2019 Training Reports

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 3, 2001
Darwin NT/Mt Lawley WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
MUFC, Swan Districts
They were watching a different session to me, both were out there for the duration.

Luke Ryan was told to shut up the whinging by Ballas.

Ross surprised by Nyhuis's overlap run during a move the ball from defence drill.

Ross bemoaned the fumbling and missed targets at one stage.

Liked Jason Carter's kicking.

Sturt given a reminder to hustle a couple of times, both approaching the ball and in defence.

Two brief sessions of casual goal kicking.

Eastaugh mentioned to another coach Sean Darcy's handballing issues are due to a lack of footwork.

Jesse and Brennan did a lot of speed controlled run throughs. Followed by a small amount of kicking, and Jesse finished with some zig zag (more like a wave)running, then short sharp ball work/marking.

Oct 12, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
They were watching a different session to me, both were out there for the duration.

Luke Ryan was told to shut up the whinging by Ballas.

Ross surprised by Nyhuis's overlap run during a move the ball from defence drill.

Ross bemoaned the fumbling and missed targets at one stage.

Liked Jason Carter's kicking.

Sturt given a reminder to hustle a couple of times, both approaching the ball and in defence.

Two brief sessions of casual goal kicking.

Eastaugh mentioned to another coach Sean Darcy's handballing issues are due to a lack of footwork.

Jesse and Brennan did a lot of speed controlled run throughs. Followed by a small amount of kicking, and Jesse finished with some zig zag (more like a wave)running, then short sharp ball work/marking.
Was the casual goal kicking just take pop shots in a break from other drills like in the past? Any dedicated goal kicking drills?

Was Austin Robertson there to give feedback and on kicking techniques like he's been asking the club last year and this year to do?

Is Ross with his extremely poor record in this area or the club so arrogant that we don't think we need to address this skill in a comprehensive manner?

I notice there is an article on Percy Johnson in today's Worst that someone in charge needs to take note of when we blatantly disregard legends of the game being available for the club! I got Percy's age wrong, it's 86 years old not 82 like I said in an earlier post. It's not only his knowledge in goal kicking but helping Goddard out with centre taps at Claremont that they value and that has made a measurable difference in the few years that Percy has been contributing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

awaremind

Premiership Player
Aug 11, 2012
AFL Club
Fremantle
No disrespect, just being real. Maybe he can teach our fwds to run 2kms a whole game and take shots unfatigued and without social media oppression hanging over their heads.
Obviously we have an issue there but it's nothing a 90yo hall of famer can help with.
Id agree if all the players ran straight at the goals and kicked straight through the ball with consistent technique.

did anyone see training session this morning.?
There should be some young blokes putting their hand up for selection
Darcy / Sandi both looking fit?

It was an open session so not much would have been done.

Oct 12, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
Be serious. He would add nothing
Too late, Percy Johnson's taken. In the three or so years he's been working with Claremont players have a record of huge improvement in set shots for goal, especially for those players who in the past were more than likely to miss.

He was in the Worst for working with young Jeremy Goddard with his ruck work this year and an acknowledgment of the improvement Percy has helped him make. His knowledge has only made him a valuable asset to Claremont with age not an issue.

It's Austin Robertson we've been discussing with his Post article printed here, where he dissects some of our players technique (Hogan, but he'd already done an article on Tabs) that the club seems to have the same arrogant and dismissive attitude as you with.

Total arrogance and disrespect to say we don't need a legend of the game who's been offering for two years publically to help with kicking technique because we are not correcting and improving ourselves.

Technique is only one part of the equation and different training drills that can replicate the perceived pressure of set shots and kicking for goal on the run is the second part. We need both and are doing neither. I've given examples of this in past posts.

Oct 12, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle

Nodgey

Premiership Player
Aug 14, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SDFC, Liverpool, Scorchers
As with rotations and the possession game-style, Freo were yet again well ahead of the curve with coaching 'technique'. Remember when we had Olympian gymnast Allanah Slater at the club helping players with their technique? And as we did with our 'chip and draw' game style and high rotations, we were laughed out of town. But I tell you what, there are many players who are still awful with their set shot kicking and a coach teaching them the knack of perfecting on concentrating on technique would be most beneficial. I notice Lobb now does the skip skip run-up with his set shots...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back