(Log in to remove this ad.)

FreoRicci

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Washington Wizards
Training Today:
Very short session in wet and windy conditions. Mainly just circle work and a small amount of match sims which was ok considering the weather. Sandilands made a brief appearance running laps, no S Hill or Kersten. Harley participated in all activities and he sure does tease you with his skill. Looks as fit as he is going to get so the next few weeks will tell the story. Blakely trained solidly and looks ready to play, I think he will. Fyfe didn't have his black sleave on so maybe thats the end of that, he looked sharp as he always does, same with Mundy and Walters. There was a brief period of kicking for goal and I would love to say it was better than last week, but it wasn't. I dont know if they have other sessions where they practice this, but if they don't, they should. It was wet and windy but the shots were terrible and from pretty close to goal. Taberner was having extra ruck training which suggests Darcy won't be playing. I think they have to play him soon. There was some kicking into packs with the forwards leading at the kicker but they seem intent on kicking to the back of the pack, Hogan made some great leads and was ignored each time, I find that strange. Speaking of Hogan he, as always, was one of the last to leave the track and did some marking practice jumping up on the blocking pads. He is working hard and is only a matter of time before he takes hold of a game. Will be very interesting to see the list this afternoon, I'm tipping there will be some changes. Blakely to come in, McCarthy to add pace to the forward line, probably at Cox's expense. Blakely if he plays could replace either Conca or Colyer. I didn't notice anyone carrying an injury so I don't think there will be more than two changes but apparently Rossy was very unhappy with last weeks loss and he may look at other changes. I'm tipping us again. Cheers
That's frustrating regarding Hogan's leading being ignored. Obviously a key gameplan directive, to try and kick over the pack. Hogan training like he's playing for Melbourne, which is what forwards should do anyway. Ignoring the leads to try and get a play happening behind is alot of the problem over the past two weeks. Did Ross or coaches stop training to spray them etc?

Bicco

Club Legend
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Fremantle, Socceroos
I wish they would bring Harley straight into the team. Then we could watch him do what he does better than most at least for a while.
In a world with soccer type substitutions. Everyone is knackered and he comes on with 15 mins to go to do what he does.

AFL Club
Fremantle
Training Today:
Very short session in wet and windy conditions. Mainly just circle work and a small amount of match sims which was ok considering the weather. Sandilands made a brief appearance running laps, no S Hill or Kersten. Harley participated in all activities and he sure does tease you with his skill. Looks as fit as he is going to get so the next few weeks will tell the story. Blakely trained solidly and looks ready to play, I think he will. Fyfe didn't have his black sleave on so maybe thats the end of that, he looked sharp as he always does, same with Mundy and Walters. There was a brief period of kicking for goal and I would love to say it was better than last week, but it wasn't. I dont know if they have other sessions where they practice this, but if they don't, they should. It was wet and windy but the shots were terrible and from pretty close to goal. Taberner was having extra ruck training which suggests Darcy won't be playing. I think they have to play him soon. There was some kicking into packs with the forwards leading at the kicker but they seem intent on kicking to the back of the pack, Hogan made some great leads and was ignored each time, I find that strange. Speaking of Hogan he, as always, was one of the last to leave the track and did some marking practice jumping up on the blocking pads. He is working hard and is only a matter of time before he takes hold of a game. Will be very interesting to see the list this afternoon, I'm tipping there will be some changes. Blakely to come in, McCarthy to add pace to the forward line, probably at Cox's expense. Blakely if he plays could replace either Conca or Colyer. I didn't notice anyone carrying an injury so I don't think there will be more than two changes but apparently Rossy was very unhappy with last weeks loss and he may look at other changes. I'm tipping us again. Cheers
Brilliant Reports. Great work, need to recognise this effort and compliment it more than just a like. Cheers

FreoMonocle

Premium Gold
AFL Club
Fremantle
That's frustrating regarding Hogan's leading being ignored. Obviously a key gameplan directive, to try and kick over the pack. Hogan training like he's playing for Melbourne, which is what forwards should do anyway. Ignoring the leads to try and get a play happening behind is alot of the problem over the past two weeks. Did Ross or coaches stop training to spray them etc?
As far as practice goes... Is giving one man marking practice - and from the sounds of it uncontested and therefore relatively easy, a good use of time when you have several people there?

If he got free on a lead, he's done his bit, he'd earn a biscuit or two from the coach for being a good boy. For the ball going at/near/over/under/around the pack, that's a chance to work on structure and drill into the squad that you don't all need to go for the ball at once - which is something we've shown needs work.

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
As far as practice goes... Is giving one man marking practice - and from the sounds of it uncontested and therefore relatively easy, a good use of time when you have several people there?

If he got free on a lead, he's done his bit, he'd earn a biscuit or two from the coach for being a good boy. For the ball going at/near/over/under/around the pack, that's a chance to work on structure and drill into the squad that you don't all need to go for the ball at once - which is something we've shown needs work.
We badly need to practice doing the obvious, which in this case is hitting up the guy on the lead. We really don't want Hogan to be a decoy for the kick to the guy at the back of the pack.

FreoMonocle

Premium Gold
AFL Club
Fremantle
We badly need to practice doing the obvious, which in this case is hitting up the guy on the lead. We really don't want Hogan to be a decoy for the kick to the guy at the back of the pack.
You miss the point Gav. As far as practice goes in that situation, he needs less practice at taking the mark when he has separation than the rest of the team does in working out it's positioning. What would be an uncontested mark for him in this situation is a relatively straightforward proposition - it is just marking (which they do in various sims). That does not mean that on game day he is nothing more than a decoy, that would be silly.

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
You miss the point Gav. As far as practice goes in that situation, he needs less practice at taking the mark when he has separation than the rest of the team does in working out it's positioning. What would be an uncontested mark for him in this situation is a relatively straightforward proposition - it is just marking (which they do in various sims). That does not mean that on game day he is nothing more than a decoy, that would be silly.
Missing the point would likely be a step forward for our side at the moment.

I think our delivery to the forwards is the bit that needs the most work, not Hogan's marking. And sadly, with our delivery, we are still likely to get heaps of practice for the deliveries going "at/near/over/under/around the pack".

AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Manchester City, Boston Bruins.
Right on there Gav.
Accurate delivery is nonexistent as soon as we are under pressure which means of course that the pressure just builds and builds.
Hogan appears to me to lose his concentration through lack of service.
Still they have two or three jumping for the same ball and spoiling each other.
Surely that should have been coached out of them by now ?

JBMAN

Premium Platinum
AFL Club
Fremantle
Training Today.
Well what a difference in the weather today, absolutely beautiful. There was some announcement in the middle at the start of training that drew the biggest applause I have seen out there. Can only assume it was announcing Harleys first game this week. Fingers and toes crossed, he has looked incredible the last two weeks. Also out there and in full training was Stephen Hill who looks to be ahead of schedule, looked pretty sharp considering the lay off. Sandilands was out running but looks way off a start at this stage. Saw Kersten on the sidelines at one stage but didn't notice him training. Training was all end to end and circle work which looked pretty good, but, and here's the but. They had a few short periods shooting for goal from about 30 - 40 metres out, in perfect conditions and although better than last week in the wet, was average at best and the worst offender was Hogan. I saw him take maybe 10 - 12 shots and he missed everyone of them, he looked unhappy with himself. He also recieved treatment a few times for what looked like a hip or groin problem and did several run throughs in front of one of the conditioning guys. He seemed ok afterwards. The other player who kicked poorly was Mitch Crowden. The rest were ok Harley was good at this and also the field kicking. Just hope he can hold together for awhile now. Didn't see Mundy but after the amount of work he has done he needs a bit of a rest. Blakely is looking better for the run and I expect him to really lift in the coming weeks. Didn't see much ruck work being done so no clue to what they will do in finding relief for Lobb who also trained well. Hate to think what would happen if he went down. Logue looks very good now and must be coming under selection notice. Almost forgot Ballantyne he was in full training and really extended himself at times. Looks ready to go. Overall training was good but quite low key and mainly working on ball movement again.
There was no kicking into the forward line similations today which considering recent failure in this area, surprises me.
Hoping for a win. Cheers

(Log in to remove this ad.)

freo_leo29

Premiership Player
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Fremantle
Training Today.
Well what a difference in the weather today, absolutely beautiful. There was some announcement in the middle at the start of training that drew the biggest applause I have seen out there. Can only assume it was announcing Harleys first game this week. Fingers and toes crossed, he has looked incredible the last two weeks. Also out there and in full training was Stephen Hill who looks to be ahead of schedule, looked pretty sharp considering the lay off. Sandilands was out running but looks way off a start at this stage. Saw Kersten on the sidelines at one stage but didn't notice him training. Training was all end to end and circle work which looked pretty good, but, and here's the but. They had a few short periods shooting for goal from about 30 - 40 metres out, in perfect conditions and although better than last week in the wet, was average at best and the worst offender was Hogan. I saw him take maybe 10 - 12 shots and he missed everyone of them, he looked unhappy with himself. He also recieved treatment a few times for what looked like a hip or groin problem and did several run throughs in front of one of the conditioning guys. He seemed ok afterwards. The other player who kicked poorly was Mitch Crowden. The rest were ok Harley was good at this and also the field kicking. Just hope he can hold together for awhile now. Didn't see Mundy but after the amount of work he has done he needs a bit of a rest. Blakely is looking better for the run and I expect him to really lift in the coming weeks. Didn't see much ruck work being done so no clue to what they will do in finding relief for Lobb who also trained well. Hate to think what would happen if he went down. Logue looks very good now and must be coming under selection notice. Almost forgot Ballantyne he was in full training and really extended himself at times. Looks ready to go. Overall training was good but quite low key and mainly working on ball movement again.
There was no kicking into the forward line similations today which considering recent failure in this area, surprises me.
Hoping for a win. Cheers
Thanks for the report!

I think the cheer was for Stephen Hill being picked up in the mid-season draft and joining training (Seen on Freos Instagram)

Looked like Hogan stayed out late and did some extra set shot practice too, theres a video floating around on Twitter, hopefully managed to kick atleast 1!

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
Saw Austin Robertson has offered to come in and teach our forwards how to kick for goal. Could do a whole lot worse.
Forwards need to put in the time to practice goal kicking, and as Hogan is doing, that is mostly a personal skill, with a little input from a skills coach. We need to improve, and not just Hogan. But I think the main areas we need to improve, and that are less solo in their practice are;
  • forward structure
  • leading patterns
  • delivery to the forward 50
At the moment we have little certainty about what is happening in this regard, but once we get a settled group of players and have them on the field together on a regular basis I am confident that will improve.

Top Bottom