2019 Training Reports

Remove this Banner Ad

This pre-season has a lot if the vibe of 2011/12 to me. I know the demographic of the lists are completely different but we came out of 2011 really underachieving and with the addition of Ross, things just 'clicked' a bit and we went on to surprise a lot of people culminating in that fantastic win over Geelong at the G in the EF.
If Ross can get his messaging right, I think with the additions we've made over the past two years and 'he of suspect calves' (HSC) maybe coming good, I really think we're a sneaky chance to make a bigger impact on the ladder than some people think. I haven't had HSC in any of my best 22 calculations this year. It's a bit like doing your Christmas shopping to budget then finding $200 in your sock drawer.

There may be some truth to this
“Some” being very liberal in it’s truth.

The slight truth may be present with regards to some clay in a generally firm surface. But if I remember correctly Fremantle Oval was situated on top of limestone and so hard it was entirely responsible for all of our injuries.

Ole Crumpets gets himself all flushed and bothered that he likes to fabricate 99% of his stories with total BS. Sure there is something in there that might be loosely related to some truth but it is a minor element for him and he loves to exagerate and bring as much negative into his stories.

He is totally obsessed with having Lyon/Rossich removed and otherwise provides gutter journalism. I have a heap of Eagle mates that can’t stand him either so he just needs to be moved on. 6PR seemed well on their way to doing this by moving to a 3min schedule each morning at 7:55am.

This pre-season has a lot if the vibe of 2011/12 to me. I know the demographic of the lists are completely different but we came out of 2011 really underachieving and with the addition of Ross, things just 'clicked' a bit and we went on to surprise a lot of people culminating in that fantastic win over Geelong at the G in the EF.
If Ross can get his messaging right, I think with the additions we've made over the past two years and 'he of suspect calves' (HSC) maybe coming good, I really think we're a sneaky chance to make a bigger impact on the ladder than some people think. I haven't had HSC in any of my best 22 calculations this year. It's a bit like doing your Christmas shopping to budget then finding $200 in your sock drawer.
I want your sock draw.

The slight truth may be present with regards to some clay in a generally firm surface. But if I remember correctly Fremantle Oval was situated on top of limestone and so hard it was entirely responsible for all of our injuries.

Ole Crumpets gets himself all flushed and bothered that he likes to fabricate 99% of his stories with total BS. Sure there is something in there that might be loosely related to some truth but it is a minor element for him and he loves to exagerate and bring as much negative into his stories.

He is totally obsessed with having Lyon/Rossich removed and otherwise provides gutter journalism. I have a heap of Eagle mates that can’t stand him either so he just needs to be moved on. 6PR seemed well on their way to doing this by moving to a 3min schedule each morning at 7:55am.

He is frustrating to listen to. I chose not to read his articles also

It was before it got turned into a farm.
It did have a lake around there that had some weird man made structures running through it though.
But yeah did you miss the;).

Fred if you were a fish I would have to hide behind a tree to bait up at your pond:).
You are I think referring to Yangebup Lake.That is still there just off Hammond Road and Yangebup Road.The wool scourers were on Hammond road and they pumped the waste water from the scourers into Yangebup lake. The area where the Scourers were, is now an industrial estate.The lake is still there.
That has nothing to do with the Docker area.There is a natural swamp on the ARC area.The Dockers agreed to keep this as a natural wetland area.

It is ridiculous what Kim gets away with; everything is a complete fabrication.
Stephen Hill is running strongly.
Brad Hill was moving close to top speed.
Sean Darcy is completing an individual program.
Adam Cerra has already stated to a group of training watchers that he has been flagged to significantly increase his running load this pre-season; this is precisely what he is doing. There is no injury whatsoever.

Kim Hagdorn was born with two dicks and evidently, one can talk.
Your right Fred Hackdorn has two dicks as he is too silly to only have one.

You are I think referring to Yangebup Lake.That is still there just off Hammond Road and Yangebup Road.The wool scourers were on Hammond road and they pumped the waste water from the scourers into Yangebup lake. The area where the Scourers were, is now an industrial estate.The lake is still there.
That has nothing to do with the Docker area.There is a natural swamp on the ARC area.The Dockers agreed to keep this as a natural wetland area.
The Cockburn council was corrupt as hell.
Who knows what deals they had going on.

The Dockers had nothing to do with keeping a natural wetland area at the ARC site. The Dept of Planning (specifically at the recommendation of my boss when I worked there ) had specified that the area of wetland in the South East corner of the complex be retained as a condition of the arrangements with the approval of the State Planning Commission to provide the land to the City of Cockburn and the Dockers don't own any of the complex but have a leasing arrangement with Cockburn.

Inspection of the historical aerial photos suggests the site has been bushland for it's entire history bar a brief period in the 60's when it was cleared for what was presumably agriculture. Looks like they gave up quickly as by the 70's it was overgown again and remained bushland till the current facility was built.

God knows what the original owner was up to in the wetland area. Some weird parallel embankments that you can see were there in the earliest available pictures (1953) that were still there until recently.

Anyway the clay thing is likely bullshit (the construction era shots show sand: 2015).

Decided to check out training for the first time this pre-season. Wasn't expecting to see any great 'signs' for our next season but found it to be a pretty good session to attend. Lots of people watching and a really nice day for it.

Somewhat good news is we only appear to have a handful in rehab and none of them look as serious as we've had in past pre-seasons. Think Hogan was the only one I didn't spot - he may have made an appearance, I just didn't see him. If Bell hadn't spoken about Hilly I would've assumed he was just on a modified program to build up from - clearly something they need to fix but he was smashing out the laps. Mundy and Walters also on modified programs but I didn't see anything that caused major alarm bells - Walters had a fair bit of strapping but was moving fine. Darcy, Meek, Tucker and someone I didn't recognise under their hat (wasn't Shultz like I first thought - fairly certain it was Colyer now) also just doing running. BHill, Cerra and Conca also did some extra running during the match sims.

Bennell training with the main group, looking unhindered and right in amongst it in match sims is probably the most exciting thing today. He really is a wildcard for us if he can stay on the park. Crossing fingers we can see a transformed forward line with him, Hogan and Lobb all lining up together sometime early in the coming season. That is three pretty massive potential inclusions - particularly Lobb who is simply massive. Didn't notice Rory a lot today but he moves well for a big guy. Tabs looked beast like today and was just a dominant presence in the match sims. Still stuffs around too much with ball in hand down field (seems to always turn toward the boundary line, turning his back on the field) but the good money is still on him being in the team in Round 1. I'm a big fan of Switkowski and he's looking far more comfortable in the team now. Plays intuitively and has some serious wheels when he needs. Ballas on the other hand was woeful. I reckon you could have asked him to hit a barn 25m out today and he would have found a way to miss it. As others have said before Matera looks fitter this pre-season. And anyone thinking McCarthy hasn't trimmed down obviously hasn't seen him in the flesh. He's a long way from Michelangelo's David but heaps better than where he was.

It's probably the first time I have watched match sims at Cockburn where I haven't noticed Fyfe - mainly because he normally just goes into beast mode and you can't take your eyes off him. I think that's a good thing because I get the feeling he is building more slowly this pre-season and this allows others to step up whilst he does. If today was anything to go by I think we'll still see plenty of Sandi next season. Clunked a couple of nice ones inside 50 during match sims.

It was good to see all of our defenders looking fit and ready to go. There was a few body work drills involving Hamling v Duman, Pearce v Logue, Kersten v Ryan, Logue v Nyhuis, Wilson v Carter. So only Watson not involved as he was doing fitness work with Sturt and Valente instead. Ross was watching on and was pretty vocal/critical about them doing the drills as close to what it'd be like in game as possible. As others have said in recent weeks, Ross seems to be more involved at training than he was last pre-season. He has also certainly lost weight but think a picture posted by their media team a few weeks back was a bit misleading :)

Bewley has clearly walked right into the main group as if this isn't his first pre-season. Pretty safe bet he'll be well in the mix for Round 1. Schultz similarly doing a fair bit more with the main group than our 18yo draftees, although he did join them for fitness work later in the session, as did Carter. I didn't see enough of Blakely, Langdon, Cox, Dixon, Banfield, Brayshaw, Crowden, North, Giro and Jones to say anything substantial about any of them. As I said earlier though, they all look like they've done the right thing over the off-season. Brayshaw now has an inside mid body so can't wait to see how much that changes things for him.

As I mentioned a few weeks back we've got a new Senior Strength & Conditioning Coach as of last month. He's the guy directly under Jason Weber and the person directly responsible for injury prevention etc. He's got a PhD in the area of skill acquisition and development (for soccer) but for his honours he looked at the relationship between training load and injuries (for beach volleyball) - and that's where he's done most of his work at West Coast Fever, Perth Glory, Peel and Glenelg before coming to us. Following training the past few weeks (as well as having a look live today) I've definitely noticed a greater emphasis on managing load so I'm hoping this guy is bringing the necessary expertise so we can prepare well for round 1 but without our players all breaking down mid way through the season. Lack of availability has really killed us the past few seasons - I think turning that around could have even more impact than anything else we are currently doing at training.

tl;dr - if you don't want to read my long diatribe then get to training yourself and give us your own better training report :)

Way to go, waytogo! Keep em' coming. This is fantastic.

Inspection of the historical aerial photos suggests the site has been bushland for it's entire history bar a brief period in the 60's when it was cleared for what was presumably agriculture. Looks like they gave up quickly as by the 70's it was overgown again and remained bushland till the current facility was built.

God knows what the original owner was up to in the wetland area. Some weird parallel embankments that you can see were there in the earliest available pictures (1953) that were still there until recently.

Anyway the clay thing is likely bullshit (the construction era shots show sand: 2015).

Haha, it’s this level of detail that keeps me coming back to BF.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I just remember Devine’s and Tapper’s horse hire.:think: Not much else than scrub back then.

The Dockers had nothing to do with keeping a natural wetland area at the ARC site. The Dept of Planning (specifically at the recommendation of my boss when I worked there ) had specified that the area of wetland in the South East corner of the complex be retained as a condition of the arrangements with the approval of the State Planning Commission to provide the land to the City of Cockburn and the Dockers don't own any of the complex but have a leasing arrangement with Cockburn.

So how much land have the dockers got access to or are they going to get surrounded by housing. Could they ever build embankment or terracing and play Peel games there?

So how much land have the dockers got access to or are they going to get surrounded by housing. Could they ever build embankment or terracing and play Peel games there?
You would need to check with the City of Cockburn what the extent of the leased area is. I would suspect it is only the area within the building where the Dockers offices are which is for their exclusive use as the Oval we train on isn't exclusive use as the City has had a concert there in the past. Peel have a great facility and they would have commitments to play at their facility which is better than what Cockburn has in regards bar and spectator facilities so there is no advantage for that club to play at Cockburn.

Last edited:
It was before it got turned into a farm.
It did have a lake around there that had some weird man made structures running through it though.
But yeah did you miss the;).

Fred if you were a fish I would have to hide behind a tree to bait up at your pond:).

yep, i missed the ironic emoticon.
Blame it on my youth.

I just remember Devine’s and Tapper’s horse hire.:think: Not much else than scrub back then.

Both those horse riding centres were much farther south on Hammond Rd; basically near Russel Rd.

Fremantle Oval is on top of an old limestone quarry.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back