Official Club Stuff 2019 Trevor Barker Award - Seb Ross wins his 2nd B&F!

Who Wins?

• Rowan Marshall

Votes: 66 66.7%
  • Jack Billings

Votes: 16 16.2%
  • Tim Membrey

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • Josh Bruce

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Jade Gresham

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Hunter Clark

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Jack Steele

Votes: 4 4.0%
  • Seb Ross

Votes: 8 8.1%
  • Other

Votes: 2 2.0%

• Total voters
Not the first time an award has gone to someone who was not the favourite. And it won’t be the last.

Seb is a fine player whose reputation is diminished on footy forums such as this when the team is down and his own performance contains both good and bad elements.

Rowan is the shiny new toy who has wowed us with an unexpected first full year performance that gives us hope for the future. Full of brilliance and promise.

After what we have experienced in the last few days I really don’t care about who they gave it to.

Well done Seb.

Well done RoMa.

Oct 2, 2010
AFL Club
St Kilda
Massive congrats to Wilkie. What a year. Plucked out of the SANFL as a mature recruit and finishes 7 in the B&F and plays every game. What a year, what a find.
Crazy to think he wasn't in the frame to play rd1 until after the siren of our last JLT game yet was as solid as a rock all season down in defence and did good jobs on some of the games biggest names as well.

Yawkey way

Norm Smith Medallist
May 8, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Red sox
It’s probably more a frustration to where our list is at. Easier to take a quick swipe than create a storm. I don’t think Seb was our best this year, but it’s not his fault the votes went his way.

What it does highlight is our lack of top end talent on the list. Ratts addressed this end of the year and again last night. We know the issue, let’s hope we begin to fix it.
Ratts is right hopefully we have plenty of improvement left in the players who remain on our list.

Do we know who they were, possible ITK status up for grabs.
Or possible ----------- status , Without trying to sound nasty Seb winning shows why we are an average team ATM , he is the bloke that im guessing 50% of people on here wanted to trade ,

Last edited:

VDS66

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 4, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
The two extra games Seb played over Marshall and Steele were the difference in the end. I don't think he is a bad winner and I don't think him winning it was a surprise either - he was always going to finish in the top three.

People get overly, and unfairly, frustrated with Seb over very small things that don't even get mentioned for others. If he played for anyone else, he is the type of player people would spent pages suggesting we spend our first to trade him in. The constant calls drop him or trade him always baffle me - we need betters players around Seb to make us better rather than getting rid of our only consistently, high performing midfielder. It's just the perils of being the whipping boy I guess.

I think the bigger surprise is that Billings didnt finished top 3, and was a decent amount of votes behind the others. I had him as our best player all year, he got our most coaches votes and was in the best most weeks. To finish a good 20 votes behind 2nd and 3rd was a shock.
Spot on as always Brutus.

Not sure why people get their knickers in a knot.

It's an award based on the season past which included many variables such as number of games and the fact we had players injured that might have taken votes off him.

He's a fourth best mid who was asked to play as our number one mid.

Stuv plays 10 games and all of a sudden the vote allocation changes and you get different winner.

TassieSaint

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 5, 2007
Hobart
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Tassie Tigers
Some seriously shithouse comments filling up this thread. Ross is not some spud, he's been consistently one of the better mids going around (not elite but not too far off, not unlike many of Jack Steven's bnf seasons) for a few years now and would be a gun in any side in the comp. His disposal can be questionable but he's trying to do a lot as a clearance player, and his disposal efficiency is better than a lot of other star mids like for e.g. Bont and Dunkley.

I thought Marshall or Billings would get up but not at all surprised by Ross and if you look at his games week by week he was consistently one of our best players almost every single week. Plenty of time for the younger guys to win one going forward and the top 5 hardly says we're in trouble.

For those cracking the shits over an internal club award and bagging one of our best players, get over yourselves and congratulate the winners. I very much doubt Marshall is as salty as half the people reacting in this thread are. Jesus Christ.

VDS66

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 4, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
It’s probably more a frustration to where our list is at. Easier to take a quick swipe than create a storm. I don’t think Seb was our best this year, but it’s not his fault the votes went his way.

What it does highlight is our lack of top end talent on the list. Ratts addressed this end of the year and again last night. We know the issue, let’s hope we begin to fix it.
Very accurate.

He was voted best of an average lot.

And it's why I don't put much weight on the outcome of these awards.

Was having a chat with a colleague yesterday who had seen Bradbury talk.

Brads addressed the challenge that he didn't deserve to win. He said he deserved to win because of all the hard work he put on and obstacles he overcame to get to the Olympics. Not his fault the others fell over.

Mikka84

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 9, 2009
AFL Club
St Kilda
Not the first time an award has gone to someone who was not the favourite. And it won’t be the last.

Seb is a fine player whose reputation is diminished on footy forums such as this when the team is down and his own performance contains both good and bad elements.

Rowan is the shiny new toy who has wowed us with an unexpected first full year performance that gives us hope for the future. Full of brilliance and promise.

After what we have experienced in the last few days I really don’t care about who they gave it to.

Well done Seb.

Well done RoMa.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Seb won the B&F
And I love you

Seb Ross > Jack Steven.

Stuv kicks goals but he can absolutely torch the footy as well.

Seb will look much better next year with Hanners as the #1 inside, Hill as the #1 outside and Steele smashing the opposition #1 on-baller. Clark is going to another level with that inside, goal kicking, silk. Coffield will be pushing up on ball and resting forward as that aggro, finger pointing, BJ Goddard clone that he is. Time to hand over the GOAT mantle Acres.

Then Zac Jones will walk into our midfield as the 4th or 5th inside option and be able to just absolutely pig root campaigners into the dirt knowing that the whichever of the Bash Bros (Long, Parker, Hind, Young, Kent and S.Gray) has been named will swoop in to back him up in the melee.

Seb's gonna be able to float through the stoppages, doing as he pleases with 30 touches a week, and feed it forward to guys like Gresh and Billings or out the back to Wilkie and Battle.

Also Jack is leaving so he can get stuffed :p

Pull you head in mate. Leave Baz alone.

Arguably the most senior and most gentleman poster on here.
Your a fine one to be telling people how to behave
If Baz wants to call us immature because we didn't pick Seb to win the B&F i think i have every right to reply

Saintsman33

Senior List
Mar 8, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
Well done Seb.

Think everyone is a little frustrated because this year was very much a changing of the guard type year.

New Presidents first crack at it
Richo gone
Young players stepping up
Favourite sons leaving

Roma or Steele winning would've just been a nice bow on a nicely wrapped present for the future.

We're going the right way, most of the top 10 were guys under 25.
Ratts seems hungry
The president seems resolute

The think I like about the president is that he's openly said that footy isn't his strong suit, so he deflects to people who know it better (Like Roo)

We're in good hands.

Ducky Tie

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 15, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
B&Fs are generally rewarding of consistent performance and getting on the park for most/all matches. Seb was always going to be up there. As a board, the criticism of him is pretty ridiculous. It's pretty obvious that the harshness on him is misdirected annoyance at the state of our midfield. We all know that to be the team we want to be, Seb probably needs to be our third/best mid-not our number one. This somehow gets taken out on Seb and he gets ridiculed. I feel like if we are lucky enough to improve our midfield significantly, Seb will be viewed very differently by some.

Gotta say I’m very surprised Ross won it. Thought it was clearly out of Marshall & Steele with Billings coming 3rd

I'm with you joop with the top 3 place getters.....my pre function trifecta was

Marshall
Billings
Steele.

The guy sitting next to me last night had the same.

Sitting here still wondering how he beat Marshall.

Sep 14, 2008
L2 A30
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
Surprised that he actually won it as I thought it would have been Marshall followed by Steele then a raffle between Billings/Gresh/Ross for 3rd place.

The only thing that really annoys me about Ross is some of his efforts this year to chase a player and literally walk after then not giving a yelp. There were 4 or 5 examples that I was left shaking my head saying no captain of a football club would do that.

Spot on. Its a part of his game that he needs to rectify... it's a higher priority than his kicking IMO.

Lenny2020

Cancelled
Feb 6, 2019
AFL Club
St Kilda
Seb Ross > Jack Steven.

Stuv kicks goals but he can absolutely torch the footy as well.

Seb will look much better next year with Hanners as the #1 inside, Hill as the #1 outside and Steele smashing the opposition #1 on-baller. Clark is going to another level with that inside, goal kicking, silk. Coffield will be pushing up on ball and resting forward as that aggro, finger pointing, BJ Goddard clone that he is. Time to hand over the GOAT mantle Acres.

Then Zac Jones will walk into our midfield as the 4th or 5th inside option and be able to just absolutely pig root campaigners into the dirt knowing that the whichever of the Bash Bros (Long, Parker, Hind, Young, Kent and S.Gray) has been named will swoop in to back him up in the melee.

Seb's gonna be able to float through the stoppages, doing as he pleases with 30 touches a week, and feed it forward to guys like Gresh and Billings or out the back to Wilkie and Battle.

Also Jack is leaving so he can get stuffed :p

Do you mean to say that Ross is a better footballer than Steven?

Have to disagree there. Steven at his best is better than Ross.

Browny2Carlisle

Premiership Player
May 2, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
I am staggered by a few comments suggesting Seb wasn't in our best 5 players this season, or that some people are calling him weak, suggesting there is some shifty politics behind the vote. Some people need to seriously pull their head in.

He is a very deserving winner of this award which is designed to recognise our best player over all 22 games this season - not just the one who had a great back half or who smashed everyone's expectations of how good they could be. It rewards consistency, the players who do their role every week and those who dont play bad games.

Some rankings for Seb among his peers this season:
First for the club in disposals, kicks, inside 50s, effective disposals, bounces, meters gained and score involvements.
Second at the club for tackles, handballs, uncontested possessions.
Third at the club for total clearances and stoppage clearances.
Forth at the club for centre clearences.
And Fifth at the club for goal assists, contested possessions and rebound 50s.

This tells me he was a major contributor in every aspect of our game this year.

What about hitouts though :moustache:.

Congrats to Seb he is very deserving but I just had Marshall winning with Ross and Steele just behind him.

Marshall led the way in the rankings for things like contested possessions, clearances and score launches and came close in a bunch of other stats. He put in 110% every game. There just seemed to be a genuine lack of acknowledgement for Marshall by the coaches until later in the season.

Without trying to sound nasty Seb winning shows why we are an average team ATM , he is the bloke that im guessing 50% of people on here wanted to trade ,

I think you pretty well nailed it Captain........that was the view of the people sitting around me.

And I suspect yr right that a lot on here wanted Seb traded...….that thought flashed thru my head when it was announced that Roma secured second place.

Anyway....congrats to Seb.....Roma certainly gave the crowd a run for their money.......the absolute crowd favorite by the length of the Flemington straight.

Stewart66

Premiership Player
Saints Pledge Contributor
Jul 27, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
The two extra games Seb played over Marshall and Steele were the difference in the end. I don't think he is a bad winner and I don't think him winning it was a surprise either - he was always going to finish in the top three.

People get overly, and unfairly, frustrated with Seb over very small things that don't even get mentioned for others. If he played for anyone else, he is the type of player people would spent pages suggesting we spend our first to trade him in. The constant calls drop him or trade him always baffle me - we need betters players around Seb to make us better rather than getting rid of our only consistently, high performing midfielder. It's just the perils of being the whipping boy I guess.

I think the bigger surprise is that Billings didnt finished top 3, and was a decent amount of votes behind the others. I had him as our best player all year, he got our most coaches votes and was in the best most weeks. To finish a good 20 votes behind 2nd and 3rd was a shock.

With absolute respect the reason he gets criticism from supporters I go with (they all have played at high level)
in no particular order is his genuine desire to defend , the execution of the disposal has little thought ( he
has a few mates )

Back