Under Age AFL U15s and U16s

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 14, 2014
AFL Club
Gold Coast
settle down fellas. defensive much? if a kids good enough he'll make it without his parents enquiring and needing confirmation about how good he is. I sounds like its more about the parents than the kid. who said anything about upending a family to send this kid to a good school (presumably Aquinas as the original poster, who apparently is not the father, watchfromadistance has told us this is the school this kid goes to)? Hardly sounds like a sacrifice to me. anyway, onwards and upwards...
Definition of a good school?
I wasn't being defensive. I was agreeing with the person I quoted that a lot of kids that make it to AFL level get there with the help of very invested parents, and added that attending 'good schools' plays a big part, too. For instance, it's common for kids to receive scholarships for schools like Xavier or Melbourne Grammar on the back of their AFL talent, and attending these schools does play a part in increasing a kid's chances of being drafted. It's just the politics of the drafting process and getting the chance to even attend the carnivals mentioned in this thread. What school you attend helps. It just is. Obviously, this might require a family to upend their lives and move. For example, moving from QLD to VIC requires some sacrifice. Your kid might not even receive a full scholarship, either - so you'll find parents making financial sacrifices and scrumming for cash, too.

Zurgblade

Team Captain
Feb 14, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
settle down fellas. defensive much? if a kids good enough he'll make it without his parents enquiring and needing confirmation about how good he is. I sounds like its more about the parents than the kid. who said anything about upending a family to send this kid to a good school (presumably Aquinas as the original poster, who apparently is not the father, watchfromadistance has told us this is the school this kid goes to)? Hardly sounds like a sacrifice to me. anyway, onwards and upwards...

The point I was trying to make is that a number of posters seem to tear another person down for asking questions.

Believe it or not, if you significantly invest in a player, you naturally become very interested in hearing what others have to say about them.

Unless your being touted as a top 20 draftee, I don't think many people would have be overly confident about their chances and hence why you see these posts popping up.

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I wasn't being defensive. I was agreeing with the person I quoted that a lot of kids that make it to AFL level get there with the help of very invested parents, and added that attending 'good schools' plays a big part, too. For instance, it's common for kids to receive scholarships for schools like Xavier or Melbourne Grammar on the back of their AFL talent, and attending these schools does play a part in increasing a kid's chances of being drafted. It's just the politics of the drafting process and getting the chance to even attend the carnivals mentioned in this thread. What school you attend helps. It just is. Obviously, this might require a family to upend their lives and move. For example, moving from QLD to VIC requires some sacrifice. Your kid might not even receive a full scholarship, either - so you'll find parents making financial sacrifices and scrumming for cash, too.
This is very much true what you're saying. It is especially relevant for kids from regional areas, where you need to have wealthy/invested parents if you want any hope of making it.

If you don't have that level of support behind you, you better hope you're indigenous and therefore have access to countless other football programs, or else you're s**t out of luck.

There's even been cases of development squads being indigenous only from some areas, therefore excluding anyone else and denying them the chance to proceed any further.

Mike Dawson

Debutant
Oct 12, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
This is very much true what you're saying. It is especially relevant for kids from regional areas, where you need to have wealthy/invested parents if you want any hope of making it.

If you don't have that level of support behind you, you better hope you're indigenous and therefore have access to countless other football programs, or else you're s**t out of luck.

There's even been cases of development squads being indigenous only from some areas, therefore excluding anyone else and denying them the chance to proceed any further.
Very true.
Look at West Coasts' Next Generation Academy.
That aside, hats off to any kid that gets drafted.
Odds are certainly against then, even more so from WA. Bigger pool and certainly not as much coverage as the east coast.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
Very true.
Look at West Coasts' Next Generation Academy.
That aside, hats off to any kid that gets drafted.
Odds are certainly against then, even more so from WA. Bigger pool and certainly not as much coverage as the east coast.
What’s West Coast’s catchment area for their academy?

Mike Dawson

Debutant
Oct 12, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
IMG_20190212_141026.jpg
Here

Rainsparks

Debutant
Feb 8, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Yesterday peel and a few other teams had some scratch match’s before the up coming 16s carnival did anyone get a chance to watch and see how the teams went?

Pykie

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life North Melbourne - North 2007 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
Jackson Archer was one of the better players in the u/15's inter league circuit last year.

He's in the Knights u/16 squad so will be interested in their games whether he makes the Metro u/16 squad.

BigDance

Cancelled
Jul 27, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
Yesterday peel and a few other teams had some scratch match’s before the up coming 16s carnival did anyone get a chance to watch and see how the teams went?
Not sure but I started another thread if youre interested in WA up and coming talent. not to take from this one of course! its called WA Junior talent from 2019 and beyond or something like that.

BigDance

Cancelled
Jul 27, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
WA
1. Kyron Hayden
2. Joseph Ugle
3. Jack Lewsey
5. Kyle Donaldson
6. Alex Cabassi
7. Jaimon Alone
8. Callan England
10. Jake Patmore
11. Casey Phillips
14. Christian Ameduri
15. Lachlan Mitchell
17. William Reidy
18. Jakeb Shine
19. Gregory Humphries
23. Blake Pescud
24. Zavier Williams
25. Cameron Green
27. Brandon Starcevich
28. Lachlan Sherriffs
29. Ben Miller
30. Aaron Naughton
34. Sam East
36. Stefan Niemann
39. Bowe Roads
40. Jack McGrath
I was wondering how many of these players got drafted? I’ve only heard of a few!

Aug 23, 2010
Information Superhighway
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Exers, Gryffindor, Rich+Ess AFLW, Tassie
I was wondering how many of these players got drafted? I’ve only heard of a few!

Bolded = 2020 listed players.

1. Kyron Hayden. (NM.)

8. Callan England. (WCE 2018.)
10. Jake Patmore. (PA.)
27. Brandon Starcevich. (BL.)
29. Ben Miller. (RICH.)
30. Aaron Naughton. (FOOT.)

Aug 23, 2010
Information Superhighway
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
The top 20 as Future Stars put it:

1. Noah Anderson (Oakleigh)
2. Emerson Jeka (Western Jets)
3. Matthew Rowell (Oakleigh)
4. Hayden Young (Dandenong)
5. Deven Robertson (Perth)
6. Jack Mahony (Sandringham)
7. Kysaihah Pickett (WWT Eagles)

8. Liam Delahuntly (Coolamon)
9. Jamieson Rossiter (Eastern Ranges)
10. Luke Jackson (East Fremantle)
11. Cameron Taheny (Norwood)
12. Sam Flanders (Gippsland)

13. Karl Finlay (Norwood)
14. Mitch Fitzpatrick (GC Academy)
15. Anthony Davis (Claremont)
16. Dylan Stephens (Norwood)
17. Caleb Serong (Gippsland)

18. Jared Dakin (Launcestin)
19. Dylan Williams (Oakleigh)
20. Josh Rayner (Willougbly)

Bolded = who got drafted.

Aug 23, 2010
Information Superhighway
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bolded = drafted.
Italicised = confirmed trainer for vacant spot on a club's list.

Victoria's SSV U12 squad in 2013:

Noah Anderson - Auburn Primary School
Jehtt Brazionis - Cheltenham Secondary College
Nick Burke - Stella Maris Catholic Primary School, Beaumaris
Joel Capetola - St Clement of Rome School, Bulleen
Adam Carafa - St John's School, Heidelberg
Josh Daniel - St John's School, Heidelberg
Marcus Emmett - Geelong Grammar School, Toorak
Jack Hindson - Fairfield Primary School
Deklan Loveridge - Mildura South Primary School
Finn Maginness - Brighton Beach Primary School
Jack Mahony - St Kevin's College, Toorak

Harris Mastras - Kew East Primary School
Fischer McAsey - Elsternwick Primary School
Matthew Rowell - Mont Albert Primary School

Cooper Saunders - Maiden Gully Primary School
Caleb Serong - Warragul Primary School
Brock Smith - Lowanna Secondary College, Moe
Cooper Stephens - Trinity College, Colac

Ryan Sturgess, Sacred Heart School, Diamond Creek
Jack Toner - Beaconhills College, Pakenham
Jackson Voss - St Bede's College, Mentone
Dylan Williams - Roberts McCubbin Primary School, Box Hill South
Luke Winter - St Kevin's College, Toorak

BigDance

Cancelled
Jul 27, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
Bolded = 2020 listed players.

1. Kyron Hayden. (NM.)

8. Callan England. (WCE 2018.)
10. Jake Patmore. (PA.)
27. Brandon Starcevich. (BL.)
29. Ben Miller. (RICH.)
30. Aaron Naughton. (FOOT.)
6 out of 25 isn’t that great a strike rate is it?

BigDance

Cancelled
Jul 27, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
It's just 170cm midfield accumulators who dominate up to U16s then don't get a look-in beyond that.
Yeah there seems to be plenty of them around at the 12-15 year old mark. Everyone thinks they’re going to be a star. These are the kids with facial hair at 13 and done growing by 14.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back