Logue... just to see what sort of damage and carnage they would cause :drunk:
Sadly I can only see this as likely being another Rhys Palmer meets Michael Barlow kind of impact.

Cesoir

Debutant
AFL Club
Fremantle
Hard to tell the main group from the rehab guys this morning :D

I'll probably miss some, but from memory it was:

Bennell - walking and slow jogging pretty gingerly - kicking both feet and just amazing to watch​
Sandilands - first time I've seen him since Christmas. Hard to tell, but doesn't look to be limping and looks in reasonable nick​
Taberner - walking and slow jogging​
Logue - doesn't look to bad, doing running and agility work. If he's not round 1 he won't be far off​
Blakely - coming along, hard to say how far away but seems in good spirits​
S Hill - focused a lot on kicking, initially with a tennis ball (amazing!) then a footy. Looks OK but not sure how far away​
Cox - walked laps with Brad Hill - probably a good couple of weeks off​
B Hill - walked laps with Cox, limping a bit but he reckons he'll be right for round 1​
Dixon - didn't look to be too badly hampered to me, maybe a week or two from joining back in​
Kersten - another I haven't seen for a while. Didn't look too bad, but he never looks to be running hard at the best of times - hard to tell​
Switkowski - doing lots of running, but still a bit hampered by the looks. He looks like a bloke desperate to get back and working his butt off​
Valente - walked and jogged laps, not sure what's going on with him. He was taking a pot shot at goals every lap, so doesn't look bad to me​

wild side

Premiership Player
AFL Club
Fremantle
Bennell - walking and slow jogging pretty gingerly - kicking both feet and just amazing to watch​
Sandilands - first time I've seen him since Christmas. Hard to tell, but doesn't look to be limping and looks in reasonable nick​
Logue - doesn't look to bad, doing running and agility work. If he's not round 1 he won't be far off​
S Hill - focused a lot on kicking, initially with a tennis ball (amazing!) then a footy. Looks OK but not sure how far away​
B Hill - walked laps with Cox, limping a bit but he reckons he'll be right for round 1​
Dixon - didn't look to be too badly hampered to me, maybe a week or two from joining back in​
Kersten - another I haven't seen for a while. Didn't look too bad, but he never looks to be running hard at the best of times - hard to tell​
Switkowski - doing lots of running, but still a bit hampered by the looks. He looks like a bloke desperate to get back and working his butt off​
Valente - walked and jogged laps, not sure what's going on with him. He was taking a pot shot at goals every lap, so doesn't look bad to me​
So there is no real long term shit apart from Bennell

Superkoops

Club Legend
AFL Club
Fremantle
I can understand the TBC for Bennell and Sandilands and potentially SHill as well.

Test for BHill and Fyfe sounds about right.

But real frustration surrounds the lack of timeframe for the hamstring injuries and add Kersten who more than a month ago tore the fascia and was supposed to be only out for a week or two. Unique and complex no doubt.

Surely they can provide some timeframes on:
Blakely (Hamstring)
Logue (Hamstring)
Cox (Hamstring)
Swita (Hamstring)
Tabs (Hamstring)

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

rgauci

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
DOCKERS
Hard to tell the main group from the rehab guys this morning :D

I'll probably miss some, but from memory it was:

Hogan ok?

Cesoir

Debutant
AFL Club
Fremantle
So there is no real long term shit apart from Bennell
Not on the surface, but I don't like to get my hopes up too high! The ones that might be a worry are Sandi and Steve Hill based on the frequency of recurrence from them both. I was actually encouraged by the way Bennell looked today, but I am definitely not getting excited about him yet. My fervent hope is we get him fit enough to play as a fairly stationary small / medium forward.

Top Bottom