2019 U15 and U16 Discussion

AFL Club
West Coast
There definitely is a state 16s academy already established they started training at the end of last year. Don’t know the full details but a mates boy is in it.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
I have mates whose kids are in their respective wafl clubs getting ready for the 16s carnival but are saying their kid is playing state 16s. I thought after the 16s carnival they announce the state 16 squad then. that's whats happened in previous years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AFL Club
Collingwood
I have mates whose kids are in their respective wafl clubs getting ready for the 16s carnival but are saying their kid is playing state 16s. I thought after the 16s carnival they announce the state 16 squad then. that's whats happened in previous years.
I thinks it’s the state 16s academy I don’t think the actual state team will be picked till after the 16s carnival

AFL Club
Hawthorn
I thinks it’s the state 16s academy I don’t think the actual state team will be picked till after the 16s carnival
The state 16s squad doesn't get selected till after the development carnival. Kids that were part of 15s last year, or unders from the 16s squad last year can be asked to continue doing state development over the break and preseason but they aren't in the state squad as such. It is more that they are tagging kids of interest and continuing to work with them.

jackenny

Club Legend
AFL Club
Gold Coast
settle down fellas. defensive much? if a kids good enough he'll make it without his parents enquiring and needing confirmation about how good he is. I sounds like its more about the parents than the kid. who said anything about upending a family to send this kid to a good school (presumably Aquinas as the original poster, who apparently is not the father, watchfromadistance has told us this is the school this kid goes to)? Hardly sounds like a sacrifice to me. anyway, onwards and upwards...
Definition of a good school?
I wasn't being defensive. I was agreeing with the person I quoted that a lot of kids that make it to AFL level get there with the help of very invested parents, and added that attending 'good schools' plays a big part, too. For instance, it's common for kids to receive scholarships for schools like Xavier or Melbourne Grammar on the back of their AFL talent, and attending these schools does play a part in increasing a kid's chances of being drafted. It's just the politics of the drafting process and getting the chance to even attend the carnivals mentioned in this thread. What school you attend helps. It just is. Obviously, this might require a family to upend their lives and move. For example, moving from QLD to VIC requires some sacrifice. Your kid might not even receive a full scholarship, either - so you'll find parents making financial sacrifices and scrumming for cash, too.

Zurgblade

Senior List
AFL Club
West Coast
settle down fellas. defensive much? if a kids good enough he'll make it without his parents enquiring and needing confirmation about how good he is. I sounds like its more about the parents than the kid. who said anything about upending a family to send this kid to a good school (presumably Aquinas as the original poster, who apparently is not the father, watchfromadistance has told us this is the school this kid goes to)? Hardly sounds like a sacrifice to me. anyway, onwards and upwards...
The point I was trying to make is that a number of posters seem to tear another person down for asking questions.

Believe it or not, if you significantly invest in a player, you naturally become very interested in hearing what others have to say about them.

Unless your being touted as a top 20 draftee, I don't think many people would have be overly confident about their chances and hence why you see these posts popping up.

Virgin Dog

Club Legend
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I wasn't being defensive. I was agreeing with the person I quoted that a lot of kids that make it to AFL level get there with the help of very invested parents, and added that attending 'good schools' plays a big part, too. For instance, it's common for kids to receive scholarships for schools like Xavier or Melbourne Grammar on the back of their AFL talent, and attending these schools does play a part in increasing a kid's chances of being drafted. It's just the politics of the drafting process and getting the chance to even attend the carnivals mentioned in this thread. What school you attend helps. It just is. Obviously, this might require a family to upend their lives and move. For example, moving from QLD to VIC requires some sacrifice. Your kid might not even receive a full scholarship, either - so you'll find parents making financial sacrifices and scrumming for cash, too.
This is very much true what you're saying. It is especially relevant for kids from regional areas, where you need to have wealthy/invested parents if you want any hope of making it.

If you don't have that level of support behind you, you better hope you're indigenous and therefore have access to countless other football programs, or else you're shit out of luck.

There's even been cases of development squads being indigenous only from some areas, therefore excluding anyone else and denying them the chance to proceed any further.

AFL Club
Hawthorn
This is very much true what you're saying. It is especially relevant for kids from regional areas, where you need to have wealthy/invested parents if you want any hope of making it.

If you don't have that level of support behind you, you better hope you're indigenous and therefore have access to countless other football programs, or else you're shit out of luck.

There's even been cases of development squads being indigenous only from some areas, therefore excluding anyone else and denying them the chance to proceed any further.
Very true.
Look at West Coasts' Next Generation Academy.
That aside, hats off to any kid that gets drafted.
Odds are certainly against then, even more so from WA. Bigger pool and certainly not as much coverage as the east coast.

briztoon

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
Very true.
Look at West Coasts' Next Generation Academy.
That aside, hats off to any kid that gets drafted.
Odds are certainly against then, even more so from WA. Bigger pool and certainly not as much coverage as the east coast.
What’s West Coast’s catchment area for their academy?

AFL Club
Collingwood
Yesterday peel and a few other teams had some scratch match’s before the up coming 16s carnival did anyone get a chance to watch and see how the teams went?

Pykie

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
Jackson Archer was one of the better players in the u/15's inter league circuit last year.

He's in the Knights u/16 squad so will be interested in their games whether he makes the Metro u/16 squad.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AFL Club
West Coast
Yesterday peel and a few other teams had some scratch match’s before the up coming 16s carnival did anyone get a chance to watch and see how the teams went?
Not sure but I started another thread if youre interested in WA up and coming talent. not to take from this one of course! its called WA Junior talent from 2019 and beyond or something like that.

Top Bottom