2019 Training Reports

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AFL Club
Fremantle
Was a warm one down at training today, but the boys seemed in great spirits, didn't seem to be too serious out there and I think the main takeaway at the end of it is that Hogan is absolutely loved by everyone, every fan there was scrambling for a photo and an autograph and he looked like he was having a great time. Had a few chats with a couple of the lads and it seems that Logue is definitely back this week for Peel, which he's stoked about, and Blakely is also definitely back but he was more coy about whether he'd be playing for Peel or not, so definitely watch that space. Few points I noted while not being overly serious about watching the training was Andy was having serious chats with Ross about something away from the main group, not sure what that would've been about but they seemed to be having a pretty in depth talk about something. Connor's clearance work in a few drills was top class, getting the ball inside and breaking away to deliver some really well weighted passes, which has been a downside of his game in past. Logue was also in that same drill, and was swinging long 20 meter handballs out wide to runners like Duman, who'd then deliver inside 50. We seemed to be keeping the eyes down and hitting Hogan on the lead from 30-40 out, but hitting the top of the square for people like Lobb and Jones. Not sure if that's been a directive but that seemed to be the trend of the day.
Something else people are probably happy to hear is Tabs spent most of the day taking pot shots at goal (wasn't massively successful though I might add).
Unfortunately the rehab group were a fair distance from where I was so I couldn't really make out what they were doing, and Harley and Kersten were both on the far side of the oval doing light run throughs and looking pretty worse for wear from what I could see.
Overall though it was a great day, me and my Mum got down to have a squizz and the mood was really upbeat, and some of those lads will have sore wrists for weeks from the amount of autographs they were dishing out, but always doing it with a smile and laugh with the kids which was great.

AFL Club
Fremantle
Was a warm one down at training today, but the boys seemed in great spirits, didn't seem to be too serious out there and I think the main takeaway at the end of it is that Hogan is absolutely loved by everyone, every fan there was scrambling for a photo and an autograph and he looked like he was having a great time. Had a few chats with a couple of the lads and it seems that Logue is definitely back this week for Peel, which he's stoked about, and Blakely is also definitely back but he was more coy about whether he'd be playing for Peel or not, so definitely watch that space. Few points I noted while not being overly serious about watching the training was Andy was having serious chats with Ross about something away from the main group, not sure what that would've been about but they seemed to be having a pretty in depth talk about something. Connor's clearance work in a few drills was top class, getting the ball inside and breaking away to deliver some really well weighted passes, which has been a downside of his game in past. Logue was also in that same drill, and was swinging long 20 meter handballs out wide to runners like Duman, who'd then deliver inside 50. We seemed to be keeping the eyes down and hitting Hogan on the lead from 30-40 out, but hitting the top of the square for people like Lobb and Jones. Not sure if that's been a directive but that seemed to be the trend of the day.
Something else people are probably happy to hear is Tabs spent most of the day taking pot shots at goal (wasn't massively successful though I might add).
Unfortunately the rehab group were a fair distance from where I was so I couldn't really make out what they were doing, and Harley and Kersten were both on the far side of the oval doing light run throughs and looking pretty worse for wear from what I could see.
Overall though it was a great day, me and my Mum got down to have a squizz and the mood was really upbeat, and some of those lads will have sore wrists for weeks from the amount of autographs they were dishing out, but always doing it with a smile and laugh with the kids which was great.
Thanks for the update, did have a little laugh at Tabs, I honestly dont see it changing, its an almost completely mental thing. I reckon it will be almost pot luck if he turns his goal kicking around

AFL Club
Fremantle
Thanks for the update, did have a little laugh at Tabs, I honestly dont see it changing, its an almost completely mental thing. I reckon it will be almost pot luck if he turns his goal kicking around
He was working with Bewley toward the end of training who was stepping out his run up and manning the mark, not sure if he's got a really good routine or something, Tabs was looking pretty frustrated by the end of the day and he's only getting into his own head the more he misses unfortunately.

AFL Club
Fremantle
He was working with Bewley toward the end of training who was stepping out his run up and manning the mark, not sure if he's got a really good routine or something, Tabs was looking pretty frustrated by the end of the day and he's only getting into his own head the more he misses unfortunately.
Yeah, I would have expected as much to be honest, it will take a game out of the blue where he kicks his first 3 on the trot or something to fix it I think. Mayne had the same problem and basically had to be made a midfielder for it to work. Given the mental side isnt Tabs strongpoint, I think we will be cursing his set shots for a while

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
Andy was having serious chats with Ross about something away from the main group, not sure what that would've been about but they seemed to be having a pretty in depth talk about something.

Something else people are probably happy to hear is Tabs spent most of the day taking pot shots at goal
ANDY; Coach, some bloke on bigfooty reckons we should be practicing skills.

LYON; They need to put more effort into their posting.

ANDY; I just thought you being a deep thinker....

LYON; What the hell is Tabs wasting his time doing that for?

ANDY; anyhooo, might go do some sprints.

Dockernut

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Sharks. Anyone playing West Coast.
It’s so weird. I remember Tabs used to be a very reliable set shot. I have faith he will turn it around.
The whole Tabs yips thing baffles me a bit. I always remember back in my ammo days you just had to concentrate on kicking through the ball and not trying to complicate it. It’s all about contact for mine. As soon as you start trying to nurse dinky kicks or snap where it isn’t necessary, you generally **** up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bicco

Club Legend
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Fremantle, Socceroos
The whole Tabs yips thing baffles me a bit. I always remember back in my ammo days you just had to concentrate on kicking through the ball and not trying to complicate it. It’s all about contact for mine. As soon as you start trying to nurse dinky kicks or snap where it isn’t necessary, you generally **** up.
I recently 'lost' my golf swing and it took 5 weeks to get it back. Main thing was getting the tempo of the swing correct. I reckon Tabs is just around the corner from a bag. Once he has faith in a routine he'll be fine. He needs to get in front of the goals with a bag of balls and keep kicking until he finds his groove. Every sports person on every level that needs to perform a repeatable goes through what he's going through. In extreme cases (Brett Ogle) it is career ending but Tabs will be fine IMO.
Nice haircut too.

Ysaye

Premiership Player
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
I recently 'lost' my golf swing and it took 5 weeks to get it back. Main thing was getting the tempo of the swing correct. I reckon Tabs is just around the corner from a bag. Once he has faith in a routine he'll be fine. He needs to get in front of the goals with a bag of balls and keep kicking until he finds his groove. Every sports person on every level that needs to perform a repeatable goes through what he's going through. In extreme cases (Brett Ogle) it is career ending but Tabs will be fine IMO.
Nice haircut too.
I agree that these kinds of things are generally something where you need to work on the timing; although I don't play tennis much anymore I still am able to get a decent serve up and going quickly and what I concentrate on is timing and position of body at those time points. It sounds a bit crackpot but I find if I count out time in my head (as one does when playing music) and then cognitively observe mechanically stuff happening at particularly points in the count.

Routine routine routine....

Top Bottom