2019 Training Reports

Remove this Banner Ad

That's frustrating regarding Hogan's leading being ignored. Obviously a key gameplan directive, to try and kick over the pack. Hogan training like he's playing for Melbourne, which is what forwards should do anyway. Ignoring the leads to try and get a play happening behind is alot of the problem over the past two weeks. Did Ross or coaches stop training to spray them etc?

As far as practice goes... Is giving one man marking practice - and from the sounds of it uncontested and therefore relatively easy, a good use of time when you have several people there?

If he got free on a lead, he's done his bit, he'd earn a biscuit or two from the coach for being a good boy. For the ball going at/near/over/under/around the pack, that's a chance to work on structure and drill into the squad that you don't all need to go for the ball at once - which is something we've shown needs work.

As far as practice goes... Is giving one man marking practice - and from the sounds of it uncontested and therefore relatively easy, a good use of time when you have several people there?

If he got free on a lead, he's done his bit, he'd earn a biscuit or two from the coach for being a good boy. For the ball going at/near/over/under/around the pack, that's a chance to work on structure and drill into the squad that you don't all need to go for the ball at once - which is something we've shown needs work.
We badly need to practice doing the obvious, which in this case is hitting up the guy on the lead. We really don't want Hogan to be a decoy for the kick to the guy at the back of the pack.

We badly need to practice doing the obvious, which in this case is hitting up the guy on the lead. We really don't want Hogan to be a decoy for the kick to the guy at the back of the pack.

You miss the point Gav. As far as practice goes in that situation, he needs less practice at taking the mark when he has separation than the rest of the team does in working out it's positioning. What would be an uncontested mark for him in this situation is a relatively straightforward proposition - it is just marking (which they do in various sims). That does not mean that on game day he is nothing more than a decoy, that would be silly.

You miss the point Gav. As far as practice goes in that situation, he needs less practice at taking the mark when he has separation than the rest of the team does in working out it's positioning. What would be an uncontested mark for him in this situation is a relatively straightforward proposition - it is just marking (which they do in various sims). That does not mean that on game day he is nothing more than a decoy, that would be silly.
Missing the point would likely be a step forward for our side at the moment.

I think our delivery to the forwards is the bit that needs the most work, not Hogan's marking. And sadly, with our delivery, we are still likely to get heaps of practice for the deliveries going "at/near/over/under/around the pack".

Right on there Gav.
Accurate delivery is nonexistent as soon as we are under pressure which means of course that the pressure just builds and builds.
Hogan appears to me to lose his concentration through lack of service.
Still they have two or three jumping for the same ball and spoiling each other.
Surely that should have been coached out of them by now ?

Training Today.
Well what a difference in the weather today, absolutely beautiful. There was some announcement in the middle at the start of training that drew the biggest applause I have seen out there. Can only assume it was announcing Harleys first game this week. Fingers and toes crossed, he has looked incredible the last two weeks. Also out there and in full training was Stephen Hill who looks to be ahead of schedule, looked pretty sharp considering the lay off. Sandilands was out running but looks way off a start at this stage. Saw Kersten on the sidelines at one stage but didn't notice him training. Training was all end to end and circle work which looked pretty good, but, and here's the but. They had a few short periods shooting for goal from about 30 - 40 metres out, in perfect conditions and although better than last week in the wet, was average at best and the worst offender was Hogan. I saw him take maybe 10 - 12 shots and he missed everyone of them, he looked unhappy with himself. He also recieved treatment a few times for what looked like a hip or groin problem and did several run throughs in front of one of the conditioning guys. He seemed ok afterwards. The other player who kicked poorly was Mitch Crowden. The rest were ok Harley was good at this and also the field kicking. Just hope he can hold together for awhile now. Didn't see Mundy but after the amount of work he has done he needs a bit of a rest. Blakely is looking better for the run and I expect him to really lift in the coming weeks. Didn't see much ruck work being done so no clue to what they will do in finding relief for Lobb who also trained well. Hate to think what would happen if he went down. Logue looks very good now and must be coming under selection notice. Almost forgot Ballantyne he was in full training and really extended himself at times. Looks ready to go. Overall training was good but quite low key and mainly working on ball movement again.
There was no kicking into the forward line similations today which considering recent failure in this area, surprises me.
Hoping for a win. Cheers

Training Today.
Well what a difference in the weather today, absolutely beautiful. There was some announcement in the middle at the start of training that drew the biggest applause I have seen out there. Can only assume it was announcing Harleys first game this week. Fingers and toes crossed, he has looked incredible the last two weeks. Also out there and in full training was Stephen Hill who looks to be ahead of schedule, looked pretty sharp considering the lay off. Sandilands was out running but looks way off a start at this stage. Saw Kersten on the sidelines at one stage but didn't notice him training. Training was all end to end and circle work which looked pretty good, but, and here's the but. They had a few short periods shooting for goal from about 30 - 40 metres out, in perfect conditions and although better than last week in the wet, was average at best and the worst offender was Hogan. I saw him take maybe 10 - 12 shots and he missed everyone of them, he looked unhappy with himself. He also recieved treatment a few times for what looked like a hip or groin problem and did several run throughs in front of one of the conditioning guys. He seemed ok afterwards. The other player who kicked poorly was Mitch Crowden. The rest were ok Harley was good at this and also the field kicking. Just hope he can hold together for awhile now. Didn't see Mundy but after the amount of work he has done he needs a bit of a rest. Blakely is looking better for the run and I expect him to really lift in the coming weeks. Didn't see much ruck work being done so no clue to what they will do in finding relief for Lobb who also trained well. Hate to think what would happen if he went down. Logue looks very good now and must be coming under selection notice. Almost forgot Ballantyne he was in full training and really extended himself at times. Looks ready to go. Overall training was good but quite low key and mainly working on ball movement again.
There was no kicking into the forward line similations today which considering recent failure in this area, surprises me.
Hoping for a win. Cheers
Thanks for the report!

I think the cheer was for Stephen Hill being picked up in the mid-season draft and joining training (Seen on Freos Instagram)

Looked like Hogan stayed out late and did some extra set shot practice too, theres a video floating around on Twitter, hopefully managed to kick atleast 1!

Saw Austin Robertson has offered to come in and teach our forwards how to kick for goal. Could do a whole lot worse.
Forwards need to put in the time to practice goal kicking, and as Hogan is doing, that is mostly a personal skill, with a little input from a skills coach. We need to improve, and not just Hogan. But I think the main areas we need to improve, and that are less solo in their practice are;
  • forward structure
  • leading patterns
  • delivery to the forward 50
At the moment we have little certainty about what is happening in this regard, but once we get a settled group of players and have them on the field together on a regular basis I am confident that will improve.

Training Today:
Very blustery and quite cold down at training this morning. No Sandilands or Kersten and Darcy was only there for a short time, wont play this weekend. Stephen Hill was talking to some people and said he will be back after the bye and the inference seemed to be that it would be in the Freo side. The new boy Dillon O'Rielly was out for the prelimenary kick to kick stuff and received a warm welcome from the boys. Looks a good size and from the limited work he did looks like a good kick. After that he was doing endurance stuff with one of the Physio's. Stephen Hill looks ready to go and Bally the same. It's impossible not to notice Harley Bennell's class in all the excersises, he certainly has some talent. We wait in hope. There was no indication of an ankle injury to Lobb as has been reported by The 6PR Hack. He trained well. watched Hogan kick for goals about half a dozen times and unlike last week, kicked them all. I still have a problem with the fact than in the forward entry practice, Hogans leads are never kicked to. I just don't understand why they persist in kicking to the back end of the forwards. Certainly the field kicking and short passing has improved at training quite dramatically. Cox had a fair bit of ruck work towards the end of training so he will stay in. Not sure where McCarthy lies now, he trains well and seems swithched on but while Cox is the back up ruckmen he is not likely to play. Collyer is probably in the same boat even though his form was impressive with Peel last week. Nyhuis is another who is struggling for a place. It's a good sign so far as depth goes and who goes out for Stephen Hill? Logue continues to train very well and is another looking for a palce in the side. I don't see too many changes this week and that's fair enough, no need to make changes when you win. Overall training was low key, good skills considering the very windy conditions and the players are in high spirits. This week will be a very difficult task especially controlling The Pies Grundy and their excellent midfield. Expect great effort from the boys and you never know. Cheers

S Hill trained fully this morning said he will be back after the bye. Darcy ran laps. The new boy also ran laps. Sharp session and the way they lined up for match SIM there won't be any changes although Pearce left the ground early and reappeared with an ice pack on his elbow
Gtreat news about Hilly, he’s on my membership card and I can’t wait to see him out there. Everything crossed!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Training Today:
Very blustery and quite cold down at training this morning. No Sandilands or Kersten and Darcy was only there for a short time, wont play this weekend. Stephen Hill was talking to some people and said he will be back after the bye and the inference seemed to be that it would be in the Freo side. The new boy Dillon O'Rielly was out for the prelimenary kick to kick stuff and received a warm welcome from the boys. Looks a good size and from the limited work he did looks like a good kick. After that he was doing endurance stuff with one of the Physio's. Stephen Hill looks ready to go and Bally the same. It's impossible not to notice Harley Bennell's class in all the excersises, he certainly has some talent. We wait in hope. There was no indication of an ankle injury to Lobb as has been reported by The 6PR Hack. He trained well. watched Hogan kick for goals about half a dozen times and unlike last week, kicked them all. I still have a problem with the fact than in the forward entry practice, Hogans leads are never kicked to. I just don't understand why they persist in kicking to the back end of the forwards. Certainly the field kicking and short passing has improved at training quite dramatically. Cox had a fair bit of ruck work towards the end of training so he will stay in. Not sure where McCarthy lies now, he trains well and seems swithched on but while Cox is the back up ruckmen he is not likely to play. Collyer is probably in the same boat even though his form was impressive with Peel last week. Nyhuis is another who is struggling for a place. It's a good sign so far as depth goes and who goes out for Stephen Hill? Logue continues to train very well and is another looking for a palce in the side. I don't see too many changes this week and that's fair enough, no need to make changes when you win. Overall training was low key, good skills considering the very windy conditions and the players are in high spirits. This week will be a very difficult task especially controlling The Pies Grundy and their excellent midfield. Expect great effort from the boys and you never know. Cheers
Therein lies the problem to our delivery. It’s obvious the instruction is to bring the forward towards the kicker, ie Hogan as some of dummy then try and hit the long option with the forward ‘cheating’ over the top. Dislike this very much. It makes it easy for defenders to run into to spoil the footy as it takes several seconds in the air. Frustrating

Saw Austin Robertson has offered to come in and teach our forwards how to kick for goal. Could do a whole lot worse.

Players from the old days like to wax lyrical about how kicking for goal was better back in the old days which is actually complete nonsense. Players take tougher shots from tougher angles under more pressure than players did in the 70-80s.

People talk about how Chopper Mayne had a great season with his set shot kicking in 2013 but the reality was he took 90%+ of his shots from directly in front.

Players from the old days like to wax lyrical about how kicking for goal was better back in the old days which is actually complete nonsense. Players take tougher shots from tougher angles under more pressure than players did in the 70-80s.

And are more fatigued. Long gone are the days of a full forward barely venturing out of the goal square.

I can remember Bernie Naylor taking shots from over 50 m out on the boundary and slotting then with torpedo punts. On the same day Bernie kicked over 20 goals against Subiaco.
Bernie was quite a good high mark but relied mainly on leads as he said " there are 6 or 8 players in front of me who can all hit me on the chest with hard low kicks".

I agree. Needs to be someone like this to look at the technique (Tabs ball drop) when they don't realise what they're doing wrong ... and training drills to replicate the game situation in set and shots on the run.
1559206986889.png
1559207009247.png

I can remember Bernie Naylor taking shots from over 50 m out on the boundary and slotting then with torpedo punts. On the same day Bernie kicked over 20 goals against Subiaco.
Bernie was quite a good high mark but relied mainly on leads as he said " there are 6 or 8 players in front of me who can all hit me on the chest with hard low kicks".

He kicked 23.6 that day fair to say the competition wasn't that tough when the team kicked 35.18... not forgetting the game happened 65 years ago and i doubt it somewhat he was slotting them from 50m with a torp

My clutching at strawa contribution to this subject is 15 years ago, after a kick with a mate, I walked ball in arm into the local pub in St Kilda. Striking up a conversation with one of the old Barflys, I asked who the best kick was he ever saw, he replied 'Ive seen a few, but there was a bloke from WA called Austin Robertson who played the state carnivals and he never seemed to miss'.

And are more fatigued. Long gone are the days of a full forward barely venturing out of the goal square.

Fatigue's a big issue and I think the old timers acknowledge that change. That said, Jason Dunstall made long leads and took diving chest marks ... and still kicked them from everywhere. As Robertson says, kicking at goal is not practised enough and has declined.

Fatigue's a big issue and I think the old timers acknowledge that change. That said, Jason Dunstall made long leads and took diving chest marks ... and still kicked them from everywhere. As Robertson says, kicking at goal is not practised enough and has declined.
I dunno, goal accuracy seems to have been pretty stable for a very long time:

Season____Goals____Behinds____Total Shots____Accuracy

1968______2859____2958_______5817_________49.1%

1977______3943____3296_______7239_________54.5%

1978______4157____3305_______7462_________55.7%

1979______4182____3671_______7853_________53.3%

1988______4470____4295_______8765_________51.0%

1998______5012____4491_______9503_________52.7%

2008______5238____4609_______9847_________53.2%

2018______4969____4581_______9550_________52.0%

He kicked 23.6 that day fair to say the competition wasn't that tough when the team kicked 35.18... not forgetting the game happened 65 years ago and i doubt it somewhat he was slotting them from 50m with a torp
I can distinctly remember him being centre front of the old WANFL Members stand which would have been a good 60 odd yards from the goals.

Austin Robertson is a legend.
Only forward we've had close to him was the Great pavlova.
I don't really consider modra a freo player, but he was 2nd best to pav imo

My father's best mate played for South Freo. He was the only player to keep him goaless in a game. Colin was as tough as nails. Shame that he died so young.

His family are avid Freo supporters.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back