Official Club Stuff 2019 Trevor Barker Award - Seb Ross wins his 2nd B&F!

Who Wins?

• Rowan Marshall

Votes: 66 66.7%
  • Jack Billings

Votes: 16 16.2%
  • Tim Membrey

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • Josh Bruce

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Jade Gresham

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Hunter Clark

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Jack Steele

Votes: 4 4.0%
  • Seb Ross

Votes: 8 8.1%
  • Other

Votes: 2 2.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Sully111

Premiership Player
Jun 10, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
I wish nothing but the best for Seb... appreciate his contribution to the team. I just can't go "yeah that's great" when he's voted our BEST and fairest when he's clearly not. Obviously, others rate him higher than i do. It's nothing personal with Seb.... he's not my "whipping boy"... I just don't think he's that good, and I don't think he played that well this year. I also don't see an issue saying I don't agree with him winning the award.
I thought Marshall should have won.

Yawkey way

Norm Smith Medallist
May 8, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Red sox
If we make finals will be because we have developed our own internally. Hill is off-set by the loss of Stuv and Bruce going is our second highest goals scorer and only a couple off top. If we don't get a decent return from King straight away and or Ryder/ Roma we will struggle to score still.

I think with proposed trades we are not making a massive difference. Injury relief will make a huge difference though. We had so many out this year.

Interesting hearing Seb Ross say that losing Lonie hurt as he's the leader of our forward line.
Lonie was up and about at the beginning of the season playing really good football so it’s no surprise we missed him.

What is surprising is that a player who was almost out of the club this time last year is the leader of our forward line. It would be interesting to hear the coaches thoughts on that, I guess there’s no reason why a small crumbing forward can’t be personally I would have though Bruce was the man.

I guess I’m used to seeing the key forwards like plugger or roo directing traffic, demanding space etc. I Guess it comes down to what he means by leader lonie is obviously quite vocal on the field.

Fair enough Baz , it was just how you worded it :thumbsu:

Ps , im not sure they were abusive towards Seb , i think a lot including myself worry about our club , if Seb can win 2 B&F s we are not a very strong side and have a long way to go

No one thinks we have a strong midfield and with out Stuv a very weak midfield. He played worse this year than last but had no competition. Steele I thought was good without being great, Gresh was average, Dunny average, Billings payed all over and much more loose. Hanners was good but not outstanding and only played a few games.

Marshall was great and nearly won it apart from missing 2 games probably would have.

Seb will be a better player when he's our 3rd or 4th best mid not our prime mover. He was excellent last year.

Lonie was up and about at the beginning of the season playing really good football so it’s no surprise we missed him.

What is surprising is that a player who was almost out of the club this time last year is the leader of our forward line. It would be interesting to hear the coaches thoughts on that, I guess there’s no reason why a small crumbing forward can’t be personally I would have though Bruce was the man.

I guess I’m used to seeing the key forwards like plugger or roo directing traffic, demanding space etc. I Guess it comes down to what he means by leader lonie is obviously quite vocal on the field.

Same as Bruce this year, they aren't very good at list management. Wilkie and Marshall were accidental heroes this year, two Rookies both only played in position due to injury necessity, both top 10 players this year.

Yeh, I was there. When the siren went I was too choked up with emotion to talk.

I was there too but I was too young to appreciate what had happened and so spoiled to think there would be many more.

Interesting hearing Seb Ross say that losing Lonie hurt as he's the leader of our forward line.

I posted my thoughts on Lonie a couple of weeks ago, so it is interesting to hear Seb's take on Lonie's injury.
Every team will face some sort of adversity during the season. What is important is how the team responds to that adversity and IMO the Lonie injury had negative impact on the group. For the team to have sustained success, we really need to get better in this space.

To me the Lonie injury seemed to knock the wind out of our sails. For whatever reason the team was never the same after that injury. Our upward trajectory to that point took a steep downturn and never recovered.

I was there too but I was too young to appreciate what had happened and so spoiled to think there would be many more.

The first GF we made in my lifetime was '97 and that left a huge mark on me when I was young. '66 would have been pretty special to see, I'd love to just have one in my life time. I'm losing hope I ever will.

I posted my thoughts on Lonie a couple of weeks ago, so it is interesting to hear Seb's take on Lonie's injury.
Every team will face some sort of adversity during the season. What is important is how the team responds to that adversity and IMO the Lonie injury had negative impact on the group. For the team to have sustained success, we really need to get better in this space.
IMO Lonie is ok , he is no star and if we are relying on him to leed us to the promised land well its going to be a long wait , I know Seb said he was a loss but also look at who we played up to round 5 and them look who we played , a big difference .
It appears that some are still getting carried away with us beating a few teams that were either a rabble or completely out of form in the first five rounds , as soon as we played the better teams we go pumped so im not sold on the Lonie injury cost us .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

May 17, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
curious to know the rest of the standings specifically battle Clarke newnes Acres hind
What does it say? Most posters have become obsessed with bagging him. He can butcher 3 kicks in a game but have an outstanding game and people only see the bad points. As I said a couple of weeks ago, if he was at another club like Collingwood or GWS we'd be wondering how many first round picks wed have to give up for him and lusting after him.

Posters aren't good list managers. Most would trade the good players out for draft picks that we'd probably waste anyway. Good list management is not selling off talent, it's about pooling it. Selling off Bruce is like the Dees selling Jeremy Howe. the club will tell you how good the idea is but it's a result of them making bad decisions in the past and wanting picks back.
Very much doubt he would even make their teams let alone be some sort of star player.
IMO he is a very ordinary player and proves that most weeks.
I think we missed a good oportunity to reward a guy who I think will be the clubs figure head for the next decade.

Last edited:
May 17, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
IMO Lonie is ok , he is no star and if we are relying on him to leed us to the promised land well its going to be a long wait , I know Seb said he was a loss but also look at who we played up to round 5 and them look who we played , a big difference .
It appears that some are still getting carried away with us beating a few teams that were either a rabble or completely out of form in the first five rounds , as soon as we played the better teams we go pumped so im not sold on the Lonie injury cost us .
It was a convenient excuse but really it was just a coincidence that that was the start of the free fall

Very much doubt he would even make there teams let alone be some sort of star player.
I think we missed a good oportunity to reward a guy who I think will be the clubs figure head for the next decade.
If they voted for the B&F like they do with Australia's Got Talent I would agree with you.

However with the B&F you collect votes each round. The votes are done at the time. Regardless of how you finished the year and how great your year is viewed, every game matters. So when you start off relatively modestly and then build throughout the year, you're going to get results like this. Especially if you miss a game or two.

As things currently sit we don't have the luxury to reward a player with the B&F.

They simply have to collect enough votes for 22 weeks to get it.

It was a convenient excuse but really it was just a coincidence that that was the start of the free fall
There were plenty on here before the Adelaide game at home saying we would beat them , i was of the complete opposite view even though they were not traveling well, Our club needs to get mentally stronger and stop getting owned by teams , something about the SA teams turns us to water at times

What you are implying is that if Lonie had not been injured we still would have got pumped by the better teams. The form of a team is a fickle thing and it can disappear without warning. Look no further than Geelong this year. I think the salient point here is the captain of the club has stated that the Lonie injury had an effect on the group. To what degree the Lonie injury hurt us I can't say. All I can do is reiterate the point I was trying to convey in my original post.
What is important is how the team responds to that adversity and IMO the Lonie injury had negative impact on the group. For the team to have sustained success, we really need to get better in this space.

Last edited:
Very much doubt he would even make their teams let alone be some sort of star player.

They don't make it up on a vibe, they vote on the games. Rowan missed 2 games and it was probably the difference. You can't just give it as an encouragement award. How does he prove he's ordinary each week? I see people spazzing about how bad he was when he's had good games on here. It's confirmation bias.

Lonie was playing further from goal early in the year and much more like he does at VFL level. When he came back he was much more stagnant and went backwards. Lonie probably wasn't the cause of the downfall but the weight of injuries started to bite after already struggling before that.

Lonie was playing further from goal early in the year and much more like he does at VFL level. When he came back he was much more stagnant and went backwards. Lonie probably wasn't the cause of the downfall but the weight of injuries started to bite after already struggling before that.
Yes injuries and the teams we played

May 17, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
They don't make it up on a vibe, they vote on the games. Rowan missed 2 games and it was probably the difference. You can't just give it as an encouragement award. How does he prove he's ordinary each week? I see people spazzing about how bad he was when he's had good games on here. It's confirmation bias.
It's not an exact science voting. I can't imagine the coaches put an enormous amount of thought into who they are going to give votes to after the game. Too many other things on their minds. Usual suspects get the votes as always midfielders. Romo winning the players vote is probably more important anyway.
And again my opinion only that Ross is a good ordinary player at best. Sh1ts me to tears that he is our premier midfield. Poor kick, weak tackles on the rare occasion that he does tackle, not exactly fearless, not steady under pressure, no right foot to speak of, can't kick a goal to save his life....anyway I think you can get how I feel about him as a footballer

mightymalaka

What we have here is a failure to communicate!
May 7, 2018
Road to Nowhere
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Manchester United
Oh Gringo Gringo....Don't tell me they have got you spouting that confirmation bias crap now!
I understand your defending your man and good on you for doing so
But people think i'm overly harsh on Ross and feed me that confirmation bias crap too
I am harsh because my eyes tell me he is not a very good footballer in what i value as passing that test!

Don't like players that pick up cheap possies without benefitting the team especially if they are an outside player!
Don't like players that don't chase!
Don't like players that go missing regularly when the game goes up a level!
Don't like players that get physically intimidated!
Especially don't like any of those attributes in a captain!

If that's Confirmation bias then bias me up baby!
I do not particularly care if others agree or not
But i will always hold the right to criticise whomever i want without
All the fan boys losing their sh!t, like it somehow makes me disloyal doing so!

Rant over!

Oh Gringo Gringo....Don't tell me they have got you spouting that confirmation bias crap now!
I understand your defending your man and good on you for doing so
But people think i'm overly harsh on Ross and feed me that confirmation bias crap too
I am harsh because my eyes tell me he is not a very good footballer in what i value as passing that test!

Don't like players that pick up cheap possies without benefitting the team especially if they are an outside player!
Don't like players that don't chase!
Don't like players that go missing regularly when the game goes up a level!
Don't like players that get physically intimidated!
Especially don't like any of those attributes in a captain!

If that's Confirmation bias then bias me up baby!
I do not particularly care if others agree or not
But i will always hold the right to criticise whomever i want without
All the fan boys losing their sh!t, like it somehow makes me disloyal doing so!

Rant over!

Look at all the high possession players, they make mistakes. Heppel, Merrett, Shiel etc all fit your list. Most clubs players turn over the ball sometimes and plenty are soft. Considering he was all those things and the opposite to everything Richo stood for, he must have been giving good BJs to win a couple of awards. I remember the same soft stuff about Cripps, Dal Santo, Billings etc. Seb is the least of our issues.

If we trade away Billings, Bruce, Seb, Savage, Carlisle and all the other best of what we have players we will be even shitter than what we are now. We need some stars but selling off the decent players is just dumb management. It will be popular with a few people but when the club is still s**t in 4 years the same people will have given up on us.

Lololol
We have our B&F and a player wins who some on here didn't think would win.
He's no hack mind you. A previous winner.
And we get melts???
giphy (3).gif

Boy O boy it's gonna be a long off season.

Back